Working on clients home computers

t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
Do any of you do work for your clients outside of work? Do you charge a certain per hr rate or just a one flat rate per job. I notice a lot of people at the company I work for always try to come to me to do work for them on their home machines.

It doesn't hurt to make a little money on the side. I didnt sign any waivers saying I cant work on their computers, so to me it is ethical.

Thanks in advance.
Knowledge is Power.

Comments

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I checked with my employer first just to ensure there were no issues with me doing so, but I bill $60 hourly for work on any co-workers home computers. The only thing I need to sidestep around is not allowing the co-worker to bring the machine into the facility with them, I just meet them in the parking lot and load it in my car - just to ensure to my employer that the computer is not being connected to our network or being worked on during company time. I would still advise checking with your employer even though you might not have explicitly signed anything stating you would not do this.

From there on out, I make no exceptions and offer minimal advice and press to have them secure me for $60 an hour. Works well keeping people unwilling to pay you for your time from trying to scour free info from you.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    At my previous job, I had a "you can do it, but they can't bring their computers inside the building" policy like mstein. I used to do a lot of side work for people. Even worked on the mayor's computer. At my current job, I have a lot of freedom based on my location. I work on people's computers right in my office and don't get bothered about it.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    Thanks for the advice. I will definitely talk to my boss first. Last thing I want is to jeopardise my job. Thanks.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Can't do it with my job, I have to direct them to go through my employer. The few times we've actually done any work for these people though has been a nightmare. I would think carefully about whether the bit of extra cash is worth the headache. It's been mostly arguments over bills, or other things coincidently breaking at the same time (usually user error i.e. sending e-mail to the incorrect address) and getting blamed for it. As recommended earlier, check with your employer first!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    I would also add that even once you get the go-ahead from your employer, make the exchange in the parking lot. There's no need to risk giving the impression that you're running a side business on company time.