Options

Home Security from an IT Professional's Standpoint?

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
I've recently been looking into some home security solutions and really don't want to pay a monthly fee for someone to "monitor" my home, plus I feel I can setup something much better on my own.

I work a lot with security products, but it's mostly access control (exit sensors, card readers, maglocks, etc.) and not intrusion detection/notification.

As far as monitoring goes, I believe a few IP cameras setup so I could monitor them remotely would suffice, but I'm still looking into some sort of cheaper intrusion detection system. I've looked into various GE products, some of which will dial some numbers automatically, etc.

Basically, my only real requirements for an intrusion detection system is the ability to monitor one door, a few windows, the ability to use a motion detector or two, audible alarms, and preferably the ability to notify myself and the authorities somehow.

When I got to thinking, what I would really like is some way to have outside access to the system via my home network, be notified via phone call, text message, or email, but I'm not sure if a home security solution such as this has been developed yet. Basically, I'm a geek and would like to integrate a home security solution into my home network as much as possible.

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions/experience?

Comments

• Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Better go with cable ISP or cellular for connectivity because if someone cuts the phone line then good bye DSL. Just a helpful hint.

Why don't you try to find the episodes of It Takes A Thief that the Discovery Channel produced a couple of years ago. You might get some ideas as far as products go.
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    I've seen a few episodes of that show, but nothing that leaned towards anything IP based.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is this a sly social engineering technique to figure out what we all have in place to secure our homes? :)

I think I would go with entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.

MS
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Schlage LiNK

Seems to be getting good reviews as far as door accessibility and logging entry. I wouldn't pay the monthly fee required to use it, though.

I actually sent them an e-mail and told them they are losing a customer who would have put all of his home entry doors on this because of the monthly fee to use it online. I told them to lot me know when they drop the fee and I'll become a customer (the things aren't cheap, and the monthly fee isn't either, considering what you're getting).They replied with something along the lines of "Yes, a monthly fee is charged." Bleh.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »
    Is this a sly social engineering technique to figure out what we all have in place to secure our homes? :)

I think I would go with entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.

MS

So then should we ask, "Cani magno non habet?" Pretty simple.

But seriously. To the OP. What good would this home system do for you when you are not home and some one breaks in and takes the PC or whatever hardware you have running it? How does it call the police for you or call the fire department?
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know the cheapo Linksys IP camera's as well as some of the more professional grade ones, as well as most DVR setup's using CCTV camera's typically have an ability to setup motion fields. If motion is detected in a particular specified region (window, doorway, etc) anytime or at times that you specify - you can be notified via SMS or e-mail, and often you can include a graphic or a short video clip with it.

The only problem with doing just the camera route, while it can achieve your goal of notifying you if there is an event, it's not a practical setup IMO. You would probably want to go with a more complete alarm setup with door/window contacts, motions, perhaps glass break detectors. I researched IP based monitoring extensively (I don't have a land-line) early this year after a break-in, the reviews were very mixed as to the quality. I would avoid just camera's because it's going to be harder to incorporate a system into those to warm intruders that they have triggered an alarm so they would probably just continue about their business. In the meantime, you'll get a notification and spend some time logging into your cameras. Depending on their location you may or may not see the intruders on a live feed, and replaying the event that triggered the alarm to verify a break-in would waste time as well. By the time you realize it is not a false alarm and notify authorities, they may have had enough time to get away with some of your valuables.

In my opinion, if you have items of value that you are concerned with being stolen then I would consider professional monitoring. There really is no substitute for a professional system IMO. When I was looking I had a local place that would monitor for $11.95 a month if I pre-paid for a year. Small price to pay for 24/7 alarm and fire monitoring, also would have saved a small chunk on our homeowners policy as well.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So then should we ask, "Cani magno non habet?" Pretty simple.

Yeah, have fun cleaning up the mess...

I thought it would be funny to say "control complexity" in a very complex way....

MS
  • Options
    I suppose I may not have taken the time to describe what I was really looking for. I'm looking more for systems that can actually be monitored on your LAN/have a web interface, etc. GE makes some systems that have a web interface, but I'm not completely sure of all capabilities such as notification.

For example, a company called S2 security makes a very nice, business class IP based access control solution. It can do everything I'm interested in, but it's access control, not intrusion detection.

Setting up a professional system is easy. I've wired up and configured maglocks, card readers, door and window contacts, IP and analog cameras, exit sensors, etc. I'm just not thrilled with the idea of someone being paid $7 an hour to monitor the system, or signing a contract and having to commit to a lengthy agreement when I can implement a solution on my own and tailor it to my needs.

But seriously. To the OP. What good would this home system do for you when you are not home and some one breaks in and takes the PC or whatever hardware you have running it? How does it call the police for you or call the fire department?

The PC doesn't run the system, it would only be a means to access and control it. And it would notify because the system is armed when you're not home, asleep, whatever. If someone breaks in and trips an alarm (door/window contact, motion detector) then a predetermined set of events happen. Alarms go off, strobe lights flash, numbers are dialed, etc.

My valuables are of no real concern. They are things and I have homeowner's insurance. The safety of myself and my home are the priority, thus making it too risky for an intruder to continue into the home is my primary concern.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »
    Yeah, have fun cleaning up the mess...

I thought it would be funny to say "control complexity" in a very complex way....

MS

I got it! That's why I phrased my simple answer in a complex way. icon_biggrin.gif