Options

Exercise / weight software?

wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I have a "Founders" membership that I got from my mother it entitles me to a much lower gym cost to a big gym in Minnesota known as "Life Time Fitness" I'm no gym rat and to be honest I go maybe twice or three times a month.

But I've gained maybe 20 or 30 pounds in the last year from not working (I used to walk around everywhere at my last job so I stayed "fit") well I've been wanting to start making a plan to go more starting twice or three times a week and go there.

But I lack motivation other than I know I need to lose this weight and I know it would help me be healthier (besides cutting out the mt.dew... ******* addictive caffeine) anyway does anyone know or use some software that can track progress, do calorie tracking and give suggestions on meal planning , workout and weight tracking?

I honestly have no clue where to start and typing like "exercise tracking software" into Google brings up really shady sites like "Best.exercise.software.infoblog.com" stuff I'd never visit.

First off I think the motivation of seeing my stats pile up on a graph and be able to see some kind of progress other than personally would be a big benefit and motivator for me.

Also meal planning I SUCK at meal planning growing up my mother always worked and we were poor so we ate boxed dinners alot so thats what I buy I usually eat a lot of processed meals other than I make Tacos and a few other items that aren't boxed so finding something that breaks down a good / healthy meal that I can goto the store and buy the ingridents and make said meals I think would also go along way.

I know I'm asking for a lot here and honestly I don't expect a straight anwser as I know this is a tech forum not a gym rat forum.

Sorry for the length just typing this out and then ralizing what I"m really looking for.

Thanks again :)

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LIVESTRONG.COM - Health, Fitness, Lifestyle | LIVESTRONG.COM

Also has an app for the iPhone that synchs with your account.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dynamik wrote: »

Wow, this is a great site! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    dynamik wrote: »

Great looking site, now I can spend an hour on this site instead of exercising...icon_redface.gif

Looks cool,:D spent some time on it and will use it to track my intake, and exercise habits....

Thanks
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I dont know of any software but this site ROCKS...

It helped me train for almost 10 years and develop good training programs when I did personal training myself.

TESTOSTERONE NATION | FORUMS

BreadFan
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is a great free program for diet tracking:

CRON-O-Meter
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wii Fit, if you can deal with the nagging little board character. I get my weight and BMI calculated as well as my progress tracked and charted.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I lost 115lbs back in 2007. I didn't really use any site to track my progress but used a similar site to obtain a lot of information on what I could/should eat and what not. There are many other sites like this and personally I think this is the best approach towards weight loss; you need to know what is going into you and how to utilize it. Good Luck!

The Calorie Counter
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I find it too hard to keep up with that software. Its easier to just stick to a good diet and go to the gym or jog when you can. I went from around 300 down to 225 doing this.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I find it too hard to keep up with that software. Its easier to just stick to a good diet and go to the gym or jog when you can. I went from around 300 down to 225 doing this.

+1 on that....you put it just right.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

I agree. That's what I like about Wii Fit. All I have to do is turn it on and stand there.
  • Options
    Knives OutKnives Out Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    FitDay.com is another site you can use to keep track of weight, goal weight, calories, even moods :)
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. Sadly I have the red headed step child of awesome mobile phones. The G1 :P seems like all the really really useful apps are on the iPhone but not on the G1 lol.

I'll give a few of these sites a whirl and I went to cooks.com and found some stuff I really like to eat and how to make htem myself instead of buy them pre packaged and what not.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    If you're looking to shed fat and change your shape then tracking your progress by taking photos of yourself is the best way in my book.

Take a photo regularly, say once a week. In the same place with the same lighting.

First thing to do is sort your diet out.

No fizzy drinks.
    No processed food.
    No cakes, sweets, choclates etc.
    Cut down on carbs. i.e. pasta, rice, potatoes..
    Eat plenty of green veg.
    Eat plenty of lean meats.
    Eat good fats, eggs, nuts. etc.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Knives Out wrote: »
    FitDay.com is another site you can use to keep track of weight, goal weight, calories, even moods :)

I used this site while doing P90x and thought it worked great.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    tuscanituscani Member Posts: 121
    ifitness is the best iphone app
  • Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A site that I would highly recommend is Bodybuilding.com. They have a social networking portion of their site called bodyspace. They have workout trackers, places for you to upload progress photos, track your weight, etc. The best thing is that it's a community that really is there to help you progress to your goals. I use it quite a bit. There are some extremely motivating individuals on there.
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    wweboy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have a "Founders" membership that I got from my mother it entitles me to a much lower gym cost to a big gym in Minnesota known as "Life Time Fitness" I'm no gym rat and to be honest I go maybe twice or three times a month.

But I've gained maybe 20 or 30 pounds in the last year from not working (I used to walk around everywhere at my last job so I stayed "fit") well I've been wanting to start making a plan to go more starting twice or three times a week and go there.

But I lack motivation other than I know I need to lose this weight and I know it would help me be healthier (besides cutting out the mt.dew... ******* addictive caffeine) anyway does anyone know or use some software that can track progress, do calorie tracking and give suggestions on meal planning , workout and weight tracking?

I honestly have no clue where to start and typing like "exercise tracking software" into Google brings up really shady sites like "Best.exercise.software.infoblog.com" stuff I'd never visit.

First off I think the motivation of seeing my stats pile up on a graph and be able to see some kind of progress other than personally would be a big benefit and motivator for me.

Also meal planning I SUCK at meal planning growing up my mother always worked and we were poor so we ate boxed dinners alot so thats what I buy I usually eat a lot of processed meals other than I make Tacos and a few other items that aren't boxed so finding something that breaks down a good / healthy meal that I can goto the store and buy the ingridents and make said meals I think would also go along way.

I know I'm asking for a lot here and honestly I don't expect a straight anwser as I know this is a tech forum not a gym rat forum.

Sorry for the length just typing this out and then ralizing what I"m really looking for.

Thanks again :)

It's all a matter of opinion. For my part I keep it simple. No fancy supplements or special diets. No supplements at all. No logs or anything timeconsuming or obsessive like that.

Eat better. Get off your ass and do something. Walking, cycling, these are a helpful start. Gym is ok. Jogging. I used to swim lengths three or four times a week and I found that really helpful and enjoyable. I hadn't done any regular swimming in years but it really was good. You feel you have accomplished something each time you go and you can swim for longer. If there any hills nearby, climb them. Once a week works.

Try the dave draper forum if you want to record things. They have a lot of people on there with a range of appetites for exercise. Many people just trying to keep in shape as well as serious trainers. Quite a friendly place I found when I used it in 2006.

http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/index.php?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

300 pounds is 21 stone Paul. Did I read that right? You lost a lot of weight there with good diet and regular exercise. How long did it take you? Was the exercise regular?
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Go to your gym and peak to your instructors there, if it’s a half decent gym they will be able to suggest a program for you. Depends what your goals are whether it’s to lose weight, build muscle, run a marathon or just be fit. Each takes a different approach.

The main trick to it all is really wanting to do it for yourself not because you 'think' you have to. The hardest part is getting to the gym!!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    arwes wrote: »
    This is a great free program for diet tracking:

CRON-O-Meter

I just checked this out today... Looks pretty cool so far! Thanks for the post!
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I just bought a wii to start using wii fit and ea active. So far, ea active has seemed to be the best program for real weight loss. Wii fit is all about having good posture and doing things to raise your metabolism. They do talk about calories, but it seems to take forever to actually lose any calories in an exercise. I haven't done a single exercise in wii fit that has lost me more than 15 calories.

I do like that each game encourages regular exercise by daily checkups, long-term challenges, and goal-setting. I also like that I can add outside activities, such as yard work and swimming, to the journal in the games and keep track of the approximate calories lost.

Overall, these games aren't things I would highly suggest to lose weight. I spent a lot of money on them and, though it was still less than a year's membership at the gym, I feel like there may be better ways to spend your money on losing weight. The downside is those other ways just may not be as much fun. icon_wink.gif