Options

Network Support Analyst

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm interviewing for this position and wanted to get some feedback on the following from some of the senior members or those that are currently in this type of position or associated with people in this type of a position that might know some details to my questions.

The position is for a Network Support Analyst at a very large and secure database center and they have 7-8 more in other major markets. It's a dream job and a platform for me to excel in networking, but the commute will suck, whereas I have no commute now working from my home.

My experince is more than relative to the posiion, and I recently got my certifications. Also I interviewed last year with the company for the same position. This year I cold called the person I interviewed with and gave them an update on my new certs, sent an email to HR from the website and I am where I am now, within the process, a final interview scheduled on Friday.

Salary range--I know this will vary by market and experience, but I live in the northeast and it will be in the larger metro area of Boston. I would be extremely committed to the job.

Day to Day--If you know of this type of position what can you say about it positives and negatives.

Where I work now I have company vehicle, work from home and make "ok, could be better" money where I am at but NO FUTURE and it's basically grunt work.

This is my dream job and jump off opportunity I really am concerned about the salary. I have more than once started with a company and realized I got $hort changed on the pay, or realized I came in at bottom dollar. So I'm cautious for those two reasons and hope to make the best in both these situations.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sounds like a great opportunity, good luck!

Salary wise, tell them what you want to make. Either they can meet it or not. I never seen the point of playing the cat and mouse game of not giving them a number first. If you just want the job no matter what the salary, tell them its negotiable.

As far as day to day, I'd have to see the job description as tittles can be very misleading. I would guess you would be doing troubleshooting, upgrades, installs etc for the network equipment though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Here is the job description from their website. Let me know if you more insight and I too think it's a great opportunity. I just hope the money is right, and I don't get lowballed. I really really really want the job, but need $xx a year. I guess that is the best way to address it.

Network Operations Center (NOC) Analyst

<insert company name> provides managed information technology solutions including system and network administration. The company has an immediate need for a Network Operations Center (NOC) Analyst to be responsible for proactive service monitoring and reactive customer request management. The position operates on a rotating schedule in support of operations 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. With headquarters in <insert corporate HQ> and many other data center facilities throughout the country, we are invested in the personal development of each of our employees by providing opportunities for advancement within the company. <Insert Company Name> employees enjoy a competitive pay and benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, paid time off, company holidays, and a 401(k) program with a company match. The incumbent will report to the Manager of the Network Operations Center, and be located in <insert city>. <insert company name> is owned by <parent company>, a wholly owned business unit of <bigger parent company>. More information is available at <insert company website>

PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
    • Follow security procedures to facilitate customer access requests inside the data center using access control lists
    • Process and prioritize customer requests by phone , e-mail, or in person for service related assistance applying to a variety of technologies
    • Utilize the trouble ticket system to log all requests and activities including documentation of special requests and customizations considered important for future support
    • Monitor the operational support systems to proactively identify service impacting events relating to IT, network, and facility conditions
    • Communicate with customers and internal staff at regular intervals to ensure expectations are set and that appropriate attention is being paid to customer requests
    • Escalate problems to the appropriate engineering disciplines within the organization or external vendors as required to achieve resolution
    • Support customer solutions across all <nsert company name> data centers as assigned by the management team
    Minimum Qualifications:
    • Associate degree in a technical discipline or equivalent work experience and industry technical certifications (CCNA, MCSE, A+, etc)
    • Previous customer service work experience is required, but candidates with help desk or system administration experience are preferred
    • Excellent written and verbal communication skills
    • Strong analytical and independent problem solving skills
    • Demonstrable level of competency with Internet technologies including:
      • Principals of networking
      • Windows operating system
      • Familiarity with basic UNIX commands
      • DNS and WEB services
    The checked salary.com and the closet I could come to a similar tittie or description were Network Engineer I (entry level) or Systems/Applications Support.

I really want the job, thanks for your advice.
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It sounds entry level? Only reason I say that is the job description sounds pretty vague or almost customer technical support like a lot of password resetting?

I was not sure on your experience level though so would this be a step up for you?

Also you really cannot short yourself on salary since if you accepted it I would hope it is more than what you were making before. If others were hired when the economy was good and then you interview "now" salary differences will reflect it.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I would agree with tpatt on this. The key words to lead to this position being entry level are "Principals of networking" and "basic UNIX commands." I would estimate that this position would pay in the range of $35k-50k DoE and market saturation.

When evaluating the position/job offer remember to gauge the years of direct experience you have with the technology against their requirements. Also remember to consider any benefits such as tuition reimbursement, paid training, time off, 401k, etc.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »

I was not sure on your experience level though so would this be a step up for you?

It's more of a lateral move, with great upside potential. I will have access to and be able to learn other technologies that would be more aligned with my "dream job"... It's a jumping off point. While I am a break/fix field tech now, this would be more of an actual IT role with an opportunity and pathway towards a Network or Systems Engineer. Tha's the way I see it anyhow. That is why I was looking for insight from people that might know of this role/responsibilities, so they could shed some light on the day to day.

As far as pay, I think it might be a bit more than what I make now (that is what I am hoping). If it is at my magic number right now, there is no thinking about it, I would take it, as I do believe it's a great opportunity.

But I have some perks I'm trying to take into consideration, if the money isn't right, it would be very hard to leave those perks. See I make alot of OT right now, but I think this position is exempt. I also work pretty independent for the most part. I have a company vehicle, gas card maintainence all paid for and an amex if I need tools etc, however it's a dead end job. Some times the grass can seem greener ...

so I am trying to proceed with caution, as I think I came along at the right time and the only one being interviewed. The person even told me he wanted to get somone in the pipeline before the position was approved, and it's been nonstop at this point and it makes me think I am the only one being interviewed. So things are moving fast!
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    I found these salary comps on monster, which seem to be the closest I can match to the position, if I have a good read on the position that is.

Network Engineer I (entry level)

http://monster.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_compresult.asp?Zipcode=&Metrocode=23&Statecode=MA&Metro=Boston&Geo=Boston,%20MA&Search=&geocode=&jobtitle=Network%20Engineer%20I&jobcode=IT10000252&narrowdesc=&narrowcode=IT08&r=mnstr_swzttsbtn_psr&p=MNSTR42X

Systems Support

http://monster.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_compresult.asp?Zipcode=&Metrocode=23&Statecode=MA&Metro=Boston&Geo=Boston,%20MA&Search=&geocode=&jobtitle=Systems%20Support%20Assistant&jobcode=IT10000293&narrowdesc=&narrowcode=IT08&r=mnstr_swzttsbtn_psr&p=MNSTR42X

The way we initially discussed the position is defnitely a jumping off point to becomng a Network Engineer, but isn't quite the title, and they have definitely shared with me that it is a support position, so I don't expect to be designing or anything, just workking hard, providing support and learning everything I can along the way.

So it seems that is what they want you to become eventually after being with the company for a bit. If they money is right, I would pour my heart and soul into it and wouldn't think twice! icon_exclaim.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I found these salary comps on monster, which seem to be the closest I can match to the position, if I have a good read on the position that is.

Network Engineer I (entry level)

Monster.com

Systems Support

http://monster.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_compresult.asp?Zipcode=&Metrocode=23&Statecode=MA&Metro=Boston&Geo=Boston,%20MA&Search=&geocode=&jobtitle=Systems%20Support%20Assistant&jobcode=IT10000293&narrowdesc=&narrowcode=IT08&r=mnstr_swzttsbtn_psr&p=MNSTR42X

The way we initially discussed the position is defnitely a jumping off point to becomng a Network Engineer, but isn't quite the title, and they have definitely shared with me that it is a support position, so I don't expect to be designing or anything, just workking hard, providing support and learning everything I can along the way.

So it seems that is what they want you to become eventually after being with the company for a bit. If they money is right, I would pour my heart and soul into it and wouldn't think twice! icon_exclaim.gif

Good luck, but NOC to me is an entry level help desk for routing and switching. I don't know how much you would actually be doing, sounds like maybe looking at a NOC wall, seeing if something is down and doing very entry level troubleshooting. Looking at running configs. I would say 32K-37K.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck, but NOC to me is an entry level help desk for routing and switching. I don't know how much you would actually be doing, sounds like maybe looking at a NOC wall, seeing if something is down and doing very entry level troubleshooting. Looking at running configs. I would say 32K-37K.

+1 My thoughts exactly.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It could be a potential to moving up if you regularly speak with the higher level IT guys though. If you know you have no upwards movement in your current position then it might not hurt to move sideways.
  • Options
    abhustlerabhustler Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've worked as a network analyst several years ago and it was my second IT related job. I started at 18 dollars a hour. But looking at the description you will likely be doing a little less than what I did so I would expect 35,000 a year. You'll likely field all initial calls and stare at screen looking for alarms triggered from SNMP traffic and perform routine checks etc trying to ping the external ip, checking for authentication, looking at access-lists. Beyond that you will probably be dispatching to network engineers and providers. However for an entry level job it certainly beats doing help desk. You will likely do less stressful work, get paid more, and learn quite a bit along the way. Also, as I did, you will probably be reimbursed for certifications and asked to get them. Use that to your advantage. Get some certs like the CCNA, put in a year or two, and your salary will start to sky rocket. For me, my salary double a little less than 4 years after my analyst job and I am currently working as a Network Engineer.
    A master at anything was once a beginner
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I hope, as far as salary, that all of you are wrong because that is way off what I'm going to need and I would not bee able to accept the job. However I'm going to go through with it and see how it turns out.

I also researched the ones that responded and their respective job markets as listed on the profiles. The result was about 10K difference for the two positions I had previously researched on monster(salary.com), so I will probably go with that number as a way to gauge the salary that could be offered. Boston is not a cheap market from what I have seen in my short time here.

However it's saddens me that there is a chance that I will not be able to accept the position, if an offer is even made in the range that has been mentioned on this thread.

Hopefully the people I have spoken to at the company, really meant what they said when they said "the company likes to invest in their people", because I do want to grow with a company. Bringing in a person that has great potential and at a mid-range or above the stated salary range for their diverse and relative work experience they bring to the table is what I would consider an investment in your people. Then again, I do not own / operate a large ass datacenter! icon_lol.gif

Wish me luck!
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    However it's saddens me that there is a chance that I will not be able to accept the position, if an offer is even made in the range that has been mentioned on this thread.

It sounds like you need to look for mid level or higher type work if you need a bigger salary. I agree with others that this looks like an entry level gig, so it makes sense to assume the pay will match that.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NOC positions vary wildly in salary and responsibility. In some NOCs you can gain good hands-on troubleshooting experience, while in others it's help desk level troubleshooting. Most NOC employees are trying to get ahead, so the environment can be cutthroat; if there aren't many "advanced" tasks to work on, everyone will agressively pursue them when they come up. Lastly, keep in mind that a "rotating schedule" likely means having a work schedule including weekends and/or abnormal hours.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV