Options

How to become Databse Admin / Analyst

benchodbenchod Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
How does one become database admin / analyst, do they first need experience as system admin / network admin and then move into the database role ?

How does the transaction happen ... I finally made up my mind and I will like to go towards Database Route

Any tips ?

Thanks
B

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    MS / Oracle dba cert path and work as a junior DBA. Get knowledge of Unix, Citrix, VM ware as well. I'm not a dba but those I have come across have followed that route.

A good clue would be to go on job boards for dbas and see the sort of certs, skills and experience they are after and work on those.
    Kam.
  • Options
    They all require massive amount of experience. Does it make sense to start off as system admin path ?

Where does the system admin path / network admin path take anyone in career ?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    benchod wrote: »
    How does one become database admin / analyst, do they first need experience as system admin / network admin and then move into the database role ?

How does the transaction happen ... I finally made up my mind and I will like to go towards Database Route

Any tips ?

Thanks
    B

A couple years ago I talked with a DBA friend of mind about what it takes to be dba. This is what he said to me:

Learn XSQL (MS-SQL, MYSQL, ProSQL, Oracle ext)
    Learn Storage and Server Technologies
    Learn a programming language (such as java)
    Learn web development (back end scripting languages, such as asp

My friend is a dba for the USAF. He works a lot with application development and deals with Oracle on a daily bases.

Edit: He use to do sysadmin work.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have not met a DBA in any of my jobs who had sys admin experience. Not to say there aren't any.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    knwminus wrote: »
    A couple years ago I talked with a DBA friend of mind about what it takes to be dba. This is what he said to me:

Learn XSQL (MS-SQL, MYSQL, ProSQL, Oracle ext)
    Learn Storage and Server Technologies
    Learn a programming language (such as java)
    Learn web development (back end scripting languages, such as asp

My friend is a dba for the USAF. He works a lot with application development and deals with Oracle on a daily bases.

Edit: He use to do sysadmin work.

Great story. Can't wait for the SQL.

Sorry, couldn't resist... LOL...
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Great story. Can't wait for the SQL.

Sorry, couldn't resist... LOL...

lol.

While in HS i wanted to get into DBA. I was involved in a computer training course for inner city youth which trained me in mysql, asp, and html. We did some work for local companies including a shopping cart website for Kroger (local/national? Store).

I thought being a web developer/dba would be fun but I found it to be difficult to find formal education to help me become a dba. I have never seen a degree towards dba (minus WGU). The friend of mine (put more accurately he is a friend of my fathers) told me that getting into that line of work was difficult and he made his start in the Air Force. He then started telling me about various certifications and started talking about advanced dba concepts and sites to go to (including sqlservercentral.com which I highly suggest).

to OP: go to this site http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Books/
    Register and download the book how to be a great dba. It is an incredible book that will help you decided whether or you really want to go into DBA work.
  • Options
    It seems like database is a hard field to break in and so it Network and software, it seems like all of the IT field is hard to break in.

The only people who are lucky to be making good money in IT are individuals who started about 10 years ago.

I am sick and tired of the tech job I already have, I hate answering phone calls ... I need a real IT job.

I am trying my best to find a route...

Does anyone know how do most DBA break the industry ?

Its like getting in SAP industry, your caught in catch 22.

B
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just begin one step at the time: begin with any SQL and some programming like the mentioned above.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    benchod wrote: »
    It seems like database is a hard field to break in and so it Network and software, it seems like all of the IT field is hard to break in.

The only people who are lucky to be making good money in IT are individuals who started about 10 years ago.

I am sick and tired of the tech job I already have, I hate answering phone calls ... I need a real IT job.

I am trying my best to find a route...

Does anyone know how do most DBA break the industry ?

Its like getting in SAP industry, your caught in catch 22.

B

This is not a career for you to shoot for in the next two years. You are going to need to build to it. I suggest you go the Net Admin path. One of my major job responsabilities is the care and feeding of a SQL server. Not only do I need to keep it running and keep it running fast, but I need to write reports using T-SQL. But I'm not really a DBA in title. This is because I have many other responsabilities and our small company only has a few databases that are really mission critical. SQL Server is probably only 25% of my job right now.

My plan was this:
    * Break into the net admin role (done)
    * Find a job working with SharePoint and SQL Server (done)
    * Attain the MCITP DBA 2005 (one test left)/MCITP DBA2008/MCITP DB Developer 2008/MCITP: BI 2008 certifications. (WIP)
    * Learn more about storage solutions. (WIP)
    * Use the knowledge and experience I gain on the job and through certification to attain a job in a larger company working primarily with SQL Server. (1.5 to 2 years from now).

So far I have taken 3 years to get to the middle of my goal. If you are looking for something to transition into in the next year, DBA is not going to be it. Might I suggest you start by getting a net admin position. Once you have refined that skill set begin to look for a higher level net admin position that has some SQL Server in it.

Does it suprise you that you cannot just walk into a position that makes median $80K per year?

Read these:
    How to Become an Exceptional DBA, 2nd Edition
    http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:2168358627410
    The Skill Set of the Exceptional DBA - SQLServerCentral
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I do sysadmin/operations type work for a local govt. I'd say 20% of my duties include junior dba type work. While here i've worked with informix and SQL2k5, and I did the MS cert 70-431. It just builds. Start off with day to day maintenace type tasks, using SQL for ad hoc queries etc...and crystal reports is a great tool to piggyback onto your views.

I dont know how everyone else started, and I wouldnt really call myself a DBA, but my experience just started as a regular sysadmin in a small group that needed help.
  • Options
  • Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    As someone who is in my fifth month of being a Jr. DBA, I can tell you that it may take luck. I attained my MCTS on SQL Server 2005 and joined a local user group for SQL Server. I subscribed to the mailing list where recruiters would post jobs. I posted my own topic about how I was new and trying to get into a DBA role. I got a few replies and one led to my current job. Network as much as you can and don't be afraid to apply for jobs even if you don't meet all the requirements.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jbrown414 wrote: »
    As someone who is in my fifth month of being a Jr. DBA, I can tell you that it may take luck. I attained my MCTS on SQL Server 2005 and joined a local user group for SQL Server. I subscribed to the mailing list where recruiters would post jobs. I posted my own topic about how I was new and trying to get into a DBA role. I got a few replies and one led to my current job. Network as much as you can and don't be afraid to apply for jobs even if you don't meet all the requirements.

I'm not sure if you are describing your experience as luck or not. But if you are you are selling yourself short. That is very clearly determination and action. While luck can always be a factor in stuff like this, what you have described is your own hard work!
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    Start off by buying SQL or Oracle database (and linux) books.

If your interest is SQL Server, install the software read the books and practice.

If it ORACLE, install linux then oracle, read the books and practice.

I recommend getting some formal training on the database technology you want to persue. databases are high valued business resources( requires advance knowledge and years of experience to manage them) hence the reason why you may find it difficult to break into this field, for me my training started while i was doing my degree 8 years back.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I'm not sure if you are describing your experience as luck or not. But if you are you are selling yourself short. That is very clearly determination and action. While luck can always be a factor in stuff like this, what you have described is your own hard work!

I should have been more clear. I was very lucky that at that given time, the company I currently work for had just created an entry level DBA job. It was in fact my hard work that lead to me getting the job.