Options

Office Crashing! need urgent help!!

Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
Okay, apologies if this is the wrong forum for this, but I couldn't find the old real time problems section...

Users are running Vista SP2, with Office 2007.

Anyway, I have multiple users, but not all experiencing a problem. When we try to start any Office app, it crashes right away. There is nothing in the event viewer other than an Event 7001 entry, which only reports the fact that the app crashed. We tried repair, uninstall/reinstall, delete tmp files, add-ins... I think it may be a profile issue, but I'm not sure where that would be.. The ultimate fix for now appears to be backing up data and reimaging..but with almost 100 users down I don't have the time or manpower to do all that, expecially if only backing data versus full user profile..

Has anyone seen this, or anything close to it?....

Edit: All patches are up to date, managed by an outside team. The latest update was an Outlook service pack..
i remain, he who remains to be....

Comments

• Options
    Thanks..but not the same problem. We can't even get the application to start, let alone open a file. I'm trying to bend away from recreating user profiles, as it would be very time consuming on almost 100 machines...

There's got be something corrupt somewhere that is causing this....
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    Can you open them in safe mode? (winword /safe)

Some other switches here. How to use startup command line switches to start Word 2007, Word 2003, Word 2002, and Word 2000

What was recently pushed out? Anything?
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies... I think we have it solved. It appears related to our Xerox printers, if that makes any sense. Once we delete the printer from a users computer, Office opens fine. We can then re-add the printer and it still works. Weird, really weird for sure. My supervisor is the print server manager, so I don't have access there. We're going to tell him to completely, 100% delete all Xerox printers and their related files off the server. Then one by one, re-add them with the latest drivers and updates. I think he has different driver versions that's causing a conflict. We are going to run a few tests on a couple of machines to verify. Will post any other findings....thx again!
  • Options
    desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ricka182 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies... I think we have it solved. It appears related to our Xerox printers, if that makes any sense. Once we delete the printer from a users computer, Office opens fine. We can then re-add the printer and it still works. Weird, really weird for sure. My supervisor is the print server manager, so I don't have access there. We're going to tell him to completely, 100% delete all Xerox printers and their related files off the server. Then one by one, re-add them with the latest drivers and updates. I think he has different driver versions that's causing a conflict. We are going to run a few tests on a couple of machines to verify. Will post any other findings....thx again!

Not as odd as you'd think. The printer drivers seem to "load" up during the initial office "loading", if you watch the lower left of your screen (I think, I have 2010 Tech Preview now) you'll see it error out and then crash. Had this problem several times, and glad you found the answer, I was reading and just about to post!:)