Options

Yahoo mail hacked today?

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
Did anyone else get attacked with a trojan when loading their Yahoo web mail? It seemed like it's fixed now but around noon pacific Yahoo tried to load a trojan when logging into their web mail.

Weird thing is none of the tech news outlets said anything about it.

Comments

• Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    Talic wrote: »
    Weird thing is none of the tech news outlets said anything about it.

Maybe because it only happened to you?

Do you know anyone else that had this happen to them?
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's not being reported because it didn't happen. GMail went down for 30 minutes a few weeks ago and it was world-wide news. If Yahoo was hacked and loading trojans everyone would be talking about it.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I'm pretty sure I wasn't phished, I used the bookmark I always used and my kaspersky security suite has phishing protection.

Kaspersky came back and said it was a trojan, so do you guys think it was a false positive? Here's a screenshot:

kaspersky.png
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    HEUR:Trojan-Downloader.Script.Generic means the scanning engine heuristic algorithms thinks that it could be sort of trojan downloader but it isn't a positive match to anything.

The problem with heuristics is that you either have it set with a low threshold and get a high number of false positives or have it set with a high threshold and potentially let malicious code through. In this case, it is a false positive if you look at the Kaspersky forum.

What Paul Boz said anyway. If there was a real trojan of some kind on a high profile site like Yahoo then you'd see warnings about it everywhere.

Googling HEUR:Trojan-Downloader.Script.Generic and Yahoo brings up all the necessary details...