Options

Upgrade internal wireless card

dalesdales Member Posts: 225
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has done this before. I have a rather cheapo laptop (I inherited it) which has an internal wireless G network card on a daughter board. I have just purchased an wireless N router and to try and keep things tidy wonder if it would be possible to upgrade the internal card. I have emailed the manufacturers of the laptop to ask them but just wondered if anyone had actually changed their internal wireless card for something else before.

If not I'll just use usb (not sure how long this laptop will last TBH so dont want to go overboard on upgrades for it)

Ta Muchly!
Kind Regards
Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
Blog: vhorizon.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You can usually upgrade it by swapping in another wireless card but you may run into trouble with the BIOS refusing to recognise it. The card you'll have to source yourself but it doesn't necessarily need to be the same brand as the existing card.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've done it on a Fujitsu P1120 I inherited from my last job, but only after a whole lot of Googling to find something that was compatible. I tried a Netgear USB adapter as well, but the antenna on it was way too weak.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is definitely possible. People who buy the Asus EeePC have to in order to be able to do packet injection. The install is typically easy, and you can even install an external RP-SMA Female head between the Ethernet and the usb port on the left side for increased range through your fancy folgers cantenna.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • Options
    dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Thanks for the replies, I got a stock reply from the manufacturer saying that they do not have any n class upgrades (not particularly surprising). I'll have a little look round to see if I can find one but as I say I'm not sure how long the laptop is going to last.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk