Just getting into Webste design!!!! some questions...

94jedi94jedi Member Posts: 177
Ok, so first off, I'm a Network Admin by trade but I've always wanted to pick up some knowledge in the graphic/design realm. I used to draw a lot when I was a kid and even briefly majored in Architectural design but it's been at least 10 years since I've drawn anything, by hand or computer. Recently, I've gotten into the photography hobby which of course led to me to photoshop. Based on that, I have this desire to get more into graphic design, and later on, web design. Fast forward to today - a friend of mine owns a small business and want me to do a simple website for him by March-ish. I told him that I'm below novice but will to take on the project and he is willing to pay for my time. Obviously, i can't charge what even a beginner would charge so it will likely not be a money making job. This is simply to get my feet wet. So what I'm looking for is a bit of a crash course in website design. I need to learn, and fast. Also, I need to figure out how to charge...since I'm still a newb, I'll most likely just make it a small flat fee.

Do you guys know of a website or anything other than aimless "googling" I can do to quickly learn about web-design? I know this sounds like a very broad request so forgive me for that.

Any help or general direction would be a great help.
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow, that's a pretty tall order. You're going to want to do the layout in Photoshop and then slice it up.

Something like this maybe: Design a Website In Photoshop [Software Tutorials]

This is a great HTML/CSS/JS/etc. resource: W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
  • 94jedi94jedi Member Posts: 177
    dynamik wrote: »
    Wow, that's a pretty tall order. You're going to want to do the layout in Photoshop and then slice it up.

Something like this maybe: Design a Website In Photoshop [Software Tutorials]

This is a great HTML/CSS/JS/etc. resource: W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

Thanks much, I'll check those links out tonight. I have CS4 Master Coll. so I have access to a few different programs. I have minimal photoshop knowledge but that is probably my best shot at it. I know it's a tall order but I figure it will help me learn things faster if it's a paying job.

I'm also looking at taking some online classes. Maybe someone can suggest something for that?
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would say that before you jump in and create a finished product, sit down with your "client" and set up expectations, what content he/she would like to see, where or how prominent they would like it to be, and maybe bring to him/her a few basic layout templates to see what appeals to them. In web design 100% of the focus needs to be on making sure that the client is getting what they expect. Its a "word of mouth" business and you want great references when you're first starting out.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I would say that before you jump in and create a finished product, sit down with your "client" and set up expectations, what content he/she would like to see, where or how prominent they would like it to be, and maybe bring to him/her a few basic layout templates to see what appeals to them. In web design 100% of the focus needs to be on making sure that the client is getting what they expect. Its a "word of mouth" business and you want great references when you're first starting out.

definitely good points.

I plan on sitting down with them (My pal and his dad are the clients), bringing my sketch pad and note pad and talking it out and make sure they get what they want. Then I plan to maybe set some dates to have some checkpoints for progress so they can see what I've done. They can see the progress and make adjustments as they/we see fit. Then a final ETA.

If overall, it's too much for me, I know a few people I can comfortably pass them on to.

I'm hoping I can handle it though and from the preliminary talks we've had, it looks like they just want something simple...a few pages, the typical, home/products/about us/contact us etc. I think I can handle that. If they want an orderform or merchant account online, I'd have to link them to paypal or something because obviously I couldn't learn to do an order processing page in the given time frame.
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    94jedi wrote: »
    If they want an orderform or merchant account online, I'd have to link them to paypal or something because obviously I couldn't learn to do an order processing page in the given time frame.

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. You can purchase these types of pre-built forms for a minimal amount of money and just direct-bill that to the client.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. You can purchase these types of pre-built forms for a minimal amount of money and just direct-bill that to the client.

interesting idea...I might have to look into that if that's what they want.
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also consider learning how to Theme something like WordPress. Static sites are becoming a thing of the past.