Options

CCNA Exam Question

troyt93955troyt93955 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am studying for my CCNA with an online school, I am going over some wireless stuff. I am just trying to get my regular cert. Do I need to undetstan in full detail Wireless stuff if i am not going for wirless cert?

Or do I have to pick something like:
CCNA\Wirelss or CCNA\Security

Comments

• Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    Both those certs build off the CCNA. I believe their prereq is the CCNA as in you must have the CCNA to receive the CCNA:Wireless or CCNA:Security. No one will tell you what is on the test.

640-802 CCNA - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

What is on there is what you need to know. That's all anyone can tell you.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    troyt93955troyt93955 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank You.

I wasnt asking for questions on the test, I did not mean for it to sound like that. I totlally cant stand people who just do it for the cert, and try and actually learn anything. I believe it gives IT people a bad rap and have followed after their footsteps at my current job, and it has been a chore cleaning up after them.
  • Options
    davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    troyt93955 wrote: »
    Thank You.

I wasnt asking for questions on the test, I did not mean for it to sound like that. I totlally cant stand people who just do it for the cert, and try and actually learn anything. I believe it gives IT people a bad rap and have followed after their footsteps at my current job, and it has been a chore cleaning up after them.

Yup you are definitely right! It does give certified people bad rep...

As for your CCNA you should find it daunting if you don't play with Cisco stuff at least twice a week. Try get your hands on a good simulator. I was lucky coz my company made me get mine and we deal with cisco at our core and even a little at the edge.

Know subbnetting, that is the best advice I can give you. you should be fine!

Does yr online school provide you with hard copy material that they send to you or is it strictly online? If not, try pick up a copy of the official exam books by Odom, ICND 1 and ICND 2, even if you are planning to sit the combined exam, these books will help you in whatever path you choose.!

Good Luck!!!

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    What all does your online course contain? As far as what do they say you are going to do to prepare you for the CCNA? Do they have virtual labs? If so, do you know who they are with? I know that DeVry University uses ElementK labs and they are ok, but I would have never passed the CCNA if I relied only on them. I had to do my own labs and built my own lab at home for some hands on (off the simulator) practice.

I think what he is asking as well guys is the fact that the CCNA preparation books and everything do briefly go over Wireless. You have to know anything that they tell you basically. So, anything wireless that you are learning, learn it. It could help you on exam day, and if you ever run into any questions on a job interview or on the field.

The CCNA - Wireless and CCNA - Security are additional certifications. You MUST have a valid CCNA before you can take the CCNA:Security or CCNA:Wireless exams.
  • Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    as long as you know the basics of wireless you will be fine. I wouldnt focus too much on them. Your time would be better spent learning STP, RSTP,PVSTP, OSPF,EIGRP and of course, subnetting.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I agree. You can learn the basics. I wouldn't study it "in depth" for the CCNA itself.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You MUST have a valid CCNA before you can take the CCNA:Security or CCNA:Wireless exams.
    You must pass the CCIE Written exam to access the CCIE Lab Scheduling System and schedule a CCIE Lab exam. Other than that -- people are free to take any Cisco exam they want in any order they want. Someone can sign up and take the CCNA:Wireless Exam (and pass it) if they want to -- they just don't earn the CCNA:Wireless Certification until they also meet the prerequisite for the Certification (which is the valid CCNA).

It's kind of silly and a backwards way of doing it, but it could be done.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!