Options

IPv6 Address Layers

surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
Hi,

Can somebody confirm if my understanding of IPv6 Address Layers are correct:

Global Scope --> Equivilant to the current IPv4 public addresses used for internet routing

Unique (site) Local --> Equivilant to the current IPv4 private addresses used for internal routing

Link Local --> Used to communicate between devices on the same physical segment (switch). They can be used for internal routing as well.

A router interface could have both a uniqie site and link local address assigned to it, to allow it to communicate on its own segment, as well as when connecting with other network segments

Thanks
Nick

Comments

• Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I found a good blog that elaborates on IPV6 link local addresses.

IPv6 Link-Local Address Just another CCIE

I know that link local addresses all start with FE80::/10, they are specific to that individual device. Check out the blog for a little bit more detail. In addition global unicast addresses are the equivalent to "publicly" route-able addresses.

Here is a more detailed read for you :)

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_IPv6SpecialAddressesReservedPrivateLinkLocalSiteLo-3.htm

Stick to the easier stuff like ACL's and VLSM and get a firm grasp on them. I can't tell you what to do but I highly recommend that you get a grasp on these areas. If you are studying for the ICND2, you should concentrate on one area, get it down, then move on to the next. It doesn't help if you try to keep skipping around between all kind of different areas. The understanding will come in time and you will get to everything trust me. I think you will benefit overall if you do it this way. If not, that's cool. Just a recommendation. It is how I did it. I studied for 8-9 months preparing for the 640-802.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, im going to check it out now.

I have taken a slightly more insane approach.
    I went on the ICND2 week long course a few months, and havent had time to study since (moving house took priority).

Anyway there was a bit of pressure from work based objectives to get this done 'yesterday' so I booked the exam 10 days ago, and im taking it tomorrow.

I also did a 1/2 marathon yesterday which lost me a good few hours study icon_sad.gif

Not the way I would have liked to have prepared for the ICND2 but at leasy if I fail, It will highlight any trouble areas on the printout afterwards.

Which is why there have been a few frantic posts from myself over the past couple of days icon_smile.gif

Nothing like a bit of pressure to get the grey matter ticking
  • Options
    Nice one Billscott, just read both articles, and they do make sense.

I feel they are close explanations (in my mind) to the ones I provided above, so looks like a good start.

I will continue to read more on the IPv6 topic now.
  • Options
    Have you spent any time labbing? I know what you mean sometimes companies can be pushy. Take your time , read the question, read over the answers, then read the question again. If there is something you don't know don't spend a lot of time on it. Mike from the forum gave me the same recommendation.
  • Options
    Firemarshalbill.comFiremarshalbill.com Member Posts: 128
    I would recommend not even trying to relate, IPV6 and V4 they are sooooo different. You are pretty much correct but the differeneces and IPv6 options are huge. Equipment can even self assign IP Addresses and they can have multiple IPV6 addresses. I saw a Cisco book dedicated to IPv6 not sure if it is any good.
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    All good advice guys.

I think I have spent long enough of the IPV6 stuff now in comparrison to the larger modules.

I have the general overview and concepts of the IPv6 which will do me for now.

My biggest problem is rushing through the questions and misreading them.

Especially on this one 1hr 15mins for 40-50 questions and a 85% pass mark... yikes
  • Options
    Exactly, so since you know that's an issue take the steps that I said and you should do fine. If you would get a simulation then don't spend more than 10 minutes on it. If you can't get it then do the best job that you can, and move on. If you spend too much time, then you'll have to rush through the rest of the questions, and possibly mis-read too many and not do so well. Hit the areas that you think you are weak tonight, and review them. Let us know the outcome after the exam.