Options

I'd like some advice on a new direction after getting CCNA...

Hey guys, I'll try and make this post as short as possible. I'm stuck in a real rut right now and would like some advice from people that may or may not have been in the same boat as me.

I received my CCNA in late August. Coupled with my A+ and Net+, along with 2-3 years experience administering my company network of about ten to fifteen users I thought that it would be a great time to start looking for a new job.

Needless to say, I haven't had much luck. I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. Due to my current income level, which isn't crazy, about $40,000 I can't afford to step down into a help desk role. And due to my small area of experience, i.e. working at a small company, I find that employers who work for bigger companies aren't interested.

I'm kind of down on myself and would like to know if you guys have any advice or would like to share your personal stories that are similar. My career desire has always been in the field of networking. That's why I attempted to get the CCNA, and although I have experience with Cisco devices in a lab and educational environment, my real-world experience is limited.

I don't have any specific questions, and am really looking for some encouragement/motivation...but this board has a bunch of awesome people that post to it and I'm sure I'll get some great feedback. Thanks!

If I need to clarify anything, just let me know...

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Unfortunately with limited network experience you're going to take a pay cut with a junior lvl job. One of the ISP's I worked for (nationwide) required 5yrs experience for their LAN group and 10yrs for the WAN group. The current ISP I work for required strong Cisco skills and a background in networking. Since I've taken this position I've gained volumes of information and knowledge in multiple platforms. But for me it was a step up so I got a slight pay raise.

Most people coming over the systems side take a pay cut because they don't know the networking side of the house. Just my .02.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    Keep studying! It's the only thing you have control on and can actually do. If you want to get to networking start studying for the CCNP.

I see that your certifications are all entry level.

I interviewed yesterday with a chief DBA from the second telco of my country. The guy told me CCNA was unlikely to do the trick for me, because it is already too common, not to mention too basic. He suggested me to get a lot of training on MS, Active Directory, Network infrastructure, Administration (he basically asked me to get the MCITP: SA) and also to learn a lot of Exchange 2007.

He also suggested CBTs and that kind of training without getting certified, because getting to certification level would prevent me from learning a lot of smaller things that are way more marketable. I understand his point. If I had been studying IIUC or CCNA just to learn the material and configurations, and not all the theory required to pass the exams, i would have studied a lot of other things. I might not have been as proficient as I am now in those technologies, but I would have more marketable knowledge of some other topics. He said that if I bought some trainsignal material and used it (i.e. AD configuration) I should list that training in my resume, because most those trainings are courses and most of the time they're from above average to excellent. That was a perspective I didnt have.

I am sure that if you start learning a lot of stuff through self study and some training and put all you have learned on the resume (even without certifications) it should start getting more attention.

I am going to keep at the CCNP but will also follow his advice and learn as many marketable things as I can (I can only think about microsoft and some linux right now). You sound like you need that too, with the difference that in the USA you dont have the problems we do here (CCNP have basically 5-6 companies to work for, maybe 4) and you could focus more into it if that is what you want, but i would seriously consider another options that could help you grow and break into new things.

Good luck.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Hello,

I would definitely recommend to continue studying. I passed my CCNA and I'm on to my CCNP studies. The CCNP will definitely show that you know your stuff more than the CCNA really, since it is the next step up and it is four tests instead one. It goes into more depth than the CCNA also. A lot of people are starting to get the CCNA and just having the CCNA to have it or to get a pay raise. I honestly got it because I liked learning all the theory behind it. This all goes back to the brain **** and junk that people memorize just to pass a certification to make more money. In addition, I would recommend even looking into a degree path, if you feel like going back to school. It will help substitute for some of the "work experience" needs. Have you thought about relocating? I work in Martinsburg, WV, and I make about 50. I work on a help desk and all the networking positions junior in this area within 30-50 miles are around $55,000 - $70,000. Depending on the company and location and experience most post with CCNA required. Some don't list any other preferred certifications and some do.
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    These are all great thoughts guys and I appreciate them very much. To address a couple of things...

-I'm not interested in relocating for a few reasons. I feel that the Norfolk, VA area is a hotbed of military, contracting and government jobs. I've been interested in getting a job in those industries for awhile.

-I do have an Associates degree in Information Systems Management from a technical school here. It's a little more focused than most Associates degrees, but the only bad thing is the credits don't transfer to a four year anniversary very well. I've called a few of the local universities and have checked so I'm between a rock and hard place on that one.

I'm very motivated to get out of this rut that I'm in and I really feel like I shouldn't give up on the networking side. I worked my @$$ off for my CCNA and feel like it shouldn't go to waste. I'm going to start mapping out a more direct plan in the next couple of weeks and really get working on it at the start of the new year. I have a vacation planned to Hawaii during Christmas (yes, you are jealous admit it) and there are a few things at work in the next month that are going to tie me up from studying.

I appreciate all your feedback again and I'll still be checking this in the next week or so if anybody want's to add anything...
  • Options
    abhustlerabhustler Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Speaking from experience (I started doing technical support for an ISP and I am now a network engineer) look for a NOC Analyst job. This is entry level networking job that will look great on resume, give you some much need experience, and will likely pay more than what you are making. When I was working technical support i made 17.25 a hour. After getting my CCNA I looked around I got a job as first tier NOC Analyst supporting cisco networks. I started at 23 dollars a hour and got some great hands on experience without being expected to know everything. The majority of my job was monitoring routers and switches and staging them for new customers. After putting in a year as an NOC Analyst and getting my CCNA Security and MCTS I landed a great job as a Level 1 Network engineer for 33 a hour. You seem to be following the same path I did and I'm sure it will work out for you if networking is really want you want to do. And as a side note, I was only 22 with four years IT experience when I became a network engineer so dont feel like you have to have a decade of experience to land your dream job.
    A master at anything was once a beginner
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    abhustler wrote: »
    Speaking from experience (I started doing technical support for an ISP and I am now a network engineer) look for a NOC Analyst job. This is entry level networking job that will look great on resume, give you some much need experience, and will likely pay more than what you are making. When I was working technical support i made 17.25 a hour. After getting my CCNA I looked around I got a job as first tier NOC Analyst supporting cisco networks. I started at 23 dollars a hour and got some great hands on experience without being expected to know everything. The majority of my job was monitoring routers and switches and staging them for new customers. After putting in a year as an NOC Analyst and getting my CCNA Security and MCTS I landed a great job as a Level 1 Network engineer for 33 a hour. You seem to be following the same path I did and I'm sure it will work out for you if networking is really want you want to do. And as a side note, I was only 22 with four years IT experience when I became a network engineer so dont feel like you have to have a decade of experience to land your dream job.

Abhustler, this is some really good stuff and I appreciate the input. If I'm looking online is there alias that companies use so I can search for those too? Or would NOC Analyst be my best bet to search for. Much appreciated though...
  • Options
    abhustlerabhustler Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Abhustler, this is some really good stuff and I appreciate the input. If I'm looking online is there alias that companies use so I can search for those too? Or would NOC Analyst be my best bet to search for. Much appreciated though...

Try looking for NOC, Network Monitoring, or Network Control. Here is one I found near your location that you should be a good canidate for.

Network Control Technician - Harris Corporation (AMR). (Portsmouth, Virginia) | A Mighty River
    A master at anything was once a beginner
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hey guys, I'll try and make this post as short as possible. I'm stuck in a real rut right now and would like some advice from people that may or may not have been in the same boat as me.

I received my CCNA in late August. Coupled with my A+ and Net+, along with 2-3 years experience administering my company network of about ten to fifteen users I thought that it would be a great time to start looking for a new job.

Needless to say, I haven't had much luck. I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. Due to my current income level, which isn't crazy, about $40,000 I can't afford to step down into a help desk role. And due to my small area of experience, i.e. working at a small company, I find that employers who work for bigger companies aren't interested.

I'm kind of down on myself and would like to know if you guys have any advice or would like to share your personal stories that are similar. My career desire has always been in the field of networking. That's why I attempted to get the CCNA, and although I have experience with Cisco devices in a lab and educational environment, my real-world experience is limited.

I don't have any specific questions, and am really looking for some encouragement/motivation...but this board has a bunch of awesome people that post to it and I'm sure I'll get some great feedback. Thanks!

If I need to clarify anything, just let me know...

You have to get a job in networking if you want a career in networking. If it's want you want to do then a drop in pay may be the only option. But a job you need. The market has matured over the last ten years with many technologies bedded in with timeserved networking professionals glued to them and generally a much more informed opinion about what they want not only from the technology but from the professionals involved in network support/build/team lead/platform management and design/architecture roles. Cisco isn't a new thing anymore so simply chasing more Cisco certs really isn't the answer. By way of an example when you look at jobs requiring CCIE, sometimes even CCIE is waived if the candidate's experience is really strong and often CCIE is just to tick a box it's the experience the recruiters are looking for and you only get that in the field. There are still some *emerging* areas that might get you a look in if you can pick them up. Wireless/IPT and MPLS are a good lever in as many companies are still a bit shallow on those skills.

But mainly, get a foot on the ladder and start putting some time in.

Good luck!
  • Options
    SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd disagree with the people who said to take a pay cut. At ~ 40k it would be pretty crazy financially to take a pay-cut, if anything you should always take a pay raise in ANY job or field. It is not unrealistic to make 50k-60k doing what you are doing if you work for a slightly larger company. (your mortgage wouldn't take a pay cut, why should you?) This especially holds true when you are already working, you can afford to look for pay raise.

I'd say re-locate may be the best realistic option if your current city doesn't pay the $ you want.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sepiraph wrote: »
    I'd disagree with the people who said to take a pay cut. At ~ 40k it would be pretty crazy financially to take a pay-cut, if anything you should always take a pay raise in ANY job or field. It is not unrealistic to make 50k-60k doing what you are doing if you work for a slightly larger company. (your mortgage wouldn't take a pay cut, why should you?) This especially holds true when you are already working, you can afford to look for pay raise.

I'd say re-locate may be the best realistic option if your current city doesn't pay the $ you want.

Why should a company pay more if you have less experience than what they are looking for?

And good luck relocating if you want more money especially if you own a house. Applying out of state most employers would rather hire a local than pay for relocation cost to bring an outsider especially somebody with very little experience. And if you are moving somewhere where you are paid more its usally due to the higher cost of living.

If anything the OP needs to bust his rear to get some contacts by attending conventions and joining some local networking groups to build his own personal network and build a reputation and develop his own personal "brand". (yeah there is a hint I am reading a "personal brand" book at the moment).

He needs to develop professional relationships to compensate for his lack of experience so somebody that likes him will more than likely over look the experience and give him his chance.