Exchange/OutLook: Cannot remove single message from delted items

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am having an issue to which Google has not supplied me a valid answer. We are using Exchange 2003. One of my users, the President of the company of course, has a single message in his delted items which cannot be moved, opened, delted (neither via delete nor shift+del).

The message is from a user who is no longer with the company and whose mailbox has been deleted. I have run the Cleanup Agent (not that I expected that to help). It looks like it is just the header and not the actual message.

Any suggestions? I am about to use exmerge...

Exmerge said it removed it but it in fact DID NOT! HELP!

Comments

• ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Have you tried deleting it from OWA as well as Outlook?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just attempted to delete via OWA and I got the exact same error messages. Cannot be delted, may have already been deleted or moved, or access denied.

Edit: I have found the same message in other people's mail boxes as well. So far, all in the deleted items folder. It looks like the pointer to the original message is stuck since the sender's mailbox was deleted. This was months ago, so I am sure I cannot restore the sender's mailbox from backup.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Try using MFCMAPI.
    Good luck to all!
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Try using MFCMAPI.
    You read my mind...

I just tried to use MFCMapi.exe and when I click on the message I get
    Error:
    Code MAPI_E_CALL_FAILED == 0x80004005
    Function DefaultOpenItemProp(iItem, mfcmaiDO_NOT_REQUEST_MODIFY, lppProp)
    File E:\MFCMAPI\5.0.18\ContentsTaleListCtrl.cpp
    Line 1331

I am unable to delete the message. When I try, I go back in and it is still there.