Options

Network/Server question

Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
Hello guys,

I have always wanted to set up a little server at my house to get more networking experience and play with it. Now my real question is I've wanted to set up a rig where if i go to fix a clients computer somewhere I can connect to my computer remotely to do it. whether it be to get files or go through my desktop. Would a server enable me to do this? Also How does the Cisco VPN work? I rememeber the principle at my old high school used it to connect to the schools network while he was on meetings. How does this all work if anyone can simplify it for me.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best program that does everything you are looking for is Remote Administrator. You can connect remotely, transfer files back and forth and more.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Might also want to look at something like GoToMyPC or LogMeIn.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would just use RDP, it's free and easy to use.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rsutton wrote: »
    Seconded. The only additional comment would be that I would use DynDNS.org. I use RDP and DynDNS on my network. But keep in mind that your home network's transfer rate will be the limiting factor.

Have any of you guys tried TeamViewer. I love it. Very good for remote support and it does not need to be installed. It can juste be downloaded and run as an EXE. The only problem is it cannot be run on a server OS w/o paying for the pro version. But to help people out, it is great.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    rsutton wrote: »

ME too, set up port forwarding on your home router and get a dyndns account for your personal domain name.

Make sure you have some security configured.
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Depends. If you want something simple and easy....(as dynamik said) gotomypc or logmein.

If you want to learn something in the process....you can either just use RDP and configure your router/firewall to forward port 3389 to your server. Or better yet (for MS learning purposes anyways) setup RRAS for a VPN connection and forward the appropriate ports (PPTP or L2TP) on your router/firewall. Then VPN and/or RDP in remotely.

Personally I use to VPN into my network, then RDP....until I realized I really didn't need anything on my network that I couldn't get from the internet. icon_lol.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd still use a VPN or tunnel RDP through SSH for security reasons. Although, the RDP client in Vista and later is (er, can be) more secure.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seconded. The only additional comment would be that I would use DynDNS.org. I use RDP and DynDNS on my network. But keep in mind that your home network's transfer rate will be the limiting factor.

Have any of you guys tried TeamViewer. I love it. Very good for remote support and it does not need to be installed. It can juste be downloaded and run as an EXE. The only problem is it cannot be run on a server OS w/o paying for the pro version. But to help people out, it is great.

Teamviewer is such a huge help! It has saved me so much time in my side work.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
    Hey guys, I tried teamviewer and it's reallly nice. I currently don't have a server but would like to get one in the future and really don't know what you guys are talking about when you say port forwarding.... i know its on my router and all that, but I really dont know how to set up firewalls and configure does things. Thanks again guys
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Darian929 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I tried teamviewer and it's reallly nice. I currently don't have a server but would like to get one in the future and really don't know what you guys are talking about when you say port forwarding.... i know its on my router and all that, but I really dont know how to set up firewalls and configure does things. Thanks again guys

Well figuring out what port forwarding is, how it works, and how to use it properly will be important for hlping you pass the Network+. Once you start working on your studies be sure to pay attention when they discuss it.