Options

Types of Attacks on the Security+ test

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Are types of attacks going to be on the Security+ test? I have looked through the objectives but found nothing indicating specific attacks on it. On the other hand both of the books I am using include specific attacks.

Comments

• Options
    joe48184joe48184 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I sure hope so.. I'm using the practice test from Ucertify and it covers types of attacks and what tools are used to perform the attacks, both Windows and Linux. I'm sure its a bit over the top, but I'd rather have too much info than not enough. Now that I think about it, the sybex tests I got with the book and the review guide also had quetions about types of attacks.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Without a doubt, types of attacks will be included.

You can expect to see information on generic types of attacks such as DoS and DDoS, and specific types of attacks like the well known SYN Flood attack.

Attacks aren't labeled as attacks specifically in the objectives, but instead as threats in objective 1.1, and threats and mitigation techniques in objective 2.1.

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com

Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    Security+ Blog
    Security Plus: Get Certified Get Ahead

Security+ Tip of the Day
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson

Are types of attacks going to be on the Security+ test? I have looked through the objectives but found nothing indicating specific attacks on it. On the other hand both of the books I am using include specific attacks.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes and you will be asked in multiple ways.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    flav2000flav2000 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As Darril says, different kinds of attacks will be on the test.

Sec. 1.1 and 2.1 of the objectives are two of the important ones.

There are also a few related sections if you want to be thorough:

Section 1.2 talks about USB, cell phones and removable storage. These would be vectors of attack in relation to 1.1 and 2.1

Section 1.4 has ActiveX, Java, Scripting (CGI, Javascripts), Buffer overflows, and XSS. Web based attacks.

Otherwise, 2.5-2.7 are another few sections worth mentioning. 2.5 and 2.6 is quite self-explanatory (network protocol and physical network attacks). 2.7 (related to wireless) has war driving, bluejacking, bluesnarfing, rogue access points, etc.

Last but not least is section 6.6. Social engineering is always a favorite since it's the predominant vector of attack.
  • Options
  • Options
    abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    Good luck tommorow, let us know how you did.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Its pretty cool that we have an author of a cert book posting here at TE.

Good luck on the test, veritas.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Its pretty cool that we have an author of a cert book posting here at TE.

Good luck on the test, veritas.

Thanks Hyper-Me, I am scheduled for tomorrow at 2:00. I will post how it goes after I take it.

By the way, would you believe I work right above the testing center this week? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    By the way, would you believe I work right above the testing center this week? icon_wink.gif

LOL, thats cool! I live in the suburbs of chicago and still have to drive 30 min to take the test.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Good Luck!

Darril
    Thanks Hyper-Me, I am scheduled for tomorrow at 2:00. I will post how it goes after I take it.

• Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Good luck to you!
    I bring nothing useful to the table...