Options

BS or MS for a career changer?

lumbercislumbercis Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I've been seriously considering a mid-career change into IT. I'm almost 37 and have an MA in Political Science and currently work for a non-profit in DC. However, I was considering switching over to IT. I would like to specialize in Linux (RHCE) and Security. I have somewhat of an Infosec background due to my time as a linguist for the Air Force (TS/SCI clearance, expired). But no real IT experience other than as a user.

I know from looking at job listings that I will need an IT degree of some sort, but I am not sure whether it makes more sense to pursue an BS degree or to try to jump directly into an MS degree. If it makes a difference, I have about 13 months of the new GI Bill benefits left which will basically take care of tuition and books plus a small stipend for that period of time, but after that, the cost is all on me.

My original plan was to pursue some certs (RHCE and security certs) and then use those and whatever experience I can get as a springboard to get into a security-specific MS program.
Benefits would be: 1) less overall time/cost in school 2) more "prestigious" degree at the end. Cons are 1): preparedness; I would need to teach myself (through certs and home study) most of the things an undergraduate CS major would have learned in order to not feel that I was lagging behind my peers and in order to get the most out of the program. Also, I would likely have to be in the position of finding a job prior to getting into the MS program in order to get some experience. I don't think I would be accepted into an MS security program with just certs, a non CS degree, and no experience. A complicating factor is that many MS programs require advanced math coursework which I do not have due to my background.

My other option is to just go back and do an undergrad CS program. With my previous degrees taking care of most of the non-CS requirements, I could probably finish a BS program in about 3 years. Pros: preparedness: I won't have to worry that there are gaps in my knowledge like I would if I self-taught and went straight to an MS. Cons: cost, time, and at the end of it, I only have an entry-level qualification (doesn't seem like a CS undergrad goes as far as it once did).

I know it's a pretty unique situation, and honestly, my decision will probably be as much affected by personal factors as the ones I listed here. But I would appreciate any insight you experienced professionals might have on the subject. Any flaws in my reasoning? Elements that I haven't considered?

Thanks for your insight!

J.

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    lumbercis wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been seriously considering a mid-career change into IT. I'm almost 37 and have an MA in Political Science and currently work for a non-profit in DC. However, I was considering switching over to IT. I would like to specialize in Linux (RHCE) and Security. I have somewhat of an Infosec background due to my time as a linguist for the Air Force (TS/SCI clearance, expired). But no real IT experience other than as a user.

I know from looking at job listings that I will need an IT degree of some sort, but I am not sure whether it makes more sense to pursue an BS degree or to try to jump directly into an MS degree. If it makes a difference, I have about 13 months of the new GI Bill benefits left which will basically take care of tuition and books plus a small stipend for that period of time, but after that, the cost is all on me.

My original plan was to pursue some certs (RHCE and security certs) and then use those and whatever experience I can get as a springboard to get into a security-specific MS program.
    Benefits would be: 1) less overall time/cost in school 2) more "prestigious" degree at the end. Cons are 1): preparedness; I would need to teach myself (through certs and home study) most of the things an undergraduate CS major would have learned in order to not feel that I was lagging behind my peers and in order to get the most out of the program. Also, I would likely have to be in the position of finding a job prior to getting into the MS program in order to get some experience. I don't think I would be accepted into an MS security program with just certs, a non CS degree, and no experience. A complicating factor is that many MS programs require advanced math coursework which I do not have due to my background.

My other option is to just go back and do an undergrad CS program. With my previous degrees taking care of most of the non-CS requirements, I could probably finish a BS program in about 3 years. Pros: preparedness: I won't have to worry that there are gaps in my knowledge like I would if I self-taught and went straight to an MS. Cons: cost, time, and at the end of it, I only have an entry-level qualification (doesn't seem like a CS undergrad goes as far as it once did).

I know it's a pretty unique situation, and honestly, my decision will probably be as much affected by personal factors as the ones I listed here. But I would appreciate any insight you experienced professionals might have on the subject. Any flaws in my reasoning? Elements that I haven't considered?

Thanks for your insight!

J.

I think most everyone here would agree that a Master's degree would be the way to go if you want to do the traditional education route. Otherwise go for certifications. You would be surprised by the degrees of some of the people here on TechExams. Your ability to get a clearance in the past will help if you want to go into the area of security. If you search for Masters vs. Bachelors you will find information from others that have asked the same questions as you.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi all,

Thanks for your insight!

J.

If you're looking to change career's then the MBA is the way to go if you get into a good school. You're probably the exact person the mba was designed for in actuality. Not only does it open up the IT field but most others as well so you have more options in a bad economy. In your case i think you'd prly fit the management consultancy role to a tee with an mba.

If it were me making the decision it would be MBA then MIS, then certs but never the CS.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    You dont really need an IT based degree to get into the field. Just get some entry level certs and try to land a starter job and go from there.

You aren't going to dive in making tons of money, even with a masters in IT because you have 0 experience.
  • Options
    CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□

Only do this if you have a natural tendency to salivate over algorithms and data structures as that is what you'll be knee-deep in for three years. You've got a solid education on paper so why not let self-study be your main driver at this point?
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • Options
    CChN wrote: »
    Only do this if you have a natural tendency to salivate over algorithms and data structures as that is what you'll be knee-deep in for three years. You've got a solid education on paper so why not let self-study be your main driver at this point?

+1 Computer Science is boring if you aren't in to programming.
  • Options
    mav2005mav2005 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Earn an MBA from a solid (mid to upper tier) program and use that to move into IT project management/IT general management.

Buy a few spare machines, build a network at home, install Linux, and learn Linux/security as a hobby.

You'll appreciate the MBA and the accompanying alumni network more than you realize.
  • Options
    CChN wrote: »

Haha, well you've pretty much guaranteed that I won't be pursuing an undergrad degree! I can hold my nose and do math if I have to, but I don't find it particularly compelling. I'd like to learn enough programming for sysadmin tasks, but have no real pretensions to be a software programmer.

I'm surprised by the whole push to an MBA. It's something I hadn't considered before. When you guys say MBA are you specifically NOT referring to MIS type programs? Or are you trying to say in a polite way that switching to a hardcore tech role at this stage of the game is a bad idea? icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the insights so far.
  • Options
    Haha, well you've pretty much guaranteed that I won't be pursuing an undergrad degree! I can hold my nose and do math if I have to, but I don't find it particularly compelling. I'd like to learn enough programming for sysadmin tasks, but have no real pretensions to be a software programmer.

I'm surprised by the whole push to an MBA. It's something I hadn't considered before. When you guys say MBA are you specifically NOT referring to MIS type programs? Or are you trying to say in a polite way that switching to a hardcore tech role at this stage of the game is a bad idea? icon_wink.gif

I don't think that was intended at all. If you are going for certs and an MBA (I highly recommend this mix) then you will find that many of the certs are worse than any college class on IT. More on point the MBA will bring you greater ROI then the MS I believe.
  • Options
    mav2005mav2005 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□

Dollar for dollar, the MBA will provide more value over the length of your entire working life compared to an IT based MS degree.

The bottom line is, how do you know that you'd enjoy working in the technical realm of IT? Security is a growing sector of IT, but the majority of security professionals I know have spent many years paying their dues. Your best bet is to start things off as a hobby and use your money to invest in an education that could further your current career or help you migrate to IT.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First hand advice from someone who has an MS in Engineering.

DONT DO IT.

Like the others have said, do an MBA. Makes you more marketable. My MS hasnt gotten me any advantage during an interview. So save money, dont do it.

Certs and perhaps a bachelor degree would be the best mix, IMHO.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    First hand advice from someone who has an MS in Engineering.

DONT DO IT.

Like the others have said, do an MBA. Makes you more marketable. My MS hasnt gotten me any advantage during an interview. So save money, dont do it.

Certs and perhaps a bachelor degree would be the best mix, IMHO.

Are you saying get the MBA even for a technical role? The idea being that the higher you go in the tech bracket, the more the job becomes managerial rather than strictly technical. So the MBA makes you stand out from others that have the tech skills only?

Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Thanks! :D
  • Options
    scotto415scotto415 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you saying get the MBA even for a technical role? The idea being that the higher you go in the tech bracket, the more the job becomes managerial rather than strictly technical. So the MBA makes you stand out from others that have the tech skills only?

Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Thanks! :D

There is another option that is emerging, called a Professional Science Masters. This degree option is technical, but has a business/"real-world" core component that gives you what you need for management careers. An example of one of these is the MSIS program at Baker College Center for Graduate Studies/Online (Welcome to Baker College). There are a number of these programs around, and they are heavily pushed (and funded) by industry groups, the Council for Graduate Schools, and the NSF. This might be an option for you.

Regards,
    scotto...