questions on ports

Jake335Jake335 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Borrowed a sybex book and was hoping to find a table or list with the portsb, but cannot seem to find it. does anyone know where a list is of the ports?
Thanks

Comments

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    If you want a list of all the well known ports, you can look here:
    http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
    That list may be a little longer than you need though:).

I jest. But seriously, I've used that site a lot over the past few years as I've studied and taught Security+, and studied CISSP. As I've come across a protocol from the objectives, I've used the list to look up and document the port with the protocol in my notes.

If you can get your hands on the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead book, it has a table on page 146 of about 20 of the relevant ports.

Additionally, I seem to recall a post on this forum in the past six months that listed a lot of the relevant ports.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Blog
    http://sy0201.blogspot.com/

Security+ Tip of day Tweets
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson
  • flav2000flav2000 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jake335 wrote: »
    Borrowed a sybex book and was hoping to find a table or list with the portsb, but cannot seem to find it. does anyone know where a list is of the ports?
    Thanks

I have the Sybex book myself and I don't recall them ever providing a list - they just sprinkle the ports numbers all over. I am able to find a link to a shortlist of ports though:

www. techotopia.com/index.php/Security%2B_-_Identifying_Common_and_Nonessential_Services

Based on some practice exam provided by different books, I would add a few others on top of the above list:

NETBIOS 137,138, and 139
    Kerberos 88 (and 749)
    RADIUS 1812, 1813
    TACACS(+) 49

Although not really about ports, it seems like the practice questions I see ask about AH and ESP in IPSEC
    IP protocol 50 ESP
    IP protocol 51 AH
    Good start for a list. Maybe others will add.

A common misconception is related to the protocol ID numbers associated with IPSec. As you state, the protocol ID number for the encrypting security protocol (ESP) is 50 and the protocol ID number used for the authentication header (AH) is 51. These are used to filter the specific IPSec protocols just as ports are used to filter specific protocols, but they aren't actually port numbers.

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Blog
    Security Plus: Get Certified Get Ahead

twitter.com/DarrilGibson
    flav2000 wrote: »
    I have the Sybex book myself and I don't recall them ever providing a list - they just sprinkle the ports numbers all over. I am able to find a link to a shortlist of ports though:

Security+ - Identifying Common and Nonessential Services - Techotopia

Based on some practice exam provided by different books, I would add a few others on top of the above list:

NETBIOS 137,138, and 139
    Kerberos 88 (and 749)
    RADIUS 1812, 1813
    TACACS(+) 49

Although not really about ports, it seems like the practice questions I see ask about AH and ESP in IPSEC
    IP protocol 50 ESP
    IP protocol 51 AH
  • flav2000flav2000 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought I will throw it out there since they're asked on the exam. Definitely not port numbers. If they ask a question about ESP and give the choice of answers between IP Protocol 50 and TCP port 50 I bet a sizeable number of people would have got confused with the two.
    Darril wrote: »

A common misconception is related to the protocol ID numbers associated with IPSec. As you state, the protocol ID number for the encrypting security protocol (ESP) is 50 and the protocol ID number used for the authentication header (AH) is 51. These are used to filter the specific IPSec protocols just as ports are used to filter specific protocols, but they aren't actually port numbers.

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Blog

twitter.com/DarrilGibson
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Darril wrote: »

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Blog

twitter.com/DarrilGibson

Thanks for clearing that up for me...
    This topic kept rolling around in my head, so I wrote a couple of blog entries some may find useful:

Understanding Ports
    http://sy0201.blogspot.com/2009/10/understanding-ports.html

Well Known Ports
    Security Plus: Get Certified Get Ahead: Well-known ports

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Blog

twitter.com/DarrilGibson