Options

Will the new CCNP affect CCDP?

BosefusBosefus Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Topic says it all.

Will the new CCNP affect the CCDP?

For example, if you already have your CCNP now, and were to take the ARCH after the the old BSCI and BCMSN retired, would you have to take the new BCMSN and BSCI to get the CCDP?

If so, that really bites because I will be in this boat, if I am able to succeed I will just squeek the CCNP in before the old set of exams retire, and I had planned on taking the ccda and arch after getting the ccnp.
Working on CCNP, passed BSCI, Currently working on ONT.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bosefus wrote: »
    It didn't when they did the last major CCNP changes.

The old 642-801 BSCI exam was valid for 3 years from the passing date for use to meet certification requirements. The current 642-901 BSCI exam should be valid for 3 years to meet certification requirements.

If you have access to the Cisco Certification Tracking System you can see all the old exams (if they haven't hit their 3 year exam expiration date since passing) that you can apply to Cisco Certifications.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    mikej412 wrote: »
    It didn't when they did the last major CCNP changes.

The old 642-801 BSCI exam was valid for 3 years from the passing date for use to meet certification requirements. The current 642-901 BSCI exam should be valid for 3 years to meet certification requirements.

If you have access to the Cisco Certification Tracking System you can see all the old exams (if they haven't hit their 3 year exam expiration date since passing) that you can apply to Cisco Certifications.

Does that mean you have to re-take CCNP in three years to hold the cert or if you wanted to use parts of it to apply to other certs you have to take the newer version?
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Bosefus,
    Topic says it all.

No, since they're separate Cisco certifications.
    For example, if you already have your CCNP now,

It depends. Which Cisco certification exams did you pass to achieve CCNP certification? What are the date(s) you passed those Cisco certification exams?
    and were to take the ARCH after the the old BSCI and BCMSN retired,

It depends. Did you take and pass the 642-812 BCMSN certification exam before the exam retired? Did you take and pass the 642-901 BSCI certification exam before the exam retired?
    would you have to take the new BCMSN and BSCI to get the CCDP?

It depends.
    When did you pass the 642-901 BSCI certification exam?
    Did you pass the 642-812 BCMSN certification exam within 3 years to the day of passing the 642-901 BSCI certification exam?
    Did you pass the 640-863 DESGN certification exam within 3 years to the day of passing the 642-901 BSCI certification exam?
    Did you pass the 642-873 ARCH certification exam within 3 years to the day of passing the 642-901 BSCI certification exam?
    If so, that really bites because I will be in this boat, if I am able to succeed I will just squeek the CCNP in before the old set of exams retire, and I had planned on taking the ccda and arch after getting the ccnp.

You need to understand that the CCNP certification and CCDP certification are separate boats. You need to decide which path(s) you're going to take. If you're serious about becoming CCDA certified, maybe do this next? That way, every exam you pass towards CCNP or CCDP certification will automatically renew your CCDA certification along the way. You are being warned that just because the CCDA certification is "just an Associate" level certification that you shouldn't underestimate the difficulty. The CCNP certification is part of the "Routing & Switching" track. The CCDA certified individual is expected to be familiar with all four tracks of: 1) Routing & Switching 2) Wireless LANs 3) Security 4) Voice. I think the only reason why the CCDA isn't elevated to a Professional level certification is because it is lacking the implementation and troubleshooting skills of the Professional level certifications. However, I believe that the knowledge level for the CCDA certified individual is on par with the Professional level certifications of CCNP, CCNP Wireless, CCSP, and CCVP certificates.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It seemed like a valid question since 2/3 of the DP exams will likely be affected by the changes...

Mike adequately answered the question.

Liven, you only need one pro-level exam to renew all your pro-level certs. The exams themselves are only valid for three years, so you need to finish an entire track within three years.
  • Options
    BosefusBosefus Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for your replies.

My goal is to have my CCNP by the cut off for the new exams.

I passed the BSCI this past summer and had planned on taking as I said earlier one exam during each of my breaks.

Now, since the changes, I am going to work on my ONT now while I am in school, hopefully have that done by the time school is out, then start BCMSN.

And attempt the ISCW while im in school during the spring.

However it shakes out, after my CCNP I had planned on getting my CCNA:S, then CCDA, followed by my CCDP.
    Working on CCNP, passed BSCI, Currently working on ONT.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You have 3 years -- from start to finish -- to complete a Certification track. If you take more than 3 years, the first exam you took will have reached it's 3 year "expiration date" and would have to be retaken (before the 2nd exam you took reaches it's 3 year expiration date) to earn the Certification.

If you're doing the CCNP and CCDP -- the CCNA & CCDA will get recertified with each professional level exam -- but if you don't want to have to retake the BSIC & BCMSN exams a 2nd time, you'd have to "overlap" your CCNP & CCDP to fit the BSCI, BCMSN, and ARCH exams into the same 3 year period.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!