Weird profile issue

arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
One of my users logged in this morning and XP built a new profile for her (we don't use roaming profiles). Logged into her machine and her former profile is like 'user' and the one it created is 'user.domain'. I'm guessing maybe the old profile was corrupted somehow? I copied all the old data to the new profile and all is well now. Weird. icon_neutral.gif
[size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
What's left: Graduation![/size]

Comments

• steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have seen this with roaming profiles too. The server copy of the profile becomes corrupted, or the security settings on the profile folder have been changed and the profile cannot load.

I've had to kill their profile too in these cases and copy the contents of Desktop, My Documents, Favourites, recent Files etc etc over to the new profile.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good to know that's somewhat normal, I just didn't want the week to start out with some sort of epidemic. icon_lol.gif
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Seen it happen as well, although I recall seeing a message about not being able to load the users profile due to resources, IIRC it's been a few years.

-Ryan
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Usually a permissions thing or some kind of registry thing. Often times when ive seen this i find the error where it said the users registry sections could not be unloaded at logoff and therefore it hoses the profile, so they log on again and get a new one.

Also, if you have a local account and domain account with the same name then it will make a "account" and "account.domain" profile for the seperate accounts.