Options

Train Signal Windows Server 2008 R2 traing

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
With Our Windows Server 2008 R2 Training You Get:
PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
Over 6 Hours of Windows Server 2008 R2 Training Videos on 1 Jam Packed DVD!
Multiple File Formats Make It Convenient for You To Learn Anywhere You Go! iPod Video, Mp3 Audio, .WMV & high quality .AVI video
PDF Instructor Notes allow you to follow along with the videos and take more organized notes.
Don’t Miss Your Chance to Get Our Windows Server 2008 R2 Training Course FREE with the Purchase of Any Training Course!

When This Offer Expires Our Server 2008 R2 Training Course Will Be Sold For $297

I'm just wondering if this is a good deal?
Windows Server 2008 R2 Training | Train Signal
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Six hours of video does not seem much and its not for taking the certification test if that is what you are looking for:
    Will this course prepare me for a Microsoft Certification Exam?"
    NO This course will show you how to take advantage of the new features in Windows Server 2008 R2 and was created specifically as a supplement to our current Server 2008 training series. It does not provide Microsoft Certification Exam coverage.

I think your better off just picking up one of the Microsoft pocket admin guides imo.
  • Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    I think it's better to answer the question depending on how much experience you have with running a Windows server. If you have none then any video training you watch is priceless. You will learn 100x more with video training and a virtual machine following along than a book. If you have some experience then I would suggest you get a good book like tpatt100 suggested. The reason being is you already know majority of the basic concepts.

If I was you and had zero knowledge of running a Windows server then I would get the following...

VMware Workstation
    Windows Press 70-290 - 294 for MCSE or 70-640 - 647 for MCITP Books
    Quad-Core Computer with 8 Gigs of RAM
    Train Signal or CBT Nuggets training videos (Train Signal is the better of the two)

This is the best solution.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ElvisG wrote: »
    I think it's better to answer the question depending on how much experience you have with running a Windows server. If you have none then any video training you watch is priceless. You will learn 100x more with video training and a virtual machine following along than a book. If you have some experience then I would suggest you get a good book like tpatt100 suggested. The reason being is you already know majority of the basic concepts.

If I was you and had zero knowledge of running a Windows server then I would get the following...

VMware Workstation
    Windows Press 70-290 - 294 for MCSE or 70-640 - 647 for MCITP Books
    Quad-Core Computer with 8 Gigs of RAM
    Train Signal or CBT Nuggets training videos (Train Signal is the better of the two)

This is the best solution.

I cannot emphasize enough using virtual machines and the Microsoft Press books. I know they got some flak back when I was studying for my MCSE but the hands on labs are the most important to me imo.
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    I started the MCITP: SA track a few weeks ago as secondary studies to the CCNP and I picked the Sybex book by W. Panek for the 70-640 and 70-642, I started the 70-640, active directory configuration, and after 130 pages I was feeling so clueless that i decided to go the videos route (the fact that I could borrow the testout's material helped on the decision too) and I am falling in love with this thing!!

I think neither the book or the CBT/videos should replace one or another, i think for a beginner trying to learn everything at depth both are almost necessary.

There are some things that I dont really understand watching the videos or reading the explanations in one source and when I go to the other it suddenly makes sense.

i think both options are excellent.

I decided for the Sybex books instead of the MS Press books because of the ratings on amazon.com and other websites. A lot of people reported that they use those books as the only source and pass the exam...that was a big plus too.

Back on topic: Does anyone have the MCITP-SA package from trainsignal? How is it?
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Six hours of video does not seem much and its not for taking the certification test if that is what you are looking for:

I think your better off just picking up one of the Microsoft pocket admin guides imo.

I think the point he's trying to make is that this video is free with any purchase right now.