Options

Passed 70-642

Passed today with 850.
Had 40 questions and 1.5hrs to do them in.
Strangely enough, i had to do a survery before I could start the exam asking me how proficient i was in each of the topic areas of the 70-642 exam. I thought that was the purpose of me taking the exam to find out my level of knowledge in the topic areas.

In any case, the questions were very short, for the most part. They were also very vague and poorly written in some areas and you could always go one of two ways when trying to work out the answer. On my 3rd and 4th pass thru of the questions I started to read the questions properly and realised that some of them werent as hard as first thought.

I thought it stuck very close to the percentages that Microsoft has in the exam objectives. Got quite a few on Network Monitor and quite a lot of DNS command line questions. Even asked me about IPv6 subnets. I didnt even bother to read up on that. Didnt get asked any ipv4 subnetting questions.

Used CBT Nuggets and MSPress mainly. Had TrainSignal but didnt really watch them. Ended up being a waste of money considering i didnt watch them.
Used Measureup and Transcender as well. I have to say I think the Measureup exams were actually harder than the Transcender ones. The Transcender exams were actually very close to what i experienced on the real exam in terms of question length and style.

Comments

• Options
    sund33psund33p Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am taking this test on the 17th. I have a question. Ive been studying the material, and I need to be stronger on routing and NAP, was wondering how many NAP and Routing questions were there?

Thanks

Sundeep In Thought
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Congrats! I am currently studying for this one, and hope to sit the exam in 4-8 weeks lol.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    sund33p wrote: »
    I am taking this test on the 17th. I have a question. Ive been studying the material, and I need to be stronger on routing and NAP, was wondering how many NAP and Routing questions were there?

Thanks

Sundeep In Thought

From memory i think i got about 5 or 6 that were related to NPS and NAP and maybe 2 or 3 on routing. I think its safe to say that if you understand what the requirements are for the different nap types you shouldnt have any issues with these questions. Also, make sure you understand the NAP terminology. I didnt find the NAP questions particularly difficult.

I would just recommend to brush up on your commands for DNS, routing and backup. I think i got a well rounded exam that didnt focus to heavily on DNS except for the first 10 questions
  • Options
    texasittexasit Member Posts: 147
    alokin123 wrote: »
    Passed today with 850.
    Had 40 questions and 1.5hrs to do them in.
    Strangely enough, i had to do a survery before I could start the exam asking me how proficient i was in each of the topic areas of the 70-642 exam. I thought that was the purpose of me taking the exam to find out my level of knowledge in the topic areas.

In any case, the questions were very short, for the most part. They were also very vague and poorly written in some areas and you could always go one of two ways when trying to work out the answer. On my 3rd and 4th pass thru of the questions I started to read the questions properly and realised that some of them werent as hard as first thought.

I thought it stuck very close to the percentages that Microsoft has in the exam objectives. Got quite a few on Network Monitor and quite a lot of DNS command line questions. Even asked me about IPv6 subnets. I didnt even bother to read up on that. Didnt get asked any ipv4 subnetting questions.

Used CBT Nuggets and MSPress mainly. Had TrainSignal but didnt really watch them. Ended up being a waste of money considering i didnt watch them.
    Used Measureup and Transcender as well. I have to say I think the Measureup exams were actually harder than the Transcender ones. The Transcender exams were actually very close to what i experienced on the real exam in terms of question length and style.

Congrads man! I took that exam a month ago and I used the measureup ,mspress book and the testout videos to prepare.I got tested on IP4 subnetting on my exam but not IP6.So it goes to show that the test will be different for everyone.Well congrads again man
  • Options
    dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    Good job, and good score!
    MCTS
    MCITP: SA & EA
    MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
    MCSA: 2000, 2003
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    great job!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass! icon_cheers.gif
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later