rant - ish (long sorry)

laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
Ok so there's a bit of internal politics going on at work, which I'm keeping well and truly out of. However I'm being used as a pawn which is fun lol

Quick bit of background here, in that trying to get any training from my boss is pretty much impossible, despite various bargaining offers etc. And yes I know he has the budget for it, but he spends it on getting consultants in rather than training his existing staff. But that's a whole different rant.

Now the information governance team here have requested a technical bod from the IT operations team to assist. My boss has volunteered himself as he doesn’t think anyone else here is suitable.
Now long story short someone in that team knows I've taken my CISSP exam (Still awaiting the result) and has pushed him and his boss on this without naming names.
So he sends an email out asking for everyone's security certifications etc (that was a fun round robin email as everyone else in the dept were looking at me).
So I replied yada yada... got a the same response as everyone else "thanks" and that was the end of it.
A week or so later I'm chatting with him and suggest he should go for it. I tell him about the exam format 6hours.. 250 questions... and mention its multiple choice.

His response at the multiple choice aspect was more or less to question the worth of the exam purely on that fact alone!!

I was left stunned and am still smarting at the remark, it's the first time I've had anyone be so dismissive of an accreditation particularly of one so highly regarded in the field.

Anyways just wanted to off load and rant a bit lol now that's done I can continue to ignore him and carry on with my studies.

Oh and I have my first job interview next week based on that CISSP alone I shall have the last laugh icon_biggrin.gif
if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was left stunned and am still smarting at the remark, it's the first time I've had anyone be so dismissive of an accreditation particularly of one so highly regarded in the field.

Sounds like he is scared of taking on the CISSP challenge. Don't let it get to you.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    There's plenty of stupid in IT. For example, did you know you can't know anything about switching and routing if you don't have a Cisco cert? icon_rolleyes.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have tons of experience with people getting all butt hurt over certs. They have to challenge you all the time and god forbid you make a mistake and they attack you with "dont you have an MCSE?".

Its jealousy, I would ignore it and use their negativity to fuel your ambitions to succeed.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Retaliate by banging his wife.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Retaliate by banging his wife.

+1 to this icon_thumright.gif
    WIP: 70-647 (5%)
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can sympathize man. When I worked at the phone company my direct supervisor didn't have a clue. His favorite TV show is "The Office" and he managed like that. When I completed the CCNA followed by the CCNP I felt that I was worth more than the $17.xx / hour they were paying me. I asked my boss about potential raises based on my certifications and he said "If everyone got a raise every time they got a new certification everyone would get a certification every day."

That right there was the last straw for me. The guy was so clueless that he made the assumption that one could get a CCNA and a CCNP in one day, completely insulting my achievements that I worked very hard for. Thankfully his boss wasn't such a moron and gave me a little extra but it just wasn't enough because my main problem was ignorant direct management. I guess that's what happens when you put the supervisor of level 1 tech support in charge of the NOC?

Your boss probably feels challenged by your achievements and is trying to hold you down by devaluing your skills, just like my former boss did. By looking for a new job already you have started down the path to getting out of your dead end position.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I have tons of experience with people getting all butt hurt over certs.

What does dynamik's method of funding his certification studies have to do with this topic?

MS
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    eMeS wrote: »
    What does dynamik's method of funding his certification studies has to do with this topic?

MS

hahahahah
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
    Aldur wrote: »
    hahahahah

Looks like you're the target of everyone's humor today....

MS
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    eMeS wrote: »
    What does dynamik's method of funding his certification studies have to do with this topic?

MS

Well played, sir!

(But doesn't his butt hurt enough?)
    Good luck to all!
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Well played, sir!

(But doesn't his butt hurt enough?)

I'd say the point of diminishing returns have been reached. Probably a lot like throwing a hot dog down the hall of your high school....

MS
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It only hurt for like a week or so. You get used to it, just like everything else...
  • Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess that means the SAT test to get into college are worth jack. lol
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Dont sweat it man, lots of people get all butt hurt over certs.

Out of 40ish IT staff where I work there are 2 others that are certed besides me. One has an MCSE NT4 and one has 2 MCP's

Needless to say lots of others get pissy over my certs so in turn i rub it in their face when they give me greif over it. :D
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    yep I hear you guys, and normally I dont let people bother my when they dis certs, most of the time I just take it on the chin, but once you get up to the high level certs even the most cynical of people normally acknowledge the work needed to attain them let alone the knowledge.

Anyways glad to have got it off my chest for now icon_smile.gif

friday... beer anyone ?
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    There's plenty of stupid in IT. For example, did you know you can't know anything about switching and routing if you don't have a Cisco cert? icon_rolleyes.gif

reminds me of a Cisco presales "engineer" who is a CCDA but doesn't know how to ping the gateway from his laptop because he's not MCSE :Rolling Eyes:
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    well I got my results this week (posted elsewhere) and let my boss know. I mentioned I think he should do it.
    So he comes back with another cert in the field of (imo) lesser value and I told him as such, turns out he thought the CISSP was a cisco exam !!
    Sheesh some people, why he didnt just ask for clarification I have no idea.

Pulled him up on the multiple choice (mentioned that CCIE written is also) and he conceded he may have been a tad hasty.

Anyways I've now sent him the info as he's now suddenly interested in it.

Not quite an apology but close as I get with him lol.

PS I had my interview a couple of hours ago and while I think the interview went ok, its quite a jump up the ladder for me so don't think I'll get it on that basis. But I can say it was a good interview and learnt a lot from it.
    Regardless of the outcome I will ask for feedback on this one. As it's outside of my usual remit.

cheers guys icon_smile.gif