Options

Where do I start?

Morning everyone,

I started my 1st IT job a month ago and there wanting me to get Microsoft certified, Ive been looking at this certification MCTS as I mainly work on HP servers and they have recently all been upgraded to 2008. Im currently just finishing off my CCNA:Security exam and looking to start this probably in the next 3 weeks.

Is there any particular exam to target first, any lab equipment that I may require? I'll probably just run vmware on my laptop for some server configurations when im not at work will that be more than adequate?

thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    70-640 is what most people go for first. Since you are in your first IT gig, this exam should be the one. I used the MS Press book for this exam, was ok. I supplemented it with Microsoft Technet, which is probably the best (and free) resource out there.

The iso files for Server 2008 were available on microsoft.com, perhaps you can still download them. Chuck them on a couple of VM's and you are set.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    Welcome to the (wonderful?) world of Microsoft certification. ;)

Head on over to the Microsoft Learning site and check out the different certification paths. Since you're going to be working with servers, check out the MCITP track. Server Administrator (SA) requires 3 exams, and Enterprise Administrator (EA) requires 5 exams. (You can score both certs for a total of 6 exams). You'll learn a lot in the process, and end up with a pretty well-rounded understanding of the MS technologies.

Having gone through the cert paths a time or two, I've remained pretty consistent with my approach. I use the MS Press books and included practice tests. Occasionally i'll add a second book, usually if it's a particularly hard subject. I'll use Transcender practice tests, although lately I find they aren't as great as they used to be. I'll get as much hands on as possible using a lab PC. VMs make this a heck of a lot more practical, since you can download Virtual Server for free, and install the MS OS's using 120 day eval licenses.

If you've never taken an MS exam before, you might want to start with one of the client exams, like 70-624 (Vista), or 70-680 (Win 7). I find the client exams a little less challenging than the server exams, and it's a good way to get familiar with the Microsoft exam experience. Either of these exams will count towards the MCITP: EA.

All the best!
    MCTS
    MCITP: SA & EA
    MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
    MCSA: 2000, 2003
  • Options
    hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    Thanks for the replies guys i appreciate it :)

Ive set up a server 2008 vmware image now so ill start using that, ive looked at the ms press books they seem to be abit on the steep side anyone used this one:

MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration Study Guide (Exam 70-640) (Paperback)
    by William Panek (Author), James Chellis (Author)

Is there a typical lab setup that you guys use? I have quite a powerful computer so i'll just do everything in vmware.
  • Options
    hodgey87 wrote: »
    ive looked at the ms press books they seem to be abit on the steep side
    In terms of cost? You can usually find used ones on Amazon. The MS kits have lab setup instructions, they'll tell you how many VMs you need for the book, how to config them, etc.
    MCTS
  • Options
    sjones10sjones10 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,

I am looking at getting started on my first MCP however i am unsure if i should start doing the 70-290 or kick in with 70-640. Microsoft appear to be having a big push with 64 bit computing at the moment with all there new releases so i am thinking the server 2008 exam will be more relevant than older server 2003. Can anyone give me some advise regarding this?

Stuarticon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Stuart, you should start your own thread and we'll help you out. Short answer though, I'd definitely recommend the MCITP track over the older MCSE track. With each passing day, W2K8 becomes more relevent, and W2K3 less so.
    MCTS
  • Options
    sjones10sjones10 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi dfosbenner,

Thanks for your advise. i will start a thread.

Stuart