What should i do

auosauos Member Posts: 186
Hi,
I read the (CCIE Professional Development Routing TCP/IP, Volume I, Second Edition) but I face a problem is that the information in this book is very advances and go so far for BSCI exam. Should I continue with this book or only focus on

-Authorized Self-Study Guide BSCI.
-CCNP BSCI Official Exam Certification Guide.
-Chris Bryant, The Ultimate BSCI Study Guide.
-CBTNugget

BR,
Auos.

Comments

• trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    if you are after CCNP then read CCNP related material. leave CCIE books for after you get your CCNP.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    trackit wrote: »
    if you are after CCNP then read CCNP related material. leave CCIE books for after you get your CCNP.

To fully understand routing for the BSCI exam, I would recommend that you read the Routing TCP/IP volume 1. It is very in depth, but in my opinion for the BSCI you need to know the debugs, and intimate details of the routing protocols. It is not like an NA level exam where you need to know facts and figures. You need to be able to look at a config or debug and know exactly what is going on.

The more firm your foundation is; the easier it will support your depth of knowledge...icon_study.gif

also pick up the lab guide and do all of the simulations, repeatedly.

Just my 2 cents
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    auos wrote: »
    Hi,
    I read the (CCIE Professional Development Routing TCP/IP, Volume I, Second Edition) but I face a problem is that the information in this book is very advances and go so far for BSCI exam. Should I continue with this book or only focus on

-Authorized Self-Study Guide BSCI.
    -CCNP BSCI Official Exam Certification Guide.
    -Chris Bryant, The Ultimate BSCI Study Guide.
    -CBTNugget

BR,
    Auos.

Read the book now. There is nothing wrong with trying to grapple with advanced material early on. I recall Dr Pete Welcher CCIE saying in 2001 that regarding BGP you should read as much as you can, even if you dont understand it. It stretches you but that's fine.

It will all add up in time! Meanwhile supplement with the targeted reading you have on that list.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Doyle doesn't replace reading the Cisco Press Books. But it does give you another very clear look at a lot of the specifics you'd probably want to know so that you can pass the BSCI exam easily. The trade off is that it creates "more work" during your study phase.

You can just read specific chapters in Doyle if you feel you need additional work on a topic.

To put "Doyle" in perspective -- I keep Vol 1 2nd edition almost always within arms reach. My 1st edition of Vol 1 is just "out of reach" by about a foot, but if I lean over in my chair I can grab it -- and I'll use it if I want to avoid the IPv6 stuff. :D And I know exactly which bookcase and shelf Volume 2 is on -- and could walk over and grab it in the dark if I had to.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    in that case i guess its kinda sad that cisco publishes official exam prep materials with unsufficient depth to pass actual exam. How am i supposed to know how in-depth should i study, if everybody says that official materials just wount cut it.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    in that case i guess its kinda sad that cisco publishes official exam prep materials with unsufficient depth to pass actual exam. How am i supposed to know how in-depth should i study, if everybody says that official materials just wount cut it.

Im not sure anyone is. The official exam prep materials should get you through. The larger tomes on Routing will offer an opportunity for deeper understanding.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    It's like anything else. If you need more practice grab another book, lab some more, make sure that you have a firm understanding. If you have the Cisco Press, you have the practice exam software, you can test yourself, then go back and review. I'm sure that it is plenty of enough information to pass the exam. My friend used the material for his CCNP and he is now a CCIE.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Actually, I think Cisco contracts out for the "official courseware" -- and that may be sufficient in itself for a motivated student (without the class), unfortunately it isn't available for sale without the class.

There are the "Cisco Press" titles that are available that we suggest -- but those aren't written or published by Cisco.

If you go back through a lot of the "failed threads" for BSCI and BCMSN you find the subjects lines could have easily said "I read 1/2 the suggested books and failed" or "I thought I could just memorize a few command sequences -- but found out I couldn't."

And right now the exams for the CCSP have changed/are changing so fast, there are no 3rd party "Certification" books available. You can read the exam blueprint and use some of the excellent 3rd party device/software books out there and the Cisco online Documentation. Or you find someone who went through the official course and barrow their copy (usually in exchange for many fine lunches).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • auosauos Member Posts: 186
    Dears,
    May thanks for your great comments.

BR,
    Auos.
    really? i should look more into that "official courseware" then... thanks for the tip :)
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    As Mike said, the problem with Routing TCP/IP is that it will give you a lot more work than what you probably need for the certification, but i dont think that has to be a consider a problem. Specially when most of the "failed BSCI" kind of post are saying that they "saw so many things that were not suficiently covered by the official books". This one seems to be among the most difficult Cisco test and i think you should treat it accordingly.

I am reading routing TCP/IP and it makes the CCNP material a lot easier to understand. At this point I will stick to Bryant's study guide, official lab portfolio and routing TCP/IP. I'll add some documents from cisco.com and hopefully i'll be good to go in about 175hours.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.