Options

EIGRP topology change

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
In reference to the question below from Boson ICND2, isn't A also a viable answer?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Seeing as EIGRP uses triggered updates and only sends those updates when a topology change occurs I'd say yes. Is there an explanation why A is not correct also?

EDIT: I guess if a links metric were to change it would send an update. Maybe that isn't being considered a topology change here? I'd consider it a topology change personally.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    Hi,

You are in track, hold timer in EIGRP is 15 sec but the question is:
    Which of the following statements can you prove based on the output information

For me E is the right one.
  • Options
    elegua wrote: »
    Hi,

You are in track, hold timer in EIGRP is 15 sec but the question is:
    Which of the following statements can you prove based on the output information

For me E is the right one.

Hold timer is for hellos not updates.

Stupid question though really. I guess you wouldn't know that updates are only sent for topology changes by looking only at the out put shown.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I guess you wouldn't know that updates are only sent for topology changes by looking only at the out put shown.

How would you? Where is it listed under sh ip pro?
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    How would you? Where is it listed under sh ip pro?

It doesn't show under show ip protocols and don't think there is any command to show that. I guess that is why A is not correct.
  • Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    Hold timer is for hellos not updates.

Stupid question though really. I guess you wouldn't know that updates are only sent for topology changes by looking only at the out put shown.

Hi networker050184,

Sorry about that, i didn't explain myself before, What i was trying to say is that updates are not send every 15 sec, only when topology change, A didn't make sense to me after read the question twice, that is why i choose E, also i remembered when i was studying for ccna i watched train-signal (eigrp part) and Chris was explaining the same output, he talked about few things and mentioned Automatic Network Summarization is in Effect, he said something like, if you see that line in the show ip protocols means that the router is doing summarization.

Ok, i just confirmed this, i watched that part again and yes, he did talk about that line.
  • Options
    I totally agree E is correct, I just think that they should leave off A as a choice if its not going to be correct also. Although I think what the question is really trying to get at is what can you tell from ONLY looking at the output of show ip protocols. You can't figure out why or when an update would be sent just by looking at that output. I'm probably just reading too much into the question.
    elegua wrote:
    What i was trying to say is that updates are not send every 15 sec, only when topology change

That is exactly what I'm saying also. So no matter when an update is sent/recieved (whether it is in the next 1, 15 or 1000 seconds) it means there was a change in the topology.