Options

Windows XP Black Screen with active mouse cursor

Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
Hello

I have an XP machine that goes into black sreen after loading Windows XP. The mouse cursor is still active, but I can not even start task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+delete, and the issue is still there even if I start XP in safe mode. The safe mode text is there in the corners, but the screen is totally black, and I can not do any form for troubleshooting. It stays the same if I try safe mode with command prompt as well.

I've tried Last known good configuration, but to no avail.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I've tried to google for a solution, without finding any.
Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Dracula28 wrote: »
    Hello

I have an XP machine that goes into black sreen after loading Windows XP. The mouse cursor is still active, but I can not even start task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+delete, and the issue is still there even if I start XP in safe mode. The safe mode text is there in the corners, but the screen is totally black, and I can not do any form for troubleshooting. It stays the same if I try safe mode with command prompt as well.

I've tried Last known good configuration, but to no avail.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I've tried to google for a solution, without finding any.

Welcome to hell. You have the same problem I woke up to on my PC this morning. I have been screwing around all day to try and resolve this one. It may have been brought on by windows updates in my case.

Update. Still trying to resolve this. Now downloading XP recovery disks. Postscript, the second PC I wanted to use is a dead stick since I put the screen res up. A shame as with Win 2000 Pro I got the wireless networking sorted. That PC just wont even go to BIOS now. Wasted time doing the Win 2000 bootdisks thing..they didnt work. May just be a crap PC that one. Back to the bad XP home PC fun now..oh yeah I need 6 floppies and its 9:15 pm
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I found this one on google, worth a try:

try booting in "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and then switching to the CD ROM Drive
    ( D: ) and lauching the Win XP setup. Do an xp upgrade. See if this helps.
  • Options
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I found this one on google, worth a try:

try booting in "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and then switching to the CD ROM Drive
    ( D: ) and lauching the Win XP setup. Do an xp upgrade. See if this helps.

No good for me Im afraid. All options just stay at that black screen. Hopefully these 6 XP recovery disks get things repaired!
  • Options
    dsotmdsotm Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    God bless linux. :)
  • Options
    dsotm wrote: »
    God bless linux. :)

Well yeah but anything can give you problems. With my knowledge of Linux any issues there would be too awful to comtemplate.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Sounds like it is time to try a repair install.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i know someone else that had a similar prob a while back and i think it had something to do the explorer.exe
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    Sounds like it is time to try a repair install.

Yes tried that. I can get to a command prompt. Having tried a few things over the phone with MS it looks like a total reinstal is the only option.
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Why not login to the Recovery Console and try a "sfc /scannow" command or can you (mini-XP anyone?)? Otherwise, chkdsk. I remember seeing this problem with a laptop at work. I think that, even after the chkdsk, the computer still would not boot into Windows. I recall even trying Safe Mode and still having the mouse without a desktop problem.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    matradley wrote: »
    Why not login to the Recovery Console and try a "sfc /scannow" command or can you (mini-XP anyone?)? Otherwise, chkdsk. I remember seeing this problem with a laptop at work. I think that, even after the chkdsk, the computer still would not boot into Windows. I recall even trying Safe Mode and still having the mouse without a desktop problem.

No recovery console with XP home edition as such. I was able to get to a command prompt and run chkdsk. Even with MS help on the phone the PC would not boot into windows. Did a reinstall now.
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Turgon wrote: »
    No recovery console with XP home edition as such. I was able to get to a command prompt and run chkdsk. Even with MS help on the phone the PC would not boot into windows. Did a reinstall now.
    I figured as much. The person I was working with never did finish fixing the laptop. I did recommend installing in place. XD
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."