Options

Activation of Windows under VMWare

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
I have a MS Technet subscription and I'm going to call them with this question, however wanted to pick some people's brains here.

I've googled around too, and really wasn't able to find a clear answer.

I have in my VMWare Env a number of Win XP Clients and some Win 2003 servers. I want to get them all updated with Automatic Updates, however I am wondering if I activate them, what will happen, say if I have to blow away my VMWare env and start over.

Not sure how many times I can use the keys that I have.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've activated XP, Server 2003, etc. repeatedly for 2+ years. I have dozens of VMs fully activated.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Unless you do significant changes to your VMware environment like changing physical CPU and several other virtual components at the same time, it shouldn't fail the checks that require reactivation. Even if you did, you can just call them up to reactivate if you've run out of attempts on that particular key.

Are these actual production VMs?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The keys you get from TechNet are "Multiple Activation". These are for education/evaluational purposes. I haven't run into a limit for activations, so I just activate whenever I create a new VM.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are really worried about the activations in a test environment, clone the machines after you activate the master and then run NewSID to rename and generate a new SID.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Yes, backup the VMs after you activate them. If anything ever goes wrong, you can restore the VM from an already activated backup. This action doesn't violate Microsoft's EULA.

An alternative for Windows XP is the copy/replace-the-wpa.dbl file trick. This action does violate Microsoft's EULA.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I called MS Technet support line and they basically said it is unlimited.

You can check how many times you have activated a product by looking in Technet under the downloads part.

The only bummer is that under Linux, VMWare only allows a person to have one snapshot, so I'm making them as I go along.

thanks
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    The only bummer is that under Linux, VMWare only allows a person to have one snapshot, so I'm making them as I go along.
    That is a limitation of VMware Server and not Linux. Nothing to stop you from just backing up the files anyway. If you want to clone then you'll need to edit the VM config file to alter the UUIDs and other settings however.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Hyper-V will let you keep a pile of snapshots per machine.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Hyper-V will let you keep a pile of snapshots per machine.
    So will ESXi and ESX.