Options

70-290 help - browsing to domain from client

ecummingsecummings Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi - I'm a bit of a novice to server 2003 and was looking for a bit of help. I've got a Windows 2003 server configured and an XP client machine which has joined the domain. I'm trying to add a domain account to the local administrators group on the local machine. I've opened the Administrator group and selected Add - the location is set to the local machine. I've hit Locations to browse to the domain but there is no other option to select from - just the local machine. The client machine has joined the domain and can access shared resources. Why can I not browse to the domain?

Any help gratefully received.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    1. Make sure your a member of the domain and logged in.
    2. Add new user - type in the username & domain
    3. Or you can choose browse - Advanced & FIND. Find will pull everyone in every domain, choose your user and NEXT.
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    when adding the user, instead of browsing the domain, type in

DOMAIN\username

If the domain controller cannot be contacted then your error lies elsewhere (is the computer physically connected to the domain... perhaps this is a connectivity issue...)
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    I've tried typing in domain\username but this doesn't work either. The issue doesn't appear to be connectivity as I can ping the server from the client, access shared network resources, etc but can't change the location from the local machine to the domain. Any other suggestions?
    thanks
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Well, let's roll back a bit.. since you said you joined the machine to the domain, how did you do this? I only ask because you say you are a novice... joining to the domain is more than just the physical connection.

To join to the domain, go to system properties->computer name->and click on Change.

Set the machine to a Member of Domain and enter the domain name. The client will contact the domain controller which will then kick back a dialog asking for credentials of an account that has permission to join the client to the domain. Enter your a domain admin name and password and an account will be created on the server. Once this is done you can reboot and find the domain in the drop down list.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    Hi - That's what I did - system properties->computer name->clicked on Change, got prompted for credentials of an account that has permission to join the domain, entered these, got the welcome to the domain blurb, rebooted, selected the domain from the drop down list and logged in. Can browse to the server from My Network Places\Entire Network, etc and can access shared resources, ping the server etc. However still can't change the Location to the domain when adding users to groups. It's driving me nuts.... any help appreciated.
    thanks
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What dns address is asigned to the client?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Not sure what you mean - the client doesn't have a dns address - it's dhcp enabled - there's no listing for dns when I do an ipconfig /all.
  • Options
    sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ecummings wrote:
    Not sure what you mean - the client doesn't have a dns address - it's dhcp enabled - there's no listing for dns when I do an ipconfig /all.

thats your problem.

Any client of a domain needs to have its DNS point to your DNS servers.

You will have a DNS server created when you make a domain controller.
    So I dont know what your DHCP server is, but it needs to tell your clients to point to your Domain controller for DNS responses.

Then you need to change your DNS servers settings - make its IP settings have the DNS point to itself. Then in the actual DNS settings you tell it to enable forwarders. Here you put in where to resolve DNS requests it doesnt know about (i.e. things outside your domain) and have it point to your ISP dns addresses.
  • Options
    Could you give me some advice about how to go about making these changes? The machine I have configured with server 2003 is a domain controller, DHCP server & DNS server. The DHCP server has an IP of 192.168.0.1 and the it is configured with a scope of 192.168.0.10 to 254 (the client machine has an address in this scope) - I don't know how to get it to tell the clients to point to the DC for DNS responses. I presumed it was working OK since the client machine is getting an IP address. Don't know how to configure the DNS server settings either - I wasn't going to bother enabling forwarders at this stage as it's just a test machine and won't be connecting to the internet. Any help much appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    zlh081zlh081 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ecummings wrote:
    Could you give me some advice about how to go about making these changes? The machine I have configured with server 2003 is a domain controller, DHCP server & DNS server. The DHCP server has an IP of 192.168.0.1 and the it is configured with a scope of 192.168.0.10 to 254 (the client machine has an address in this scope) - I don't know how to get it to tell the clients to point to the DC for DNS responses. I presumed it was working OK since the client machine is getting an IP address. Don't know how to configure the DNS server settings either - I wasn't going to bother enabling forwarders at this stage as it's just a test machine and won't be connecting to the internet. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Check the Dns server ip address value with ipconfig command at your server(that include DNS, AD and DHCP) and your xp client also.if not work rejoin to domain and check the policy,services and firewall settings.