Options

Number of physical NICs for dynamips lab?

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
I'll hopefully be moving on to my NP studies by the end of the month, and I think I'm going to go the dynamips/dynagen route. I was curious about how many physical NICs I'm going to need in order to connect to my switches and do the relevant labwork. I already have a few, but they're not compatible with Vista/7 icon_sad.gif

Also, I have three 2950s and one 3550. I believe a second 3550 is recommended. Is that correct?

Comments

• Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have only browsed through the BCMSN lab book and I do know it recommended a low end WLC, 2x 1242, 2x 3560(aka 3550 for us budget builders), 2x 2960, and a few routers.

Heh, oh ya the main question:
    Not sure about BSCI but BCMSN it doesn't look like many.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Trunk it to a switch and then break it out there?
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'll hopefully be moving on to my NP studies by the end of the month

Do you take the ICND2 yet?
  • Options
    I'm up in a week or two.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Out of curiosity Dynamik, did you have to have a router to do the CCNA? I am hoping to avoid having to buy one when I start my CCNA studies.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At a minimum you'd probably want 2 network cards working with dynamips that you could plug directly into your switches.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Out of curiosity Dynamik, did you have to have a router to do the CCNA? I am hoping to avoid having to buy one when I start my CCNA studies.

I have a mix of 2500s and 2600s in addition to the switches. I'm glad I spent the time playing around with actual equipment, but I'm tight on space and need money, so I'm going to start selling them off. I just need to quit being lazy and get the specs on all of them, so I can post them up icon_redface.gif
    mikej412 wrote: »
    At a minimum you'd probably want 2 network cards working with dynamips that you could plug directly into your switches.

What would be ideal? I don't want to go overboard, but I want to make sure I can adequately perform necessary tasks.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    dynamik wrote: »
    What would be ideal? I don't want to go overboard, but I want to make sure I can adequately perform necessary tasks.

Ideally you would have one or two quad port NICs. I don't think you'd have much of an issue with only two, or none at all. You could do your routing stuff in Mips and your switching stuff with your physical stuff.

Also, one 3550 is enough for BCMSN, two is better, but one is enough.
  • Options
    Cool. Thanks everyone :D
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Quad port NIC's?

/strokes beard.