Options

How do you setup up a Outlook acct and blackberry?

passcert23passcert23 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was asked these 2 questions on my last interview for a government contract position and could not answer this. I have never setup them up before. Can someone please give me the steps so that I will be able to answer these question the next time around. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you believe it represents a gap in your skill set I would suggest you get a book on BlackBerry Enterprise Server and Exchange.

In every interview you go to you may be faced with a few questions to which you do not know the answers. Take this opportunity to demonstrate how you would react to a situation where you need to do something you don't know how to. How do you handle the unkown? In IT you cannot know everything and this is an important coping skill.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Answer - This is not something I have any direct experience with, so I'm not able to adequately answer your question, though I would be happy to research it.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I dont really know your background.

You really need to round out your desktop support skills it sounds like. check out vtc.com they have training on Exchange and Outlook there you should certainly do. Build a small lab. I hate to tell you, but you might need ot invest about 30-40 hours on this one. Might even want to consider the 70-284 exam.

from there look into snagging a blackberry of your own, setup BIS, redirector and see if you can't get a book on blackberry server.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you setting up Outlook with POP3 or and Exchange server?

For the blackberry, are you using BIS, Desktop redirector, or BES/BPS?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At my job we set the use up with a blackberry e-mail address and then set a contact in active direct to forward every e-mail to that blackberry e-mail address. Not the best solution, but it's better the nothing. Redirector sucks as a lady that works at my company uses it and has to leave her computer on all the time in order for it to work.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
    There are 2 options of doing this.

BIS and BES

BIS uses OWA, POP or IMAP. Whichever of the 3 you use the connection is hosted through the Blackberry central services. All 3 just connect after a certain ammount of time and will download new emails. Using OWA offers calendar support as well I believe but I can't remeber if that's correct.

BES is the far better system but it's much more costly, you need a BES server and it holds an open connection to all configured mailboxes through a specifically configured account and said account tells the BES server when new emails are received. The BES server then forwards the email to the handheld. It's a nifty system and the handheld will often receive the email before outlook gets it via mapi.

You should note that it's more complex than this but this should be enough for a bit of background reading.

I feel for you a bit on this one becuase if you haven't worked with BES there's no easy way to get much reading on it. Actually if you go to their website I think there is a tutorial on how to install Blackberry Professional Services and it's very similar to BES.
  • Options
    passcert23passcert23 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much and I look into those training videos. Is there a good blackberry video or book that someone can recommend?

@tenrou your post was really informative. Thanks.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    tenrou wrote: »
    There are 2 options of doing this.

BIS and BES

BIS uses OWA, POP or IMAP. Whichever of the 3 you use the connection is hosted through the Blackberry central services. All 3 just connect after a certain ammount of time and will download new emails. Using OWA offers calendar support as well I believe but I can't remeber if that's correct.

BES is the far better system but it's much more costly, you need a BES server and it holds an open connection to all configured mailboxes through a specifically configured account and said account tells the BES server when new emails are received. The BES server then forwards the email to the handheld. It's a nifty system and the handheld will often receive the email before outlook gets it via mapi.

You should note that it's more complex than this but this should be enough for a bit of background reading.

I feel for you a bit on this one becuase if you haven't worked with BES there's no easy way to get much reading on it. Actually if you go to their website I think there is a tutorial on how to install Blackberry Professional Services and it's very similar to BES.

In other words, use windows mobile
  • Options
    kentrgkentrg Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I assume you mean to setup a mailbox for the user. The user will need to be created in Active Directory or which ever tool you use to manage AD. Find Exchange Tasks and select the Storage you want to place that mailbox.

As for BES you will first need to activate the blackberry which will go through a sync process with the users Outlook account. It goes far more in depth if you are talking about configuring Exchange to work with BES etc.

Blackberry offers Certifications in BES if you want to dwell into policies etc.
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Certification Program
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    This is why the Palm Pre and iPhone rock.

Active Sync FTW =)

Blackberry only has as much enterprise business as they do for one reason. They were first. They are definitely not better. =)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel