Options

PowerMAt

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
TEers:

This thing looks like it will be the sh1t. I am not ashamed to admit that I know what I want for Christmas (if it works right).

Powermat: Upstart Wireless Charger Breaks Big for Launch - Advertising Age - News

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I've seen something similar or even that particular product before. Its a nice idea but until these special power receiver coils are built into the device by the manufacturer its just a hassle. You have to replace something like the battery door, have a small charging plug which you plug in each time or have a receiver unit glued to the back. All 3 aren't great solutions.

I assume the battery door either wires directly into the battery somehow which poses some questions about what exactly happens when you bypass the internal charging circuitry or it has a flying lead that goes to the regular charging connector.

The way you'd do it properly which would require a global standard is to integrate the receiver coils into everything. Construct desks or bedside cabinets with multiple transmitter pads which only turn on when it senses something on top and turn off when its fully charged the device. Ensure that whatever EM emissions that this thing gives off doesn't slowly cook any of your anatomy. The Powermat already does some of these.

The Palm Pre has a special battery door that works with their wireless charging system but you still need to drop the Pre onto the Touchstone charger. If you're doing that anyway then why don't you just drop it into a regular cradle?

There is also the "green" angle as well. You're going to be losing some power through this wireless transfer stage.
  • Options
    This is going to sound dumb but I thought radio waves were very weak thus when I think of something charging something else wirelessly I am wondering how?
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    This is going to sound dumb but I thought radio waves were very weak thus when I think of something charging something else wirelessly I am wondering how?
    Its done by magnetic coupling between two coils. One big one in the transmitter and a smaller one in each of the receiver units. Similar to how a transformer works.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Its done by magnetic coupling between two coils. One big one in the transmitter and a smaller one in each of the receiver units. Similar to how a transformer works.

OK. That makes since because magnets are relative strong (??).
  • Options
    OK. That makes since because magnets are relative strong (??).
    Magnetic coupling is just more efficient in short range applications like this. You could make something which pumps out a powerful RF signal but you'd be wasting power since you don't want or need it to go more than a few inches away from the pad.

A magnetic field or a RF field can be as strong as you want it. The magnetic field off a MRI scanner is incredibly strong and dangerous because metallic objects in the room tend to want to fly towards the scanner at high speed. If you're in the way then bad luck. The RF output of a broadcast radio station would kill you if you actually touched the antenna since they're pumping out at least KWs and even MWs in larger transmitters.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Magnetic coupling is just more efficient in short range applications like this. You could make something which pumps out a powerful RF signal but you'd be wasting power since you don't want or need it to go more than a few inches away from the pad.

A magnetic field or a RF field can be as strong as you want it. The magnetic field off a MRI scanner is incredibly strong and dangerous because metallic objects in the room tend to want to fly towards the scanner at high speed. If you're in the way then bad luck. The RF output of a broadcast radio station would kill you if you actually touched the antenna since they're pumping out at least KWs and even MWs in larger transmitters.

Dude you're the sh1t. I would add to your rep if I could. I must get my electrical/energy knowledge up so I can be a more well rounded tech/engineer.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Dude you're the sh1t. I would add to your rep if I could. I must get my electrical/energy knowledge up so I can be a more well rounded tech/engineer.

Not to burst your bubble, but trying to match Tiersten's knowledge is an exercise in futility...
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Not to burst your bubble, but trying to match Tiersten's knowledge is an exercise in futility...

Lol wow. So there is no hope huh?