Options

Is there any other alternative

Lincoln HawkLincoln Hawk Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is it just me or is it that cisco press books are harder to comprehend? I’ve been studying for CEENT exam for almost 4-months now. I’ve been using Todd Lammle’s study guide and just recently purchase a copy of Odom’s study guide just for the free copy of Boson’s. I took several of Boson’s practice exams and found out I’m nowhere near as ready as I thought I was for this exam.

So I started reading Odom’s book and found out reading his book is like reading a foreign language. WTH...how is it that Odom’s practice questions are understandable and I’m capable of answering correctly (I guess that came from reading Lammle’s book) but the written material within is hard to understand? I really enjoyed reading lammle’s book. He has a very unique writing style.

I’m just looking for suggestions. If any of you have some, please share and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    hooklowhooklow Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's Cisco. Don't feel bad. Read Todd Lammle’s book all the way, skim, move on to Cisco press, you will get it. If you can try CBTs. CBTnuggets and Train Signal are great. CBTnuggets are more "fun", Train Signals will get you there and some more. One thing I would say don't rush it. Read what feels natural than try Cisco press, once you get to Cisco books it will be more of a refrasher. I found it more prodoctive to use two or more sources than re read same book multiple times (if I did not get it first 4 times why would fifth make the differance?) I use old books (previous tests) as a first read, those can be had for few buck and are mostly relavent. If you can get a lab going, start small, I'm shocked they don't sell Cisco on my corner, this stuff is addicting. It worked for me your milage may vary.
    good luck
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Todd's book is GREAT for subnetting and hits all the high points you'll need to know for the exam -- you may not understand a lot of it, but if you can remember it you can probably pass the exam.

Wendell's books cover EVERYTHING, and then some, that you'd need to know and understand to crush the topics on the CCNA Exam blueprint -- and lay a GREAT foundation for future Cisco CCNP study.

If I could only suggest one item to study and prepare for the CCNA and lay the foundation for a networking career (and possible future CCNP) I'd go with Wendell Odom's Cisco CCNA Certification Library.

But since spending your money doesn't cost me anything -- I'll usually recommend both Todd's & Wendell's books. :D

Plus if you're a "video person" (and we're still spending your money) you can look at CBT Nuggets and/or TrainSignal training videos. It's nice to have an Instructor point out what's important if you haven't been able to figure it out from your reading.

I also will usually suggest the Chris Bryant Ultimate Study Guides for the people who need help getting over the "hump."

Just remember that there is a big difference between gaining the knowledge and skills to master the topics listed in the exam blueprint -- and learning just what you need to pass the exam. I'd rather work with people from the "knowledge & skill" group.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I guess I should also mention that with most Cisco Exams, the more hands on lab practice you do, the easier the stuff becomes.

Doing the exercises in Todd's book and trying the examples in Wendell's books helps you understand and retain the information.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I guess I should also mention that with most Cisco Exams, the more hands on lab practice you do, the easier the stuff becomes.

Doing the exercises in Todd's book and trying the examples in Wendell's books helps you understand and retain the information.
    +1 on the lab practice

You could always do the tried and trusted method of one chapter, one beer. That is of course assuming you are of legal drinking age.
  • Options
    ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    Is it just me or is it that cisco press books are harder to comprehend? I’ve been studying for CEENT exam for almost 4-months now. I’ve been using Todd Lammle’s study guide and just recently purchase a copy of Odom’s study guide just for the free copy of Boson’s. I took several of Boson’s practice exams and found out I’m nowhere near as ready as I thought I was for this exam.

So I started reading Odom’s book and found out reading his book is like reading a foreign language. WTH...how is it that Odom’s practice questions are understandable and I’m capable of answering correctly (I guess that came from reading Lammle’s book) but the written material within is hard to understand? I really enjoyed reading lammle’s book. He has a very unique writing style.

I’m just looking for suggestions. If any of you have some, please share and thanks in advance.

Lammle's book is awesome. I personally vote that #2, #1 being CBT nuggets. if you don't understand it with Jeremy Ciora teaching it.. you might want to find another field icon_lol.gif

Seriously, he's awesome. Watch those, read Lammle's book, rinse, repeat.
  • Options
    jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    Don't stress over the Boson question's, they are harder than the real exam. But they are great for prep work. I felt the same way the first time I did their test, it will hurt your confidence when you take the Boson test for the first time.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I have to say that it depends on each individual. I have read the ICND1 and ICND2 books from Wendell Odom and I think they are awesome books. I didn't think the material was too boring, and it didn't put me to sleep. To be honest, I actually used just these text books, and two other books that were basic intro books. I think the ICND1 and ICND2 press books give you all the information you need. If you apply this information to labbing out everything that you can and learning by doing so, you'll find they aren't as boring as they may seem. They are full and complete and lay the ground for basically everything you virtually need to know to pass the CCNA. Like I said it is each individual. Some people may love them, some may not. If they don't really work for you, check out a few others and see what you like. That is definitely why there is more than one author to choose from :)
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally i found Odoms ICND1 & 2 books to be awesome. I read them after watching the CBT Nuggets videos and going through Lammles book.

Once you have a good idea of the subject matter, then going through Odoms books is quite enjoyable.
  • Options
    Mark KnutsonMark Knutson Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Over the years I have used a couple of other books to learn about tcp/ip. I think the odom books represent a pretty comprehensive and methodical approach, and I am learning more than I did with the less structured reference books.

OTOH, I have been working with networks as a user for years, just not fully understanding what I was doing or why, so maybe it was easier to get started with odom. At work we have a class b internal network, and when I saw that the third octet of the gateway was different than the third octet of the host address, I thought there was some sort of mistake. I guess I thought the entire world was a class C network.

The ability to buy inexpensive old cisco gear and work the stuff out is also a big plus. I wish I had worked on cisco certification years ago. Set up a lot of home networks wondering why the IP addresses usually started with 192.

Obviously the lammle book is about a third of the pages of the two odom books for ccna. Is odom talking about too much or lammle too little? I have his book too. I am in no position to judge, but when I read from multiple sources, I have better memory retention.