Options

The 70-642 Exam

sund33psund33p Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys/gals,

This is my first time posting here. I didn't read the forum rules thoroughly, so please excuse me if I'm committing a 'faux pas'.

I am studying for the 70-642 exam using the LabSim dvd. The information and presentation is solid in my opinion, but I am having a real difficult time passing the Practice exams. I cant get past 50%(500) and the passing score is 950 out of 1000.

I am also using the uCertify test simulator, and I actually passed 4 of their tests, with average to flying colors. Passing is 750 in the uCertify. This also has an Adaptive feature.

So my questions are:
1. Has any one used either the LabSim or the uCertify and have any opinions on them?

2. Are the questions in the real exam close to the LabSim or the uCertify tests?

3. In the real test do you get to select if you want to take an adaptive test or a normal test?

4. To all who reply to this post or have passed the 70-642, how long did you study and what is your experience?

A little background about myself:
Ive always been a technologist ever since I was young. I have dabbled in UNIX/Linux systems since I was in my teens, and 10 years later I am working as an "It Guy" (I dont like that term but sadly that's what I am) at a technology(engineering) company. I also have programming experience with c/c++ little bit of x86 assembly, and recently getting into c#/SQL and .NET. So my work experience with Windows servers (2003 and 2008 ) have been limited to 1 year, doing general help desk support(Oh what I wont give to elevate out of this) supporting 6 servers and 70 clients. I am the only "IT guy" there. I have been studying for the 70-642 test since September 17th (after work, so thats about 3-4 hrs a day) until I am being hassled by my lovely wife. I want to take the test on October 17th before my yearly review....

Should I give my self another month? I feel 50/50 about this

Comments

• Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you aren't super familiar with the content, you may want to pick up one of the Microsoft Self-Paced training kit books. That is what I am using and it seems to be very thorough. I cannot attest to the DVD you mentioned.
  • Options
    rsutton wrote: »
    If you aren't super familiar with the content, you may want to pick up one of the Microsoft Self-Paced training kit books. That is what I am using and it seems to be very thorough. I cannot attest to the DVD you mentioned.

I still have a couple of modules left to complete. I think I have a thorough understanding of Ip addressing and services and also of Name resolution. I am shaky on the rest. I think I need to complete the rest of the modules. Thanks for the reply!
  • Options
    texasittexasit Member Posts: 147
    sund33p wrote: »
    Hey guys/gals,

This is my first time posting here. I didn't read the forum rules thoroughly, so please excuse me if I'm committing a 'faux pas'.

I am studying for the 70-642 exam using the LabSim dvd. The information and presentation is solid in my opinion, but I am having a real difficult time passing the Practice exams. I cant get past 50%(500) and the passing score is 950 out of 1000.

I am also using the uCertify test simulator, and I actually passed 4 of their tests, with average to flying colors. Passing is 750 in the uCertify. This also has an Adaptive feature.

So my questions are:
    1. Has any one used either the LabSim or the uCertify and have any opinions on them?

2. Are the questions in the real exam close to the LabSim or the uCertify tests?

3. In the real test do you get to select if you want to take an adaptive test or a normal test?

4. To all who reply to this post or have passed the 70-642, how long did you study and what is your experience?

A little background about myself:
    Ive always been a technologist ever since I was young. I have dabbled in UNIX/Linux systems since I was in my teens, and 10 years later I am working as an "It Guy" (I dont like that term but sadly that's what I am) at a technology(engineering) company. I also have programming experience with c/c++ little bit of x86 assembly, and recently getting into c#/SQL and .NET. So my work experience with Windows servers (2003 and 2008 ) have been limited to 1 year, doing general help desk support(Oh what I wont give to elevate out of this) supporting 6 servers and 70 clients. I am the only "IT guy" there. I have been studying for the 70-642 test since September 17th (after work, so thats about 3-4 hrs a day) until I am being hassled by my lovely wife. I want to take the test on October 17th before my yearly review....

Should I give my self another month? I feel 50/50 about this

By Labsim you are talking about the Testout software correct? I used the testout material to pass the 70-642 and I reviewed the Mspress book as well.I didn't use the test questions in the testout software I used the Measureup tests included in the mspress book.
    It took me 5 weeks to prepare for the 642.
  • Options
    texasit wrote: »
    By Labsim you are talking about the Testout software correct? I used the testout material to pass the 70-642 and I reviewed the Mspress book as well.I didn't use the test questions in the testout software I used the Measureup tests included in the mspress book.
    It took me 5 weeks to prepare for the 642.

Yes its the TestOut product, some of the questions on the TestOut are pretty hard. Not that I don't welcome difficulty, but I'm trying to gage the actual test. So the MeasureUP questions are close to the actual test?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well I used LabSim for the Exchange 2003 exam, the practice exams were definitely harder than the actual exam. I wasnt scoring too highly on them (in the 600s), but on the actual exam I scored over 800. This might give you an idea of how LabSim stacks up to the actual exam. I havent used MeasureUp for the 2008 exams, but I have heard good reviews about them.

Although MS dont tell you whether the exam is adaptive or normal, I think I can safely say that most if not all MS exams are normal and not adaptive.

I used uCertify a little bit for the 620, their questions were way too easy. If I remember correctly, I blitzed through their practice exams. Again, I havent been using them for my 642.

I have my 642 on the 23rd. I have been using the CBT Nuggets, the MS Press book and PrepLogic. Preplogic currently have a promotion going. About 150-200 practice questions for $10, you might want to check them out. I think they are good.

If you have some money to spend, I'd recommend the Nuggets for this exam. Maybe get your employer to cough up some money.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    texasittexasit Member Posts: 147
    sund33p wrote: »
    Yes its the TestOut product, some of the questions on the TestOut are pretty hard. Not that I don't welcome difficulty, but I'm trying to gage the actual test. So the MeasureUP questions are close to the actual test?

The measureup questions give you a good feel for what to expect in the exam.If you can pass the measureup tests with an average score of 90 or more than I would say you might be ready.
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Well I used LabSim for the Exchange 2003 exam, the practice exams were definitely harder than the actual exam. I wasnt scoring too highly on them (in the 600s), but on the actual exam I scored over 800. This might give you an idea of how LabSim stacks up to the actual exam. I havent used MeasureUp for the 2008 exams, but I have heard good reviews about them.

Although MS dont tell you whether the exam is adaptive or normal, I think I can safely say that most if not all MS exams are normal and not adaptive.

I used uCertify a little bit for the 620, their questions were way too easy. If I remember correctly, I blitzed through their practice exams. Again, I havent been using them for my 642.

I have my 642 on the 23rd. I have been using the CBT Nuggets, the MS Press book and PrepLogic. Preplogic currently have a promotion going. About 150-200 practice questions for $10, you might want to check them out. I think they are good.

If you have some money to spend, I'd recommend the Nuggets for this exam. Maybe get your employer to cough up some money.

I do have the nuggets one too, but I like the TestOut one because of the way its presented. Too bad the Nuggets one doesn't have any questions.