Options

CBT Vs.

plevine1plevine1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im having a debate with the powers that be on certifications. They would rather save some money and use CBT video's for various Cisco certification classes. I feel that instructor lead (even if in a virtual class) is a better way to go.

How far have you gotten up the certification ladder using only CBT's?

Comments

• Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Self-study on CBT's, books, and home labbing have got me to this point... Different strokes for different folks though. Everyone learns differently.
  • Options
    KPWrightKPWright Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll give you the perspective of a noobie who has only had video, etc.

It's really frustrating to not be able to throw a question at the lecturer, especially when they explain things using terms that are either conflicting or also new to you, but after going through it for a while I think I like the combination of video lecture, labs (very important), written reference material and very valuable web based material like this forum, Cisco Tech Support / Documentation, Wikipedia, etc. I like it specifically because you are not constrained as much by the class schedule and can investigate topics at length. I know I'm scheduled to sit one of the "Boot Camp" sessions in November and while I'm looking forward to the review, I can't see how you could possibly retain this much information if presented only during a one week crash.

I will say that the videos alone aren't going to do it. If I had to limit the number of references I had available, I might toss the videos first. The labs (whether it's a somewhat decent simulation or some real equipment) are probably the most important thing along with a good text to lead you through the subject matter.

I've seen some of about three sets of video content for CCNA at this point and can tell you there is a lot of difference in the quality of the content. There are quite a few threads on this forum that deal with preferences between the offerings. If you are only going to have video / text / lab training, make sure you get good ones and make sure it's a coordinated kit.

My opinion, for what it's worth.
  • Options
    jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    plevine1 wrote: »
    Im having a debate with the powers that be on certifications. They would rather save some money and use CBT video's for various Cisco certification classes. I feel that instructor lead (even if in a virtual class) is a better way to go.

How far have you gotten up the certification ladder using only CBT's?

CBT isn't enough, I do like them, though I prefer trainsignals videos. You still need to hit the books and labs. I also did a virtual class via skilsoft, I enjoyed it but I would take CBT or trainsignal video's any day. In my humble opinion, the best bang for the buck would be video's, I learned a lot more from them than I did the classes, not sure what the classes cost since the company paid for them, but it probably wasn't cheap.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    KPWright wrote: »
    I can't see how you could possibly retain this much information if presented only during a one week crash.

I agree; with so much info thrown at you in a short time, it's hard to make it stick especially on a new subject.

I've a had some success with Testout on the MS certs; however they do tend to miss sections. But for me it's a great start as I can't digest study books too well. Lab or job experience is always essential.

I'm just about to start the CCNA track and will be kicking off with the TestOut package. Although stop me if this one's a dud?icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    Agreed.. Go with CBT Nuggets and some books. The videos you can watch again. Any way you do it it's a lot of information on a lot of subjects. You need something you can go over repeatedly in my opinion. So, videos and books are your friend :)