Microsoft 80-640 Help!

desiredforsomedesiredforsome Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I have been reading the 70-640 Microsoft Press book, and found out they changed the 70-640 to the 80-640, How is the test? I have taken simulations before as with my Cisco test. I want to know what the main focus is during that test. Im nervous on the powershell just because i really don't understand code all that well. And do you get your results on passing or not instantly like the other tests? I plan on taking my test in December or January, Recommended study guides? I have the whole set of books from microsoft that comes with the measure up practice tests.
Thanks Corey

"Your either a 1 or a 0, dead or alive"
--AntiTrust

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hello, I have been reading the 70-640 Microsoft Press book, and found out they changed the 70-640 to the 80-640, How is the test? I have taken simulations before as with my Cisco test. I want to know what the main focus is during that test. Im nervous on the powershell just because i really don't understand code all that well. And do you get your results on passing or not instantly like the other tests? I plan on taking my test in December or January, Recommended study guides? I have the whole set of books from microsoft that comes with the measure up practice tests.

I don't see this on their web site:

Windows Server Certification
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It has been a few months that the 70-640 is no longer available in English.

Keep in mind that the objectives have not changed. Any study material you would use for the 70-640 will work just as well for 83-640. What you will really need to do is be sure you know how to complete tasks; do lots of lab work. It will not be enough to just know which tools are used to do what. You will actually have to know HOW to do things.
    It has been a few months that the 70-640 is no longer available in English.

Keep in mind that the objectives have not changed. Any study material you would use for the 70-640 will work just as well for 83-640. What you will really need to do is be sure you know how to complete tasks; do lots of lab work. It will not be enough to just know which tools are used to do what. You will actually have to know HOW to do things.

I wish they would update their web site then icon_rolleyes.gif

Robert, I have been reading through my MCITP study books in my 'free' time. Do you think it is enough to use just one VM / installation of 2008 for lab?
  • desiredforsomedesiredforsome Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am currently running 3 virutal machines, 1 core, 2 Gui, and 1 standalone server(GUI) for my labs. And i am a fulltime internal IT
    Thanks Corey

--AntiTrust
    I am currently running 3 virutal machines, 1 core, 2 Gui, and 1 standalone server(GUI) for my labs. And i am a fulltime internal IT

How much power do you need to do multiple VMs, and what are you using? I am looking at buying a new PC soon to study for the MCITP next year hopefully.
  • it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    I have VMWare server running on a Dell Optiplex 755 with 4GB of ram. Its been sufficent for most of the labs in the 70-640 book.

The labs for Certificate Services and Rights Management want you running 3 servers. 2 with enterprise edition and one with SQL 2005. My machine has been struggling with that many servers running at once.

You need planty of ram for performance and diskspace to accomodate the number of servers.
  • desiredforsomedesiredforsome Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am using VirtualBox currently and on the pc its my workstations which is Vista64,6gb DDR800, Q6600, and SATAII 500gb HD, and Dual Monitor Setup. You can bridge the cards or use multiple NICS. I use Bridge and Other
    Thanks Corey

--AntiTrust
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wish they would update their web site then icon_rolleyes.gif

Robert, I have been reading through my MCITP study books in my 'free' time. Do you think it is enough to use just one VM / installation of 2008 for lab?

When I took the 2008 exams there was no study material available. So I don't have any of the MS SP kits but if they are like the other SPKs I would suggest being able to perform whatever labs they have in their books. I used three 2008 servers while studying as well as a 4th one on my work laptop in case I needed to review something or had some time to study.

Unless you are a strong AD admin I would suggest a lab with three or more servers and a Vista Enterprise client.

Back in the day I was a Jr. instructor for MCSE level courses and actually ran review classes on Saturdays for the 270, 290, and 291. My skills were very sharp back then. Not so much today....