Options

Question about speaker ports/connections

KhattabKhattab Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I recently purchased a used LCD screen that doesnt come with built-in speakers.

Anyways, i'm trying to figure out how on earth i can get speakers connected to it - and i'm also trying to make sense of all of the other connections that are on the back panel.

http://thedowra.com/temp/PA100665.JPG

This image will show you the speaker inputs which are on the far right hand side - anyone know what i need to do to get speakers connected to them? What connectors do i need? (i'm a real nubie when it comes to speakers and tv connections etc so please keep it simple if possible).

Also, the next screenshot below shows all the connections on the back panel. I know what the ones of the far left are (monitor connections) but can someone explain what the rest of the connections are for??

http://thedowra.com/temp/PA100668.JPG

Thanks in advance for your help!

- K

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What are you connecting this to?

What other equipment do you have? Receiver? Speakers?

It does a pretty good job of explaining what each input is right underneath it. What do you specifically have questions about? I've never used those coax inputs myself. The only time I've actually seen them used anywhere was for a security camera. Those aren't commonly-used A/V connections.
  • Options
    I dont have a receiver. I have a set of speakers that use one of those mini connectors - the standard ones that fit into a PC or walkman... Is there any way to make that fit (using some sort of converter of course) into the speaker connectors on the back of my LCD?

If not - what exactly do i need to buy in order to connect speakers to the LCD?
  • Options
    What's the source of your audio though? You may not need to run it through the monitor at all.

Something like this might work if you have to go through the monitor: Amazon.com: HOSA CFR-210 Stereo Female Mini to 2 RCA Male Plugs - 10 Feet: Electronics
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^^ ++

If the monitor does not have built-in speakers, why do you want to connect your sound system to it? (Your PC sound card or your speakers)
  • Options
    I will be connecting a Nintendo Wii to the LCD - but will be really sucky if i dont have sound.

dymnamik - if i purchase the 2x RCA male - stereo female port, i'm guessing that i can use that to connect the speakers to the LCD and that i use the RCA cable that comes with the Wii to connect it to the LCD?

As far as i can figure, i would use the RCA male - stereo female cable (that dynamik suggested) to connect to my speakers and then into the AUDIO OUT ports on the LCD, and then connect the Wii to the LCD using the AUDIO IN and VIDEO IN ports. Is that correct?

Sorry to sound like SUCH A NEWBIE, but i am!
  • Options
    Most people will connect the Wii to a receiver or a boombox.

I guess you can use:
    Amazon.com: 3.5mm Stereo Coupler Jack to Jack (Female-Female): Electronics

and

Amazon.com: 3.5MM Stereo Male to Two RCA Female 6 inch: Electronics

to try to connect everything together, but I really have no idea if that will work.

I don't see any point in running that through your LCD though. Just connect the Wii to whatever is putting out sound.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »

I don't see any point in running that through your LCD though. Just connect the Wii to whatever is putting out sound.

+1

I'm not clear why you'd want to run it through the LCD. To each his own, but you'll have better sound through a receiver or even a 'boombox' (are you old enough to know about boomboxes dynamik?? ;) Or am I that old that I don't know they still call them boomboxes icon_redface.gif)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    (are you old enough to know about boomboxes dynamik?? ;) Or am I that old that I don't know they still call them boomboxes icon_redface.gif)

I was just watching the "History Channel" and was trying to incorporate some of the new terminology I learned ;)
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    I was just watching the "History Channel" and was trying to incorporate some of the new terminology I learned ;)

NICE!!

They were likely still 'out' when you were born...perhaps even your grandparents had one :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?