Options

Sharing .pst file on same computer?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I have a user who has two separate profiles on the same computer. Both log onto the domain, but only one can access a special folder on the server. Owners do not want them having access under their normal profile, thus having to create the other. Weird I know!

Anyways ...

Said user wants to be able to access her outlook on either profile, and have them be the same (same old emails, same users, etc). Is it possible to share a .pst file that would write to either profile when outlook is open and still show the same info on the other profile next time outlook is opened on there? I know MS says don't do, it cannot be done, but I've read where it can be done on a network drive (though not recommended). Just wondered if the scenario mentioned here is even possible.

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I have a user who has two separate profiles on the same computer. Both log onto the domain, but only one can access a special folder on the server. Owners do not want them having access under their normal profile, thus having to create the other. Weird I know!

Anyways ...

Said user wants to be able to access her outlook on either profile, and have them be the same (same old emails, same users, etc). Is it possible to share a .pst file that would write to either profile when outlook is open and still show the same info on the other profile next time outlook is opened on there? I know MS says don't do, it cannot be done, but I've read where it can be done on a network drive (though not recommended). Just wondered if the scenario mentioned here is even possible.
    I don't see why it can't be done...although I see why it might not be the best situation in most cases. If it's a location that's visible/accessible from both profiles, then give it a go and see what happens - the best way to find out if it's possible is to give it a try with a test .pst.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    The first thing that comes to mind is her leaving outlook open on one computer and going to the other and opening it and causing an issue (or not being able to get into it)
  • Options
    manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    kind of a common occurance from what i've seen in the companies that I've worked for...

Problem: User mainly works out of office b and occasionally works out of office C and or D but wants to be able to access emails from either office.

Solution: Create user a .pst file and put it on users network share drive...since this drive maps itself upon logon user should be able to access it where ever they go.

Now on to your specific issue...if you have drives map themselves upon logon for each user then this will make the solution pretty simply...if you don't...then you will have to work with your network admin and/or sys admin to create a netlogon script.

Once that is done, all you have to do is copy the users .pst file to a network share, have the user open outlook and point it to the .pst file on the network share. You can do this from both profiles...tadah...user now has access to the file from both profiles.
  • Options
    manny355 wrote: »
    kind of a common occurance from what i've seen in the companies that I've worked for...

Problem: User mainly works out of office b and occasionally works out of office C and or D but wants to be able to access emails from either office.

Solution: Create user a .pst file and put it on users network share drive...since this drive maps itself upon logon user should be able to access it where ever they go.

Now on to your specific issue...if you have drives map themselves upon logon for each user then this will make the solution pretty simply...if you don't...then you will have to work with your network admin and/or sys admin to create a netlogon script.

Once that is done, all you have to do is copy the users .pst file to a network share, have the user open outlook and point it to the .pst file on the network share. You can do this from both profiles...tadah...user now has access to the file from both profiles.

In with the obligatory link,

Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

Its unsupported but its definitely a workable situation. Hell I just use my pst file on my own user share at work so that if I am accessing email through terminal services all contacts/sent mail etc etc get stored in the same location. I keep my pst file low size by clearing out email reguarly and moving them into shared email folders, simple.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Pash wrote: »
    Its unsupported but its definitely a workable situation. Hell I just use my pst file on my own user share at work so that if I am accessing email through terminal services all contacts/sent mail etc etc get stored in the same location. I keep my pst file low size by clearing out email reguarly and moving them into shared email folders, simple.

I wouldn't trust the typical end user to keep their PST's cleaned out, and there's no easy way to control the size of the PST via policy aside from size limits on the home directory in general.

This is just overall a bad idea. I've seen many a file server brought to its knees from this.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Pash wrote: »

Going down that road is dangerous. If you let Suzy do it, then Janice down the hall is going to start wanting to too when she realizes Suzys job became that much easier. Then the exception becomes the rule.

If Microsoft goes out of their way to make a KB article about something that is not in direct reference to a bug/error/flaw or flaunting their products then its usually best to listen. They wouldnt make it unless its been shown to be a bad idea.
  • Options
    manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    Yes...you are right this is a sticky wicket...what i've come across is that some users have multiple .pst files...but they name them something like october 2009 so they know whats in them...and then they can open them on an as needed basis.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Going down that road is dangerous. If you let Suzy do it, then Janice down the hall is going to start wanting to too when she realizes Suzys job became that much easier. Then the exception becomes the rule.

If Microsoft goes out of their way to make a KB article about something that is not in direct reference to a bug/error/flaw or flaunting their products then its usually best to listen. They wouldnt make it unless its been shown to be a bad idea.

Well yeh I totally hear what you are saying, its a valid point. I guess general office users wouldn't keep their pst'c clean. I was just saying it can be done as an example....don't mow me down! icon_wink.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Why not get her to store her pst on a USB drive? She can then use it on any machine or profile she likes?

It then becomes her responsibility and doesnt have a negative effect on your file servers.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    I think from what "Bokeh" was asking, he/she wants to open the same PST file from a different XP/vista logon profile on the same PC.

yes this can be done, Create a new Outlook profile on the second logon. Once its created open control panel/mail and change the default PST store from the newly created one to the existing PST file. that way either logon profile will be storing emails in the same PST.

I do this for clients that need multiple Outlook profiles/need to use differnet smtp sending servers when switching between DSL ISP's and mobile broadband ISP'S (diffenet sending smtp server) and it works a treat.

Good luck
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Yeah that would work fine, you would need to move it to a location both profiles can access as you say only one can access the current folder.

Just make sure the user backs it up occasionaly for when it does go wrong. (Note that will be a 'when' not a 'if' as is usually the case with PST files....)
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools