Any1 know of a good wireless adapter with and external antenna?

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
I love getting free internet off some1's wifi connection (don't know who it belongs to) but sometimes the connection can be erratic and slow. I've heard about wireless adapters that come with external antennas which may improve my connection stability and speed. Any suggestions?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your free internet may allow someone else to get much more free stuff after they steal all your personal information icon_lol.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    Your free internet may allow someone else to get much more free stuff after they steal all your personal information icon_lol.gif

@ Dynamik: Yeah, I read I nice article about that on 2600: The Hacker Quarterly last year. (I think they used Ubuntu?) icon_wink.gif

@ Exampasser: I think it's best that you to tell your neighbor that he or she has an unsecure wi-fi connection. It's wrong to exploit a neighbors bandwidth.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    [QUOTE=veritas_libertas;357064
    @ Exampasser: I think it's best that you to tell your neighbor that he or she has an unsecure wi-fi connection. It's wrong to exploit a neighbors bandwidth.[/QUOTE]
    Where I live we only have embarq and roadrunner which both blow, so I don't feel like paying around $30/month for internet access. I know that some people feel that it's wrong to use someone's bandwith, but all I'm doing mostly is cheking my email and such.
    dynamik wrote: »

Fortunately I do have file and folder sharing turned off and I always have my av software and firewall turned on. I also log onto their router and check the logs to make sure nothing suspicious is going on.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't feel like paying for food so I'm just going to start eating my neighbors from now on. Its only a few bytes here and there. I'm sure they won't mind.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I don't feel like paying for food so I'm just going to start eating my neighbors from now on. Its only a few bytes here and there. I'm sure they won't mind.
    It's more like some1's light shinning into my yard, so there's no point in turning on my own light.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    exampasser wrote: »
    It's more like some1's light shinning into my yard, so there's no point in turning on my own light.

More like you're a cheapskate abusing your neighbours lack of IT knowledge :p
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I know there's some states were it is illegal and folks have been prosecuted.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Except no one is paying for the use of the Sun. icon_wink.gif

I would seriously get ticked off if my bandwidth dropped from someone else stealing it!
    Except no one is paying for the use of the Sun. icon_wink.gif
    Sorry I did not clarify. I meant some1's outdoor light fixture at night, I was not reffering to sunlight.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know of some excellent high power wireless adapters with RP-SMA connections to attach your own antenna to. I use one with Backtrack and it works great.

But I guess I don't support the idea of theft of service regardless of how you manage to justify it as ok (you are stealing), so I'll choose to let you do your own legwork on how to more reliably break the law.
    I know of some excellent high power wireless adapters with RP-SMA connections to attach your own antenna to. I use one with Backtrack and it works great.
    Thanks for the info. I just found a few online with RP-SMA connections.
    I found a good website for long range wifi:
    http://www.jefatech.com/
    They even adversite kits for wardriving lol(allthough I do not plan to do that).
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Fortunately I do have file and folder sharing turned off and I always have my av software and firewall turned on. I also log onto their router and check the logs to make sure nothing suspicious is going on.

What about all your web traffic!? Are you logging into web mail, Facebook, etc.? Do you use the same email at PayPal?

Even if they don't know how to do anything malicious, what about others sniffing the traffic?

As others have mentioned, there are ethical issues as well. Your light analogy doesn't work because you're not just receiving the traffic. You're technically going in through their equipment without permission. In essence, trespassing. Not to mention, if you do anything illegal, the blame falls on them and they're burdened with dealing with that.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think this thread should be closed. Illegal activities such as pirating/stealing Wi-Fi/etc. should not be discussed here, IMO. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I think discussing it is healthy when it's pointed out that there is absolutely no way to morally or ethically justify doing what the OP is doing.

What about if your computer is infected with something, and it ends up infecting your neighbor's computer because you're on the same network.

What if your machine gets hacked and is doing stuff you don't even know about, and then your neighbor gets blamed because of something your machine did.

I'm sorry, but absolutely no justification for doing this. And no, your sucky ISP not being fast enough for you to want to spend the money is absolutely not a valid, ethical reason.

He should be the one deciding if it's okay, along with the ISP since they're providing the service, not you.
    Good luck to all!
This discussion has been closed.