Options

Will this be good enough to not be class as an paper ccnp

thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
Hi guys well basically I nearly completed my ccna studies at Open University. I should be sitting my ccna exam within the month or so as I now got a voucher to have 62.5% off the exam.

Away I will now look towards ccnp however after some consideration I just want won't be able to afford a decent ccnp lab kit. So I will be doing to following to get to ccnp level just wanted to make sure it's enough not to be class as a paper ccnp

. I will also be studying this at Open University where I get the official course material and access to netlabs to use live kit
. I will be using the Test out Material both for the Material and Simulator Labs.
. I will also be using cbt nuggets I think Jeremy is brilliant.

By doing it at Open University I will also get my diploma in advance networking. Do you think is good enough or should I really get a kit. I know people are talking about these emulator but I have no idea how to use it.

Comments

• Options
    CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    I would not worry about being labeled as a paper. Some will think your a paper if you have no real world experience, even if you know the material better then they do. Granted you may not be able to get a CCNP level job without the experience, but if you can master the subject matter and exams, then you are a CCNP.

However, I would worry about finishing your CCNA before you get started on the CCNP.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How much real world data networking or voice networking do you have?

How long have you worked in Information Technology? What positions have you held.

I don't have a problem with people starting to work on their CCNP after earning their CCNA -- unless they are going to a 12 Day CCNP "guaranteed pass" boot camp.

Study for the CCNP level should take some time and gives you plenty of time to try and find a job with your CCNA and get some experience (if you don't have any). The study for the CCNP exams should keep your knowledge sharp for all those job interviews for positions that require/desire the CCNA -- and your continued studies could help differentiate you from other CCNAs.

We might interview a CCNP with no experience who just graduated from a 4 year University (with a relevant degree) -- but even then we prefer candidates who have recognized the importance of experience and have had internships, real world summer jobs, or part-time school jobs.

The most important thing you should get from your CCNP studies is the knowledge and skills. And if being a "paper CCNP" hinders your job search, you don't have to list it on your resume.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!