Options

PC crisis

2»

Comments

• Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    dynamik wrote: »
    Hah, no. Didn't you go to elementary school?

It's from rounding decimals (i.e. 1.5 rounds up to 2). I just consider you to be mostly there, so you "round up" all the way icon_lol.gif

Too bad it doesn't work like that in reality, eh?

lol love it icon_smile.gif I'll keep that one in mind for future use.

and yeah too bad it dont work irl
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Turgon wrote: »
    hehehehe..well Im glad I made you smile, also glad I managed thus far without having to PM you for some tips! I used to do a lot of this but it was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away..;)

mate i think you;ve made a few of us smile today icon_biggrin.gif

I feel ya pain, while I say I woudlve rebuilt it by now, I know damn well I'd ve gone through the pain your going through at the mo

I wont relay the problem I have with 2 laptops at the mo, one work the other's the mrs. Can you guess which one gives me most agro icon_wink.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Hah, no. Didn't you go to elementary school?

It's from rounding decimals (i.e. 1.5 rounds up to 2). I just consider you to be mostly there, so you "round up" all the way icon_lol.gif

Too bad it doesn't work like that in reality, eh?

Ahhh..I see now. Well thanks for the encouragement! Yeah too bad indeed. Im certainly gonna need to get this PC fixed to even attempt to get that whole number..or should I say double agent number!
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    hehehehe..well Im glad I made you smile, also glad I managed thus far without having to PM you for some tips! I used to do a lot of this but it was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away..;)

mate i think you;ve made a few of us smile today icon_biggrin.gif

I feel ya pain, while I say I woudlve rebuilt it by now, I know damn well I'd ve gone through the pain your going through at the mo

I wont relay the problem I have with 2 laptops at the mo, one work the other's the mrs. Can you guess which one gives me most agro icon_wink.gif

hehehehe..they are all bad when you have a two year old hanging off you ;)

Nice man downstairs is burning XP SP2 onto a CD. Its a big .exe file so I hope the install takes that when I pop the CD in. Interestingly when attempting to download SP1 (which is what the install screen is asking for, I was directed to SP 2). lets hope this works or we will be up and downstairs burning CDs and trying all kinds of ways to end up with something that actually works!

Postscript, Im gonna need all my boot files again to get the Xyplex term server working for my lab. Partition on the PC is now wiped. Good job I backed up all the important stuff this weekend on that external 400GB USB barn I bought. Bad metaphor, all barns are external.
  • Options
    Its as I feared. We downloaded an exe for SP2 onto a CD and thats not what the XP Home Edition install needs at all. I think we need an XP SP1 ISO image.
  • Options
    Obtained a different XP install CD that came with a laptop. Has been used to install on another laptop previously. Giving this a whirl on the desktop now..installing
  • Options
    All working. Thanks to the magic of USB everything after the XP install just works. Great. Time to enjoy Cabernet Savignon now. I have 30 days to argue the toss with MS and get this thing licenced again but it shouldn't be a problem. Not too bad for an old warhorse.