Options

Router with 100mbps FastEthernet

new2netnew2net Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all... I am looking for a router that I can use as my "router on a stick."

I want to get real hardware to study with. To do inter vlan routing I need a router that has an interface that is at least 100mbps (for the trunk), but I am not too familiar with hardware... Can anyone recommend something that is cheap and will do the trick? I assume it will be something from the 2600 lineup? I am trying to spend as little as possible (on a really tight budget for now).. I just have a 2501 Router as my main router right now.

Appreciate it!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If memory serves correct you can use a 1721 (the reason I have one). You could also go with any of the 2600xm routers which make good routers for CCNP if you decide to go after that one.
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    btowntech wrote: »
    If memory serves correct you can use a 1721 (the reason I have one). You could also go with any of the 2600xm routers which make good routers for CCNP if you decide to go after that one.

Yea, 1721s will do the trick. That's one of the routers I used for CCNA studies.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    As per the FAQ:

802.1Q encapsulation is now available on the built-in 10BaseT Ethernet interfaces of the Cisco 2610, 2611, and 2612 with Cisco IOS software 12.2(2)T and subsequent releases. Although this feature has been available on the Cisco 2600/3600 series since the release of Cisco IOS 12.1(5)T, support was previously limited to Fast Ethernet interfaces only. 802.1Q is not supported on any other Cisco 2600/3600 series 10BaseT Ethernet interface.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The 1721 will do Router On A Stick and SDM. Make sure it comes with the power brick and has 32 Megs of Flash. You can find "Buy It Now" 1721s with free shipping for $40.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The 1721 will do Router On A Stick and SDM. Make sure it comes with the power brick and has 32 Megs of Flash. You can find "Buy It Now" 1721s with free shipping for $40.

Agreed. Just through some wics in these bad boys and you are good. Very good price point as well. Just keep in mind that these routers are not rackable (very important if you are working in limited space). They are great little boxes and will run just able everything you need imo.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    1721s seem to be a well kept secret. I picked one up last week as an extra router on advice from Wendel Odum's blog for suggested CCNP routers ("802.1Q, runs 12.4T, supports IOS IPS with the right feature set, all the routing protocols") and they are nifty.

They are shelf/desk standing (which is annoying) but if you max out the two memorys you can get the bigger IOSes on them; they make no noise at all, have 1x10/100 port and 2 wic slots.

The real beauty of them though is that they are dirt cheap on ebay so I plan on picking up a couple more seeing as the last one cost £20 +£10 for delivery (about $50 all in).
    Kam.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the replies. This 1721 seems awesome! Does so many things! Looking for one on eBay now :) That was also a great comparison matrix on the 2600s from the RouterGod site posted above.

Would anyone have a similar matrix for the 2600XM series? I'd like to bookmark it for later on when I want to buy one (I know I will need clarification on the XM models later on).
  • Options
    new2net wrote: »
    Would anyone have a similar matrix for the 2600XM series? I'd like to bookmark it for later on when I want to buy one (I know I will need clarification on the XM models later on).

MGeorge posted a little while back that he is working on a site that already has some nice charts of different models that are usefull when looking what to buy on ebay, including the XMs. Doesn't have pictures of Liz Hurley on it I admit although that might be a good thing as I am going to need a cold shower after that "Liz sometimes gets washed up on the beach in just her panties...."

Check out the site he's working on here and scroll down the page.

Free CCNA Lab Workbook Lab 1-1 – Understanding Router Components and Accessories
    Kam.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    MGeorge posted a little while back that he is working on a site that already has some nice charts of different models that are usefull when looking what to buy on ebay, including the XMs. Doesn't have pictures of Liz Hurley on it I admit although that might be a good thing as I am going to need a cold shower after that "Liz sometimes gets washed up on the beach in just her panties...."

Check out the site he's working on here and scroll down the page.

Free CCNA Lab Workbook Lab 1-1 – Understanding Router Components and Accessories

Awesome site!!!! Thanks a million!!!! Really lays things out nice and helps when on eBay!

Just wondering though... I know what WIC slots are... but what are NM's and AIM's...?

Doesn't have pictures of Liz Hurley on it I admit although that might be a good thing as I am going to need a cold shower after that "Liz sometimes gets washed up on the beach in just her panties...."

LLLOLLL icon_biggrin.gif!!!!
  • Options
    new2net wrote: »
    Awesome site!!!! Thanks a million!!!! Really lays things out nice and helps when on eBay!

Just wondering though... I know what WIC slots are... but what are NM's and AIM's...?

These are the wider slots you see that look like air vents but are actually usable and used to house Network Modules and Advanced Integration Modules. I don't know the difference between NM and AIM but the main point with these typically is that they have their own on board processor to offload that card's work from the router's main processor rather than just simply providing an extra interface. They are also typically more expensive depending on the card obviously. Search on cisco/ebay for "Cisco NM".

A good example of an NM are the NM-1E2W (ebay $20) which gives a 10mb ethernet port and 2 extra wic slots, the NM-8AS (ebay $75) which gives 8 serial db-60 ports , the NM-1A-E3 (ebay $750) which gives an ATM port and the NM-4B-S/T (ebay $30) which gives 4 ISDN bri ports.
    Kam.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    A good example of an NM are the NM-1E2W (ebay $20) which gives a 10mb ethernet port and 2 extra wic slots
    Be aware that the combo NMs do not work at all in a 2600/2600XM.
  • Options

A good example of an NM are the NM-1E2W (ebay $20) which gives a 10mb ethernet port and 2 extra wic slots, the NM-8AS (ebay $75) which gives 8 serial db-60 ports , the NM-1A-E3 (ebay $750) which gives an ATM port and the NM-4B-S/T (ebay $30) which gives 4 ISDN bri ports.

So how can I use it...?
    For example... I am looking at a 2600xm router description that says it comes with a NM-4E.

Does that mean the router will have 4 Ethernet Ports?
    If so...are the 4 Ethernet Ports going to allow me to connect 4 separate networks (e.g 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.2.0/24, 192.168.3.0/24, 192.168.4.0/24)

OR

Will the NM-4E act as a switch that is just stuck inside the NM slot? This will allow me to plug in 4 devices which are all on the same subnet.

Never used a router with a NM-4E and don't really know how they function.

Thanks!
  • Options
    If you check out the cisco page on the 2600xm (various models) they are compatable with the nm-4e which acts like 4 ethernet ports (10mb) (not Fast Ethernet ports 100mb) which you can config as you normally would. It isn't a switch module like the NM-ESW-16 16 port switch nm.

When it boots, you should see the Ethernet ports in the show version. When configing you may see either Fa0/0, FA0/1, Fa0/2, etc. OR Fa0/0, Fa1/0, Fa1/1, Fa1/2, Fa1/3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html
    Kam.
  • Options
    So I am getting the 1721 soon!

Just wondering, what do I need so that I can connect the 1721 to my 2501 on its Serial interface. Of course I need a dce/dte db60 cable, but what type of WIC card to I need for the 1721? Is it a WIC1T?

I know I could also connect the 1721 to the 2501s transceiver with a crossover cable, but I wanted to connect to the 2501 on the serial port.
  • Options
  • Options
    And what if i wanted to use it as my home router (just to see how it all works). What type of WIC card would I use then? At home I am using Cable with a Linksys Router. I assume I need a WIC card that will take an RJ45?
  • Options
    Depends on how you want to connect everything. The 1721 has a FE interface natively, so you could buy a WIC-1ENET to plug the modem into, then run the FE to a switch.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can just use the one ethernet port and run it to the switch. Then you can use sub interfaces for you external and internal networks. That will save you from having to buy a WIC.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.