I have a job interview question! plz help!

So I have an interview for a Server Admin position today!

I have worked 20 feet from this position, which was the NOC.

They know my former supervisor, and i've worked for the company for 3 1/2 years

Every time I have an interview I always get stumped on the question:

"What is your biggest weakness"?

I have lots of weaknesses and I dont know what to say without sounding bad.

Any ideas?

Comments

• NuwinNuwin Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Everyone has weakness for sure. Since I know the question is usually coming, I always have a weakness picked out. However, I don't leave the question answered negatively. Depending on what I select, I will discuss how I'm actively working on improving in that area.
    "By the power of Grayskull"
  • Firemarshalbill.comFiremarshalbill.com Member Posts: 128
    I always hated those questions. When I interview people I never ask something like that. What you need to do is turn it on them by discussing a weakness that is really not so weak. Something like " sometimes I get soooooooo focused on a major issue that I don't have time for minor issues" or depending on who your potential boss is, does or does he not want yes men "if I see a problem with I speak up and express my opinion, this has sometimes gotten me into trouble"

Many years ago I worked at a large telecom manufacturing company, they went through this huge HR touchy feelly thing where all the engineers and managers had to rate themselves including weaknesses, guess what, when the economy tanked and they had to lay off people they used peoples own documentation against them lucky for me I did not get hot on that one but alot of friends did- I WILL NEVER TELL A COMPANY ANY WEAKNESSES I AM THE GREATEST LET THEM FIGURE IT OUT IF I HAVE A WEAKNESS
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    I always hated those questions. When I interview people I never ask something like that. What you need to do is turn it on them by discussing a weakness that is really not so weak. Something like " sometimes I get soooooooo focused on a major issue that I don't have time for minor issues" or depending on who your potential boss is, does or does he not want yes men "if I see a problem with I speak up and express my opinion, this has sometimes gotten me into trouble"

I Loove those! Those are good! in fact, im gonna use them! haha :) thanks man!
  • bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    The best one you can give them is you have OCD with perfection. By this I mean you always strive to obtain perfection within yourself and have trouble when other people around you cannot keep up to your standards. Tell them you try to work at this everyday and try not to let other people get under your skin by not being feeling the same way as you.

The way HR views it is well the guys work ethic is great and he demands it in other workers. This could be good in that he will bring others up to his standards and bad in that he may rock the boat a little.

Later in the interview interject people skills as a highlight in order to minimize the amount of rocking the boat your "weakness will bring":D
    Or how about this one,

"My biggest weakness is that I have a major problem with incompetent managers that got their job because of who they know and who are so insecure in their position that they have to micro-manage me to death. When they don't allow me to make any decisions based on my experience I often tell them to pound sand" icon_lol.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
    and then finish up with "I am a team player" icon_cheers.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    so anyone have any advice I should touch on in the world of server administration? I dont have any experience in Server administration.. I do in Network administration..