Your thoughts on Android and the Motorola Droid?

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
Just wondering what some of you think about the Android platform and perhaps more specifically the Motorola Droid. I haven't been this excited about a phone launch in a long time, as I am a fairly dedicated Verizon customer (where I travel often really leaves me with no other sensible choice) and it's been a long time since anything really interesting has come to Verizon with maybe the exception of the Storm but that to me proved to be disappointing at least in the beginning.

Stopped by Best Buy today and pre-ordered one to secure my spot to get one tomorrow and I can't wait!

Comments

• slideoffslideoff Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wish the Motorola Droid was released for Tmobile aswell. I currently have a T-Mobile G1 (aka HTC Dream) running Android. I love it. Its a smooth OS.. it multi-tasks (which iPhone doesn't) and its nice to be able to use both an onscreen keyboard and a physical keyboard. Im debating jumping over to Verizon just because of the Droid
    "Jeez louise, I can't wait to get my MCSE and quit this job." - Nick Burns
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I have a Palm Pre (on spring). Ive been wanting to goto Verizon since my entire family and most friends use it, but they never had any good phones.

The pre is nice, but its becoming more and more sluggish over time, and the build qualify left some things to be desired. If the droid proves to be a great phone it could be my time to switch.
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Looks pretty decent... will be interesting to see how it compares to the iphone. I personally love the iphone for the most part. Been using it since release and now actually have 2 since I got one for work also.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've got a MyTouch 3g and its the best phone I've ever had. Multitasking is excellent and its significantly faster than an iPhone. I can usually get a full day without having to charge my phone which the iPhone also can't say.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    I have the sprint HTC-Hero, their android version, and I pretty much am in love with it. Its browser is slick, touch screen is super responsive... after having a black berry the keypad took a few days to get used to but its a pretty awesome phone. I've never used a Iphone but if I wouldn't trade this phone for anything. Awesome integration of everything too... facebook, twitter, any web based app you can think of pretty much.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just picked up my Droid. I can honestly say I have never been more impressed by any other phone before. My initial first 15 minutes of usage has been very enjoyable. I haven't used an android based device before but it's very intuitive I think. I love the multi-tasking ability, very very nice.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    BigTone wrote: »
    I have the sprint HTC-Hero, their android version, and I pretty much am in love with it. Its browser is slick, touch screen is super responsive... after having a black berry the keypad took a few days to get used to but its a pretty awesome phone. I've never used a Iphone but if I wouldn't trade this phone for anything. Awesome integration of everything too... facebook, twitter, any web based app you can think of pretty much.

I am thinking about upgrading to that phone. I have heard many good things about it.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think I might get a Droid also. I have a Storm now which is ok, but I really want something with a keyboard. I had an LG before the Storm with a full keyboard and I really miss it. Let us know if you run into anything with the new phone msteinhilber.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I think I might get a Droid also. I have a Storm now which is ok, but I really want something with a keyboard. I had an LG before the Storm with a full keyboard and I really miss it. Let us know if you run into anything with the new phone msteinhilber.

So far so good, I purchased a copy of Remote RDP from the app market and it worked well through a VPN to one of our sites. Somewhat sluggish but usable for a quick session. The keyboard is a big improvement from my Storm and Tour, I can plow through messages with the on-screen in portrait or landscape mode just as fast as I could on my iPod touch, probably faster considering I find the correction/recognition software to work faster and better.

The one gripe I have which I also had with the Storm is related to the optional dock. You can't fit your phone in the dock if you use any sort of case that wraps around your phone. I picked up a Body Glove snap-on cover so now I'm torn between returning the case and rolling with a leather belt pouch for the phone and keeping the dock, or returning the dock.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've never owned a fancy phone... still using the free ones. So I can't say I keep up with these phones, management decides what we support and normally gives us 20 minutes with the phones and declares us "ceritfied"...

What were your thoughts on it's active sync support, clean as the iPhone?
    Is the interface pretty consistent across models (easier to talk people through tasks)?
    How long is music/video play back good for before the battery runs out?
    How about lock down features such as those with BES, how do you configure them is there a server or just a plug in for Exchange/Lotus?
    -Daniel
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I've never owned a fancy phone... still using the free ones. So I can't say I keep up with these phones, management decides what we support and normally gives us 20 minutes with the phones and declares us "ceritfied"...

What were your thoughts on it's active sync support, clean as the iPhone?
    Is the interface pretty consistent across models (easier to talk people through tasks)?
    How long is music/video play back good for before the battery runs out?
    How about lock down features such as those with BES, how do you configure them is there a server or just a plug in for Exchange/Lotus?

I wouldn't say that android based phones are really a good fit for the enterprise (I've only used one, the Droid now and just for a day, so take this with a grain of salt). We don't use Exchange at the office and I cancelled my hosted Exchange account with intention of setting up my own Exchange server which I never got around to yet so I can't speak for how well that works.

The interface from what I understand through my research can come plain old vanilla Android, or can come with UI customizations from the vendor so it's probably not something that would be very easy to walk people through but as I mentioned - I've only used the Droid.

I've been doing a LOT of playing around and giving the phone a serious workout, and my battery life has certainly reflected that so it's hard to gauge how good the battery life will be at this point. A lot of other reviews I have read leading up to release have mentioned you may want to keep a spare charger at the office depending on your usage though. I have two docks now though, one for my nightstand at home and one for my desk so I'm not too concerned about that.

Nothing at the moment (that I know of) for manipulating phone settings/applications centrally. Although I'm sure it's probably on some companies roadmap to implement something like this as they grow in popularity.
    I find it easy enough just to keep my phone plugged in to the USB drive when i'm not using it at work and I haven't had a hard time with it, and I've used the GPS and everything. I definately have to plug it in at night though.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A guy at work got one today, and he loves it. It looks pretty cool from what I've seen.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    A g1 was my first experience with a smartphone. I played around with various models at the shop and the whole experience just clicked for me with the g1. I did some research to make sure that there was an rdp client and an Exchange client available and have been quite happy with it ever since. I wouldn't mind it being a bit beefier as it bogs down every now and then, but I still enjoy working with it greatly. No rush for me to upgrade currently I'll look at that farther down my contract and see what Android based phones are available or coming out soon at that time.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I picked up my Droid today and I love it. I can say with great confidence that it is the best phone I have ever owned. My only gripe is with the physical keyboard. I am coming from an LG Voyager and I really loved that keyboard. I didn't think I would have an issue with this keyboard (lots of reviewers disliked it) and I am inclined to agree. It is very responsive and only takes about an hour to learn to truly use the phone. One thing I really enjoy is the visual alerts that come up for the various messages you receive. I get a different icon for gmail and exchange making it very easy to tell which is which.

As for Exchange setup, one of the easiest I have dealt with. I found it much easier then the iPhone (I have setup a couple at work) and easier then the Blackberries. For whatever reason at my work we are unable to sync the Blackberries with Exchange. We ultimately just setup a forward address that sends it to a blackberry e-mail account. Before I came they had the same setup for iPhones, but after doing so Googling I discovered that the SSL being default on was holding us up. On the Droid it literally took we about 3 minutes in my car to setup my work e-mail. E-mail address, username including domain, and server address. Bam it synced and I was e-mailing my boss to tell him his iPhone sucked and that the Droid was the best.

This is the first phone I've had that could do Facebook, Gmail, and Exchange. I now will be unable to go back to a regular phone. This is also the first time I signed a two year contract with Verizon. So finally, jump in folks the water is just fine. Also, I got mine at Bestbuy as well and really recommend that everyone go there to get theirs. No mail in rebate and they offer a slightly more expensive, but better protection plan. Besides the annoying teenagers before me (not getting a Droid, switching from MetroPCS) it was the smoothest getting of a new phone I have ever had.

Oh, last gripe, the USB cable provided is way too short!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    One thing I will say with the HTC Hero Sprint Android phone is that the camera really stinks.... Its super sensitive and I get really blurry pictures, plus no flash on this model. I was much happier with the blackberry camera.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One thing I will say with the HTC Hero Sprint Android phone is that the camera really stinks.... Its super sensitive and I get really blurry pictures, plus no flash on this model. I was much happier with the blackberry camera.

Which BB did you have?

Also besides the camera sucking (I have heard that from several people) how does the phone hold up for you? I have heard about a battery life issue ( a known issue with the software) but what about the market place? My main reason for wanting that phone is browsing. I have a BB pearl and browsing sucks and the screen sucks. How is the browsing experience for you.
    knwminus wrote: »
    Which BB did you have?

Also besides the camera sucking (I have heard that from several people) how does the phone hold up for you? I have heard about a battery life issue ( a known issue with the software) but what about the market place? My main reason for wanting that phone is browsing. I have a BB pearl and browsing sucks and the screen sucks. How is the browsing experience for you.

I had the pearl, which I didn't have a problem with... my contract was up at work and they let me upgrade :) The browsing was eh... but I really just used it phone email and text... now this guy I got now, is a browsing monster. The thing is slick and touch screen is pretty dead on. I'd rather use it then the netbook I have.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□

You are right about the camera. It's pretty awful and I've found that I only use it for point/click stuff now and nothing serious. It's a pretty bad drawback but the rest of the phone is so nice I forgive it.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/