Options

Why I Love the Internet...

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am trying to learn web development and my plan for filling my portfolio is to do projects at work to make my life easier. Currently I am incharge of our VOIP system and part of my job is to run reports on phone usage by our sales people. Now when I say run, I really mean have the phone company run the reports. They e-mail them to me and I e-mail them out to the executives to review. Our phone company sends them in html format (it is my believe they use some form of PHP to generate the report). It imports nicely into Excel, but I don't bother doing that. So one of the projects I want to work on is making all that information searchable and allow the executives to run reports. Currently I get a monthly report with all the sales people, but my goal is to make it possible to run a report on a single sales person based on the information currently in the system. Then export it as an excel spreadsheet or pdf.

Now the second project I plan to work on involves a report I format everyday. Basically, it's a text file from our unix box delimited by | with backorders from the day before. I filter the data, then place each type on a different sheet, and then deleted the original data. It works out that I get about 10 sheets in the workbook and takes about 20 to 30 minutes of my morning to do. I also then take data from one sheet and place it in another workbook for analysis on that type of backorder for the month. Now my plan here is to automate that so I only have to place the text file on the server and then it will generate the report in html.

At this time I get to the point as to why I love the internet. As I've been working on this project I have thought about trying to make the html look (and perhaps function) like Excel. The executives just double click the file and don't know what it opens in anyway, but they will notice when it doesn't look like Excel. So I did some searching and I actually found some code to do exactly what I wanted!

dhtmlxGrid - Ajax-enabled DHTML grid with rich Javascript API

There are a couple of reasons I am doing this. One, because I need a way to build up my portfolio. But the other reason is the company isn't using the data it can to the fullest. Now I might run a back order report everyday, but they never compare the data beyond perhaps to the data for that week. I can see it being very useful for the company to say compare the number from this month to last month. The other thing is I know eventually, they will probably ask for a report from this certain week or certain day. How nice if I can setup a simple search that will pull the data automatically for them. No the big decision is whether I put the data in the MySQL, which I think I will have to do.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    slideoffslideoff Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Import the delimited file into Mysql. Once its in MySQL you are made.. Tons of scripts out there for manipulating and presenting the data.. definitely the way to go. PHPMyadmin will get you going for the admin side of things.
    "Jeez louise, I can't wait to get my MCSE and quit this job." - Nick Burns
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Gunshine state? Is that Arizona? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Keep us posted Grinch.

I took my spare time out this weekend (in between watching my extremely exciting S+ CBT Nuggets) to do some simple work with .htaccess to password protect parts of my site. Not very interesting, but useful to keep content hidden from public eye while testing on a live box....
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Gunshine state? Is that Arizona? icon_wink.gif

Betting that would be Florida, they have very liberal carry laws
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Betting that would be Florida, they have very liberal carry laws

What we have is one of the strictest background check requirements in the country for concealed carry. Our licenses go through both the state and federal checks before they issue a concealed carry license. The remainder of our gun laws are fairly nice as well. Definitely not as stupid as Mass, Commifornia or NJ and NY.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To import the textfile via phpmyadmin, do I have to make the database first? It isn't giving me the option to import a csv file just sql.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »
    Definitely not as stupid as Mass, Commifornia or NJ and NY.

They have guns in California? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    Not fair! I don't get certain sites at work. I can't see the pic!

Edit: (Now that I am home) That is hilarious!
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    phantasm wrote: »
    What we have is one of the strictest background check requirements in the country for concealed carry. Our licenses go through both the state and federal checks before they issue a concealed carry license. The remainder of our gun laws are fairly nice as well. Definitely not as stupid as Mass, Commifornia or NJ and NY.

So does Georgia. My background check went through the local Sheriff's Department, the GBI, and the FBI, and I had to submit to being fingerprinted, so if I screw up on *anything*, they know who I am. I don't have a choice but to be a good law abiding citizen now :)

And all of that just to be able to carry, period. Open carry requires a license.

We have a reciprocity agreement with Florida, so my license is good down there as well.. and the irony of it all is that another state gives me far more rights in regards to my sidearm as my home state.