Options

Server Support

krismcmillankrismcmillan Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
The company that I work off has got a position on offer in Amsterdam as a Server Support person. I am wondering if to take this job as I currently work as on a helpdesk and I think that this job will give me great job opportunity after a few years.

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Do you enjoy help desk, are you good at it, and will you be satisfied doing it a year from now? And, is help desk your greatest area of experience?

If you answer Yes, then you should probably stay at help desk for a while--at least until you can get some server hardware and network OS experience.

If you would like to chase "digital ghosts" through a network system, spend hours looking at script roll by on a 12" monitor(at least occasionally) in a room that is kept at an average 66-degrees F, be responsible for upgrading, rebooting, downgrading, rebooting again, ad infinitum when the new patches don't work. This stuff takes place once or twice a month at 2 or 3 AM. But, that's just a worst-case scenario. Generally things run pretty smoothly if you're a good server tech and you have a really smart administrator.

I don't get the full impact of this on myself, but I'm friends with the guys that do. I am involved in help desk/hardware/backup processes and I get to read all of the e-mail, sys admin notices, etc--good or bad and have to explain to callers why the network is down.

On the other hand, you may already know these things! And you may understand that all of this server-room activity gives you a wide-open opportunity to learn and become a real server guru down the road.

So, if you have some server hardware and OS knowledge, and you think that you would be more satisfied doing these things, then go for the Server Support position.

Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    To me this is a no brainer. It's called paying your dues... take the job and get the valuable experience. Move on after a couple years if you don't enjoy it.

My opinion anyway....
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914