Options

Static IP's

Dynamic IP's come from DHCP servers.

Where do Static IP's come from? What Server contains them?

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

A static IP address is assigned by you to a device or computer. A dynamic IP address is given to a device or computer via a DHCP server.

What is static IP address/dynamic IP address? - Definition from Whatis.com - see also: static IP address, dynamic IP address

IP address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Options
    DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    thank you for that. Now I guess the misunderstanding is my question is a little more technical than that.

I know what a static IP address is. It sticks "stays". It says in that link that Static IP's come from the ISP.

Where is the "static ip" coming from? Is it a manually assigned ip from a DHCP Server?
    where does this static ip come into existence?

Dynamic IP's come from your ISP too. They come from your ISP's DHCP Server. But what about Static Ip's?
  • Options
    This is what I found on wikipedia..which is kind of confusing..
    But I figured Static IP's are coming from DHCP Servers, just that the only difference is that they "STAY" as opposed to being temporary. Plz at least read the bolded text below.

From WIKIPEDIA:
    Static and dynamic IP addresses
    When a computer is configured to use the same IP address each time it powers up, this is known as a Static IP address. In contrast, in situations when the computer's IP address is assigned automatically, it is known as a Dynamic IP address.

[edit] Method of assignment
    Static IP addresses are manually assigned to a computer by an administrator. The exact procedure varies according to platform. This contrasts with dynamic IP addresses, which are assigned either by the computer interface or host software itself, as in Zeroconf, or assigned by a server using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). Even though IP addresses assigned using DHCP may stay the same for long periods of time, they can generally change. In some cases, a network administrator may implement dynamically assigned static IP addresses. In this case, a DHCP server is used, but it is specifically configured to always assign the same IP address to a particular computer. This allows static IP addresses to be configured centrally, without having to specifically configure each computer on the network in a manual procedure.

In the absence or failure of static or stateful (DHCP) address configurations, an operating system may assign an IP address to a network interface using state-less autoconfiguration methods, such as Zeroconf.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From WIKIPEDIA:
    Static and dynamic IP addresses
    When a computer is configured to use the same IP address each time it powers up, this is known as a Static IP address. In contrast, in situations when the computer's IP address is assigned automatically, it is known as a Dynamic IP address.

[edit] Method of assignment
    Static IP addresses are manually assigned to a computer by an administrator. The exact procedure varies according to platform. This contrasts with dynamic IP addresses, which are assigned either by the computer interface or host software itself, as in Zeroconf, or assigned by a server using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). Even though IP addresses assigned using DHCP may stay the same for long periods of time, they can generally change. In some cases, a network administrator may implement dynamically assigned static IP addresses. In this case, a DHCP server is used, but it is specifically configured to always assign the same IP address to a particular computer. This allows static IP addresses to be configured centrally, without having to specifically configure each computer on the network in a manual procedure.

In the absence or failure of static or stateful (DHCP) address configurations, an operating system may assign an IP address to a network interface using state-less autoconfiguration methods, such as Zeroconf.

On my network I have it set up that a certain box always get a certain ip address based its mac address. I also have a machine that I staticly set on the machine (using the OS). So that machine knows to have a certain ip address, look at a certain gateway, and use certain dns server(s).
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

SHCP servers, obviously.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Two ways:
    1. Go into the Network Properties on a Server itself and give it an IP Address. This provides a static ip address which doesn't change.
    2. Go into DHCP and take the MAC Address of the machine's NIC and give it a static ip to MAC address relationship. Then when the machine does a DHCP request, the DHCP server will see that it's coming from a specific MAC address that has a MAC to IP relationship and the DHCP server will provide it with that specific IP.

You'll usually see method #1 being used. With this method, it's important to have an IP range dedicated to static IP addresses and exclude that range from DHCP handouts. You should then have a list such as an excel sheet with what IPs are currently being used out of your static range.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    SHCP servers, obviously.

no such thing.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    One is assigned by you, directly to the machine. One is assigned by a server through a request/response negotiation on the network.

You can also have your DHCP server always assign a certain IP address to a certain MAC address.

In 2008 R2, you can now block MAC addresses from ever getting a lease.
  • Options
    The part about coming from the ISP refers to the fact that in most cases the user must go to their ISP and request some IP addresses. The user then statically assigns them as needed
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    no such thing.

Derek,

You will just have to get use to Dynamik icon_wink.gif

He is like an annoying little brother icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    One is assigned by you, directly to the machine. One is assigned by a server through a request/response negotiation on the network.

You can also have your DHCP server always assign a certain IP address to a certain MAC address.

In 2008 R2, you can now block MAC addresses from ever getting a lease.

So when you request the IP, is the IP coming from you ISP's DHCP Server? Where is the Static IP coming from? Everyone has the answer where a dynamic IP comes from, but where is the Static IP coming from? Is someone just making it up and saying.. here ya go, use this and configure into your TCP/IP Settings.???

Seriously, now if it is a manually configured IP that is from a DHCP Server, this makes sense. but nothing is clear about this..

I appreciate all the response on this, but the answer to this question should be short and sweet. I'm not looking for an elaborate detailed answer. Just where is the Static IP Reside at before it gets assigned to me?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So when you request the IP, is the IP coming from you ISP's DHCP Server? Where is the Static IP coming from? Everyone has the answer where a dynamic IP comes from, but where is the Static IP coming from? Is someone just making it up and saying.. here ya go, use this and configure into your TCP/IP Settings.???

Seriously, now if it is a manually configured IP that is from a DHCP Server, this makes sense. but nothing is clear about this..

I appreciate all the response on this, but the answer to this question should be short and sweet. I'm not looking for an elaborate detailed answer. Just where is the Static IP Reside at before it gets assigned to me?

This is where they come from IANA — Internet Assigned Numbers Authority

Then they go to your ISP

Then they go to you

any questions?

And if you want short and sweet answers quit asking these broad questions. Seriously I am not trying to be rude but sometimes the answer isn't 42.
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    knwminus is right... well.. a simple but detailed explanation is this:

Registered Static IP:
    IANA assigned each ISP the corresponding registered IP address for distribution. Then, since most company are hosting registered static IP address, ISP will assign this through reservation by MAC address in thier DHCP server. The companies administrator will configure the static IP address in the router or firewall as an external address.

Unregistered Static IP:
    From the pool of your private IP address (scope that you use), you can assign/configure a static IP address through your LAN TCP/IP settings (be sure this is not included in the DHCP address lease or else..) or you can reserved the IP address in your internal DHCP server through the MAC address of the concerned workstation.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just to add to knwminus's post. The address space used is defined by the IP v. 4 protocol. The Protocol specifications define which addresses are public and can be assigned by the IANA and which are private and can be used on a private network.

Look at Addressing in IPv4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The IANA assigns the public addresses and tracks who the public addresses are assigned to. That is the "master record" of public IP addresses.