Google Voice

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I got an invite to google voice today!!!

Anyone else get one.

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ok this is the sh1t. It works like a charm.
  • carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    Had mine for like a month.... Haven't used it since I first set the thing up. I have not found any real use for it... yet!
    carboncopy wrote: »
    Had mine for like a month.... Haven't used it since I first set the thing up. I have not found any real use for it... yet!

1 word: telemarketers
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    knwminus wrote: »
    Ok this is the sh1t. It works like a charm.

I've had mine for around 2 months. I like it a lot, it is the phone number i use on my resume. That way when its splattered all over the internet I don't have to worry about someone getting a hold of my real number. I love the voice mail to text message option. It has a little trouble with a very thick accent but usually it is pretty close.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    carboncopy wrote: »

Same here. I've had it for a while and played with it at first. Its pretty cool, but I don't trust it to use as my main number yet. I do enjoy the call screening feature though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My gripe is the audio delay. It drives me crazy...

Other than that I like it! Especially the call screening feature :)
  • 120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    I've had one for about two months. I haven't really done much with it, but I have plans to tie it into an Asterisk box.
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    120nm4n wrote: »
    I've had one for about two months. I haven't really done much with it, but I have plans to tie it into an Asterisk box.

@120nm4n: How hard is it to setup an Asterick box?
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
  • 120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    @120nm4n: How hard is it to setup an Asterick box?

I haven't done it myself yet, but it seems pretty easy:
    Nerd Vittles Tweaking Asterisk for Free Google Voice Calling

This site has a TON of great Asterisk information.
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
    I think that it is a little strange to have gmail, gcalendar, gdocs, gxyz and soon to be an android based phone. When google takes over the world, the information that they have will be incredible.

At any rate the service is great and using it on the resume is a really good idea. I wonder if this is a step towards google opening up its own isp/cell phone company. Also has anyone got an invite for google wave?
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have it, but have yet to find a use for it. icon_sad.gif
  • 7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since they started the SMS>email forwarding I use it more so for the free texting than anything.

7lowe wrote: »
    Since they started the SMS>email forwarding I use it more so for the free texting than anything.

It is pretty cool but honestly I think that particular feature can be more of a hassle than its worth. I wonder if there is a way to determine someones real phone number from there g voice phone number or would reverse lookup end with google corp as the owner of the phone number? Testing time.....
    How is it a hassle? Someone sends me an SMS it goes to my GMail which is pushed to my iPhone and I'm notified instantly. Then if I want to respond I just do it through GV Mobile since my iPhone is jailbroken, or through the web interface if it wasn't. Much better than paying $.25 each way or whatever it costs.

How is it a hassle? Someone sends me an SMS it goes to my GMail which is pushed to my iPhone and I'm notified instantly. Then if I want to respond I just do it through GV Mobile since my iPhone is jailbroken, or through the web interface if it wasn't. Much better than paying $.25 each way or whatever it costs.

I don't like the web interface for texting. There was quite a delay when texting from it. Sending text messages to it on the other hand is nice.

It is a pretty sexy product. The one thing I would like would be personalized voicemail box greetings. Like say you my boss and you call me and I miss it, I would like that to go to a certain mailbox that has a certain greeting or possibly flagged in the system a certain way. If it is just a buddy or worse someone I dont want to talk to at all, I would want that to go to a certain mailbox or get flagged a certain way. There maybe a way to do this but I haven't messed with it to much.
    Yeah, you can do individual messages specific to callers (determined by caller ID.) But, as far as I know all the messages just go to the same box.

I wonder if you hit reply to an SMS that was delivered to an e-mail if they would route the email back to the sender via SMS. I would think they would, but haven't tested it yet.

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've actually started to use Google Voice more now, it has a feature that fits a unique need I currently have.

I have been utilizing the call recording feature to record conversations I have with my attorney. This is a great feature so I can go back and reference anything they have said without having to worry about forgetting to write something down or otherwise having to call them and rack up a bigger bill. It also allows me to keep record just in case there would be an issue down the road where they would deny saying something. Lastely, since I begin recording immediately I have a record of how long we spoke for that is stored off my phone where it's less likely to be lost - just in case they decide to bill excessively.

My only complaint about the call recording, and I can completely understand why Google did it - is how it announces the recording has started (or stopped if you stop recording mid-call). Wisconsin is a one party state thus only requires the consent of one party of the call (me) to legally record the conversation. Not all states are this way, so I suppose it is in Google's best interest to play it safe. Not that big of a concern though really, if my attorney wasn't comfortable with me recording our conversations - I would want to choose a different attorney.
    Just confirmed that replying to an SMS delivered to email does work.

I have been utilizing the call recording feature to record conversations I have with my attorney.

I thought I read somewhere that it only worked on incoming calls. Or, does it work outgoing too?

Lots of tips on discreet voice mail greetings and other features are at: Google Voice Blog

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I thought I read somewhere that it only worked on incoming calls. Or, does it work outgoing too?

Lots of tips on discreet voice mail greetings and other features are at: Google Voice Blog

Incoming only unfortunately, I have him call me at my Google voice number. I was honest with my atty and explained that I prefer to record things so I don't forget and have to waste his time and my money to refresh my memory. It's true and he's fine with calling me back so I can record.