Changing PC voltage from 220 to 110

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
A friend called and asked me this question and for a moment I felt like a deer caught in the headlight!

If I were to take the motherboard from a 220V PC and install it on a 110V box, that should work, right?

Comments

• AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The motherboard is not an issue, the PSU transforms\regulates the input voltage to the various feeds needed inside the box. You just need to set the PSU to the correct input value (usually a hard switch on the back).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most power supplies will have a little switch to flip between the two. The PSU is what's doing the regulating.
  • GogousaGogousa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    binarysoul wrote: »
    A friend called and asked me this question and for a moment I felt like a deer caught in the headlight!

If I were to take the motherboard from a 220V PC and install it on a 110V box, that should work, right?

If it is just the motherboard, it doesn't matter because the motherboard always use the same voltage that all the power supplies gives on the inside (12v, 5V, 3.3V and 1.3 if I don't remember wrong) , of course if we are talking about the same type of power supply, besides that could get 110 or 220 on the outside.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    The motherboard works on DC, not AC. So it won't matter what PC the motherboard came from, it's the PSU that you'd have to change to work with the country current.

On the PSU, there would normally be two types:

Type 1: The PSU will automatically take 100-240v

Silencer_Red_3827.jpg

Type 2: The PSU will have a hard switch that you manually have to select a voltage aoudn where the kettle lead plugs into

PC_Power_Supply.jpg

-Ken