Options

Getting back into IT...Advice needed

natewcnatewc Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Here's a quick synopsis. I have a BS in Finance, but out of college I went straight into IT working my way up through help desk, network admin and finally into a network engineer position.

When I quit the industry I was certified as a CNE, MCSE, and CCIE Routing and Switching but this was almost seven years ago. At that time I bought a business(not IT related) and had been running that until about 6 months ago when I had to shut it down because of the bad economy.

Now I'm in my mid 30's and wondering if I should get back into IT or just choose a different profession. I'm sure everything has changed a lot since I was active in the industry. I know that I still have the most important skill which was my analytical and research skills that allowed me to troubleshoot and solve problems.

What do you guys think? What would be the best way to get back in the industry? I hate to start all over again when I left I was making good money and have been since, until the economy tanked.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd look for something working with networks and start working to get your CCIE renewed. That would probably be your best/fastest route back to making good money.

Since you ran your own business you could look into more of the business side of IT, but I don't have much experience with that myself, so not much useful advice.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd look for something working with networks and start working to get your CCIE renewed. That would probably be your best/fastest route back to making good money.

Since you ran your own business you could look into more of the business side of IT, but I don't have much experience with that myself, so not much useful advice.

+10 Sounds like sound advice!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    natewc wrote: »
    Here's a quick synopsis. I have a BS in Finance, but out of college I went straight into IT working my way up through help desk, network admin and finally into a network engineer position.

When I quit the industry I was certified as a CNE, MCSE, and CCIE Routing and Switching but this was almost seven years ago. At that time I bought a business(not IT related) and had been running that until about 6 months ago when I had to shut it down because of the bad economy.

Now I'm in my mid 30's and wondering if I should get back into IT or just choose a different profession. I'm sure everything has changed a lot since I was active in the industry. I know that I still have the most important skill which was my analytical and research skills that allowed me to troubleshoot and solve problems.

What do you guys think? What would be the best way to get back in the industry? I hate to start all over again when I left I was making good money and have been since, until the economy tanked.

Any advice is appreciated.

You passed the lab exam so you had the goods back then and will have them again. Try and get an introduction with some Cisco partners in your area and see if you can get 'requipped' there. Your right about the economy tanking, we are in for some tough times ahead. If it was a long time since you passed the CCIE written exam you may have to take the lab all over again to active your number. Check with Cisco about that.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Now I'm in my mid 30's and wondering if I should get back into IT or just choose a different profession.
    Um, did you like working in IT and networking? Is there a different profession you think you'd like better?

Go plug your information into the Cisco CCIE Verification tool. While your CCIE R&S is no longer active -- the number should still be yours. And if you pass the CCIE Written & Lab again, you will once again be an active CCIE -- probably with an impressive "low number."

It's definitely worth checking with the Cisco Business Partners in your area. Your former CCIE (and job experience) should show you had the knowledge & skills -- and you should be "fully operational" (and pulling in the billable hours) in short order.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Um, did you like working in IT and networking? Is there a different profession you think you'd like better?

I guess that's the $64 question, and to be honest I have the aptitude for it, but there were lot's of days that I really didn't want to go to work. I guess really it's just a way to get back to making $. Then again though, this would be the same for any other career I could think of right now. So if I have to make a living doing something it might as well be this. :)

I guess I'm just wondering what the climate is for networkig professionals right now and what would be the best way to get back into the feild.
  • Options
    Oh by the way I couldn't get on to look at my status, even though I know it's expired. However I was #8113 which at the time wasn't considered low, but I don't know what they're up to now.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have the aptitude for it, but there were lot's of days that I really didn't want to go to work.
    Did you work for a big company, small company -- or a VAR or Cisco Business Partner (if they had any back in those days)?

And even a good job and place to work can change with new management -- so if your skills are "top notch" you move along to the next "great place to work" or contract for the big bucks & let the $$$ ease some of the work agony. :D
    I guess I'm just wondering what the climate is for networkig professionals right now and what would be the best way to get back into the feild.
    Things are tough all over because of the economy.

Hook up with a Cisco Business Partner & get your digits active again -- or consider contracting to bring in some $$$ as you prepare to re-CCIE.

Technical pre-sales is also something to look at.....
    Oh by the way I couldn't get on to look at my status, even though I know it's expired. However I was #8113 which at the time wasn't considered low, but I don't know what they're up to now.
    A free guest level Cisco account should give you access to the CCIE/CCDE Verification Tool.

8113 is now a "low number." :D Current # is closing in on 26000 & there are just over 20,000 Active CCIEs worldwide.

Your CCIE # will still get people's attention and hits when people are searching for resumes -- just make sure you mention it's status (inactive?). Your First Name, Last Name & # should still let someone confirm your "former" CCIE -- and the "status" in the verification system is probably the "phrasing" you'd use on your resume and/or cover letter.

Edit -- Okay, I found it!!
    Certification Status: Inactive
    Certification Date: 30-Aug-2001
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!