Options

Had a horrible first day at my new job

Well I started my new job today and I never started a new job and disliked it so much.

First there was two people off on training and another one off sick. I was basically just put on a desk and left my own for the whole day answering the phone. If it had been Microsoft or well known products I would of been fine however it was just supporting their corporate systems. I had people phoning to tell me there roof tiles had fallen off and was expected to log this stuff.

I glad it is only part time so it gives my chance to get my certification and look for another job. I won't leave it until I found another job but I can't stay there.

When I first start a new job I want to enjoy it however I couldn't wait until I could go home which is bad thing to feel on the first day. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thomas130 wrote: »
    Well I started my new job today and I never started a new job and disliked it so much.

First there was two people off on training and another one off sick. I was basically just put on a desk and left my own for the whole day answering the phone. If it had been Microsoft or well known products I would of been fine however it was just supporting their corporate systems. I had people phoning to tell me there roof tiles had fallen off and was expected to log this stuff.

I glad it is only part time so it gives my chance to get my certification and look for another job. I won't leave it until I found another job but I can't stay there.

When I first start a new job I want to enjoy it however I couldn't wait until I could go home which is bad thing to feel on the first day. icon_sad.gif

I hope your coming days are better. I hated my first week on the current job I have. I wouldn't say I love the job I have right now but it has drastically improved.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That is part of work anyways, I don't think I have ever had a "perfect" first day at a new job. I am on my third week at my new job and I am still using a loaner laptop because they had to get approval first for my new machine because my manager ordered me one that cost way more than the normal issue machines, plus the dual monitors had to get approval first so the paper work sat for the first week.

HR messed up and half of them said I was starting this week and half of them sent word out that I was starting last week so half of my administrative stuff is done, still no time card access but benefits started. When I showed up last week my department was like "uh we thought you were supposed to start next week?" so I had to sit in an empty cubicle lol.

Then I got all kinds of tasks thrown at me with very little guidance and just told to "do my best and relax", I was like in my head going "uh **** I need this job I dont want to screw up".
  • Options
    t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    Hope it gets better for you.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

It could be worse, you could be heading home convinced that your new boss is an ******* after expecting you to sort the whole shop out. That's what I had after 3 days in my first job back in 1997 and I had no experience in Novell to speak of. Come to think of it, neither did he the idiot. First day blues are not uncommon. If things are loose there thats a good thing, it gives you time to settle in. Just keep busy for a few weeks, pay attention to anything you are asked to do and report back fairly regularly with positive updates. Main thing is to keep out of trouble. Two weeks later things will be a little better. Keep smiling too, its difficult at times but stay positive because as a new boy people will be watching you and forming impressions quickly. Crappy I know, but that's the world of work.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The first week usually sucks while you try to get used to things. Leaving you alone to answer the phones your first day is pretty bad though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    dont judge it so hastily. you dont even know your co-workers yet.
  • Options
    CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□

Get familiar with it. You'll be doing it for the next 30 years. :)
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • Options
    Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It can only get better right?!

My 1st day I spent the morning with HR filling out paper work then I was shown an empty office and was told "here you go". No desk, chair, not even a phone! I had to hunt and "borrow" what I could. It was mid way through my 2nd day before I even spoke with my manager...
    WIP: 70-647 (5%)
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tin_Man wrote: »
    It can only get better right?!

My 1st day I spent the morning with HR filling out paper work then I was shown an empty office and was told "here you go". No desk, chair, not even a phone! I had to hunt and "borrow" what I could. It was mid way through my 2nd day before I even spoke with my manager...

That's pretty awesome.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    I had people phoning to tell me there roof tiles had fallen off and was expected to log this stuff.

our company support the software used at gas stations ...our guys once got a call from a gas station that the toilet isn't flushing !! no kidding icon_lol.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    I keep smiling I haven’t told I don't like I basically lie when asked. The only thing I have said is that it very hard for people to ask what to do with corporate system when nobody has shown me.

It just makes me look like an idiot but I also feel bad for the user because I keep them waiting for ages to get them problems fix. It's not like I can't think for myself but with corporate systems it's not like I can Google the problem.

The good news today is my last day for this week I made some arrangements trying to get interviews for some other jobs. Hopefully I won't be there long but from past mistakes I won't let anyone know I am unhappy and don't want to stay.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There isn't anyone you can ask for some help? Quick orientation on the software? Bring up your concern to your supervisor? Anything?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    That's pretty awesome.

I was actually thinking the same thing icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    sdyesssdyess Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    our company support the software used at gas stations ...our guys once got a call from a gas station that the toilet isn't flushing !! no kidding icon_lol.gif

If you are located in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, I used to work for that same company. I did receive calls like that as well
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    There isn't anyone you can ask for some help? Quick orientation on the software? Bring up your concern to your supervisor? Anything?

I agree with this, you should bring this up to someone. If you pretend things are going well, they will likely leave you in your own misery. Starting out looking for something else and basically making it sound like you've thrown in the towel and are just going to stick it out so you have a job isn't going to help you any. You're better off communicating your concerns, you may just be surprised how much it helps you.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    sdyess wrote: »
    If you are located in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, I used to work for that same company. I did receive calls like that as well

no, I'm another part of the world...but good to know there's a pattern ! icon_lol.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    Tin_Man wrote:
    No desk, chair, not even a phone! I had to hunt and "borrow" what I could.

This was so funny... gives a new meaning to "corporate survival mode"...
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had one job where I sat there all day reading the same HR Manual because the manager did not know what to do. He was a real useless manager. I was there for 8 months and went into a better job. My manager that I have now is great guy and actually has a great clue. He has move up fast and the company. He is fair and to the point.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I agree with this, you should bring this up to someone. If you pretend things are going well, they will likely leave you in your own misery. Starting out looking for something else and basically making it sound like you've thrown in the towel and are just going to stick it out so you have a job isn't going to help you any. You're better off communicating your concerns, you may just be surprised how much it helps you.
    +1...the first few days at a new job can suck because you feel so helpless, but unless you let someone know that you NEED help they'll assume you're ok and that someone else has already brought you up to speed. This may be a great place to work, but you might have caught them on an off week, or perhaps they're just disorganized. Take it upon yourself to go and ask for training and how-to's, or ask if there is a "sandbox" version of the software you're expected to support (or at the very least some test jobs you can play around with) so you can do some self-training.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion